Buy now or wait for a year?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Buy now or wait for a year? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; The question, seek out new car now, or wait to see what's around the corner. I find that recently a ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Buy now or wait for a year?

The question, seek out new car now, or wait to see what's around the corner.

I find that recently a 2.0T premium 6MT OBM with color overridden red interior occupies a lot of my mind.

A recent test drive affirmed my decision that sometime in the near future I will want to trade the V in for a compact Cadillac. It takes me back to my roots and I simply enjoy the lighter, nimbler platform to the 4100lb luxury cruiser.

Where I'm having difficulty is trying to decide whether I want to pickup one now or wait possibly for the ATS-V/ F80 introduction which may be much later this year or even early next.

Financially it makes sense to wait, I'd have a larger down payment ready and would be able to payoff some bills, however, the old V has been sitting for several weeks now, with only occasional mundane trips out and a lousy autocross weekend. Which means if I wait, I'll have a 8-10 month hiatus from a sports sedan.

What I'm concerned about and would like input on, is whether the new-car charm will wear off and I might find that the ATS is a bit too mundane or lacking a certain pizzazz that the CTS-V enjoys

If I've learned anything about buying a new car once a year it's that there's a aura of 'it'll all work out' that comes into play when trying to make compromises. My compromise was getting into an American sedan with a V8 that's one size too big and 800lbs too heavy.

The CTS-V ultimately doesn't suit my desires.

The ATS does, but, for those that have owned V's in the past (ideally) or other higher-performing vehicles, I want to know your take on long-term ownership. Do you find that the practicality of 24 mpg combined and 'just enough' power makes up for a perceived downgrade?

I'd like to think that in premium trim, the ATS can out-manuver the CTS-V around an autocross course (my primary track home) but with an ATS-V and F80 M3 looming, I find myself saying 'what if' to a top-tier version of a car I've been smitten with. Maybe not so much with the pure power aspect, because I seem to have convinced myself that 556hp is simply not usable for 90% of the time I want to be enjoying driving the car (on public roads) and therefore less power (thus more time to enjoy it) is actually better.

Which leads me back to picking up a 2.0T. There's room in there to cure my mod-bug with maybe a tune, but it's not so fast that I'll risk my license every time I press the go-pedal. However, I can't help but go back to my old 'it'll work out, I'll take the slower car because I think I'll enjoy it more' and apply the theory that this generally, won't work.

Which makes the decision difficult for me.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bdwalters is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Re: Buy now or wait for a year?

Cars cost a lot of money. Take your time on the decision. I would wait until the ATS-V is out. I think a moded 2.0T should be plenty of power for most people, but that twin-turbo V6 sounds awfully nice. In the meantime, enjoy your CTS. It's a great car.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    From all you have said, I would not get 2.0 ATS. If anything get a 3.6, (i wish i had) but as someone else posted, you're probably better off waiting for ATS V or maybe the new M3/M4.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    From all you have said, I would not get 2.0 ATS. If anything get a 3.6, (i wish i had) but as someone else posted, you're probably better off waiting for ATS V or maybe the new M3/M4.
    He'll want a manual. He may be flighty and change his mind all the stankin' time, but he wants a manual...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    He'll want a manual. He may be flighty and change his mind all the stankin' time, but he wants a manual...
    You know me so well... wait a minute, do you know who I am ????

wut.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    wut.
    You asked who I was? I don't know.

:

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    The question, seek out new car now, or wait to see what's around the corner.

I find that recently a 2.0T premium 6MT OBM with color overridden red interior occupies a lot of my mind.
    Well, cars are an emotional purchase, and since I am one of the more vulnerable victims of this phenomenon, I would have to say that that is a really sweet package and colour combination: personally, I would have it in a heartbeat. It's a fantastic package, and obviously unique.

Rozay619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Honda Accord / bye bye ATS LEMON

Wait... too many issues with the first year productions of the ATS... I'm already contemplating trading mine in for a ATS-V if and when Caddy decides to release one!! My 2 cents..

bollyjack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Rozay619 View Post
    Wait... too many issues with the first year productions of the ATS... I'm already contemplating trading mine in for a ATS-V if and when Caddy decides to release one!! My 2 cents..
    Won't that be a waste of money?

When the 2013 CTS comes out, like anybody, i'm curious about the ramification of trading in my new 2013 ATS, but i'm also thinking, that would be alot of wasted money.

What's convincing?

Quote Originally Posted by bollyjack View Post
    Won't that be a waste of money?

When the 2013 CTS comes out, like anybody, i'm curious about the ramification of trading in my new 2013 ATS, but i'm also thinking, that would be alot of wasted money.

What's convincing?
    Sure it would be a waste of money.. I didn't say that i have made up my mind, simply that i am contemplating it! Lets not get off topic here!!

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozay619
    I know. While I don't have issues of significance, the tranny frustrates me daily. I'd wait for the 8 speed, not because it has 8 speeds, but hopefully because it will be tuned correctly, unlike the 6 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    I know. While I don't have issues of significance, the tranny frustrates me daily. I'd wait for the 8 speed, not because it has 8 speeds, but hopefully because it will be tuned correctly, unlike the 6 speed.
    Did you buy a Manual or AUTO... I read some reviews that the 6spd had some power issues with 3rd and 4th gear... so i opted for the Auto!

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

There was an issue with the first version of the shifter, but that was corrected. I have had no problems, and really enjoy the manual. The magazine road testers complain about the auto in almost all reviews, so the eight speed will probably be worth waiting for if you want an auto.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.