performance driving school
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Dr. Design
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, performance driving school in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; hey guy does anyone know of a good, affordable performance driving school around LA? i dont intend on spending a ...
    donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

performance driving school

hey guy does anyone know of a good, affordable performance driving school around LA? i dont intend on spending a grand or something on this. but i really want to enjoy mt ATS more and my skills are just not good enough. i drive well enough to get from A to B. but thats it. i need to learn. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Re: performance driving school

Sign up for a local autocross. Should be about $50. I've never been, but El Toro looks like a great place for an autox...similar to the site my region races at.

www.solo2.com

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

http://www.faasst.com/HP.html

Looks like there is one near Bakersfield. Probably a couple hour drive.

my friend suggested going to a track day. but i doubt they teach u as much as they would in an actualy performance driving school....right? i really dont know.

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black
    Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    my friend suggested going to a track day. but i doubt they teach u as much as they would in an actualy performance driving school....right? i really dont know.
    trackdays will usually have some instruction but wont be formalized or as structured as a school.

if the goal is to learn how to drive id take the school. most schools should have different packages to suit your needs. socal tracks are buttonwillow, willow springs (streets of willow), chuckwalla and pahrump.

norcal theres laguna, sears and thunderhill

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

www.cadillacrace.com.

They offer driving instruction and various track day opportunities with other Cadillac owners. We have seen a couple of ATS vehicles at the last couple of events. The sanctioning body is www.speedventures.com and they have a bunch of other track events and HPDE's.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    hey guy does anyone know of a good, affordable performance driving school around LA? i dont intend on spending a grand or something on this. but i really want to enjoy mt ATS more and my skills are just not good enough. i drive well enough to get from A to B. but thats it. i need to learn. thanks.
    donavo and donavo like this.

Just a heads up - I was planning on going to a high performance driving school for the same reasons you were (it's hard to find roads with appropriate turns where you can really drive fast enough to practice heel-toeing). I bailed on the idea after reviewing my auto insurance policy. It seems extremely unlikely you would hit anything in an educational setting, but I wasn't about to risk it. I looked online some and found that some companies (one in particular that I won't mention) will drop you simply because you called to ask about coverage at a high performance driving school (yes, driving school, not questions about coverage for racing).

My impression was that back in the good old days, the insuring agreement stated that you wouldn't be covered if you were participating in a timed event. Then, a lot of people went to these high performance driving schools, and a few people stuffed their cars into the wall. When they went to litigate, the insurer ended up having to pay out because it wasn't a "timed event." The insurer (and all other insurers) took note and rewrote their insuring agreements accordingly. Mine now states something to the effect of you won't be covered if you are driving on a track, or something that is used temporarily as a track (I imagine this would include autocross).

I have no experience on the subject other than what I read online, read in my insuring agreement, and talked about with a good friend who is an insurance agent. In other words, there may people on the forum that know a lot more about this than I do, so if anyone is out there, chime in as I would like a good solution for taking my car to a high performance driving school. I know that there are small specialty companies that will insure you on the track, but I believe your premium will be about 5% of the cars value and the deductible will be about 10% of your cars value (may have those numbers reversed). In any event, they sound prohibitively expensive (5% premium of $40,000 is $2,000) to take your car to a high performance driving school once - $2,000 premium plus $500 to $2,000 or so for the school.

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    Just a heads up - I was planning on going to a high performance driving school for the same reasons you were (it's hard to find roads with appropriate turns where you can really drive fast enough to practice heel-toeing). I bailed on the idea after reviewing my auto insurance policy. It seems extremely unlikely you would hit anything in an educational setting, but I wasn't about to risk it. I looked online some and found that some companies (one in particular that I won't mention) will drop you simply because you called to ask about coverage at a high performance driving school (yes, driving school, not questions about coverage for racing).

My impression was that back in the good old days, the insuring agreement stated that you wouldn't be covered if you were participating in a timed event. Then, a lot of people went to these high performance driving schools, and a few people stuffed their cars into the wall. When they went to litigate, the insurer ended up having to pay out because it wasn't a "timed event." The insurer (and all other insurers) took note and rewrote their insuring agreements accordingly. Mine now states something to the effect of you won't be covered if you are driving on a track, or something that is used temporarily as a track (I imagine this would include autocross).

I have no experience on the subject other than what I read online, read in my insuring agreement, and talked about with a good friend who is an insurance agent. In other words, there may people on the forum that know a lot more about this than I do, so if anyone is out there, chime in as I would like a good solution for taking my car to a high performance driving school. I know that there are small specialty companies that will insure you on the track, but I believe your premium will be about 5% of the cars value and the deductible will be about 10% of your cars value (may have those numbers reversed). In any event, they sound prohibitively expensive (5% premium of $40,000 is $2,000) to take your car to a high performance driving school once - $2,000 premium plus $500 to $2,000 or so for the school.
    you are correct but i wasnt even considering taking MY car to there. i was thinking one of thsoe schools where they already have cars...but those are kind of pricey for a day of training. there is no way in hell i would risk an unexperienced noob driver (me) take my car on a track and somehow screw it up lol. id rather screw up another companys 'vete...haha. but those are kind of pricey....i only see those for like around 1k....

I've seen driving schools suggest renting cars. Unsure of the possibility of getting a rental that is RWD with a stick . . . But, it's a possibility I suppose

The one's were they have cars are very pricey from what I have seen. I'd love to do the Bondurant school out in AZ (I think), but that is several thousand dollars and several days. By the time you get flights, hotels, etc. on top of the cost of the school, it's a serious investment in your driving.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post

Track day insurance can be had for $150 per day, with deals for purchasing multiple days of coverage. Considering what can happen even at a DE, it's well worth it IMO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.