Car & Driver comparison: IS 350 F Sport/335i/ATS 3.6 - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Car & Driver comparison: IS 350 F Sport/335i/ATS 3.6 in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Oh, please. They are fine. I see little to no bias with them......
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Car & Driver comparison: IS 350 F Sport/335i/ATS 3.6

Oh, please. They are fine. I see little to no bias with them...

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Pretty much every review I have read says the ATS is the best handling, most fun car to drive. Then they bash the hell out of CUE and talk about how bad the transmissions are. I find CUE to be very user friendly and my car shifts just fine. I don't care about 0-60 times either I just want plenty of power when passing slower cars and going up hills. The ATS delivers most everything I want in a sports sedan. My only concern is fuel mileage, I think it could be better. My ATS looks awesome and stands out in a crowd. While the competition is starting to look like clones of each other the ATS has a look of its own and I like it. I guess if I cared what these auto experts wrote then I would buy nothing but Honda Accords.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I don't care for car comparisons once theirs BMW and or Toyota(lexus) involved. They all just start Humping the Lexus and kissing the ground the BMW rolls on.

Its annoying how those two always come on top, I've driven a 3 series before I got my caddy. I'm not knocking it, its a nice car, but it really doesn't blow my socks off.. its just a nice car. But the interior of the BMW was BORING though, yet they seem to just LOVE its interior.

The lexus isn't anything to write home about, its just a decent car, but like Richard hammond on top gear said "Lexus are the librarians of the car world"

The ATS is the newest coolest thing, I truly feel that its better than the 3 series, cue works fine, you need to live with cue for a while to get it, you cant just hop in and appreciate it.

I'm not saying all this because I own an ATS, no bias. I chose the ATS AFTER driving all the others, I truly feel car reviews are just being there regular biased selves and praising unworthy imports.

RXUYDC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Premium

The thing I found puzzling was this sentence in the review of the ATS

"Delightfully neutral handling and hefty steering make this the most engaging car for a run through the hills"

Firstly, much as I love the ATS, I would never describe the steering as "hefty", although maybe Cadillac have recalibrated it on later builds than mine?

Secondly, the Lexus wins largely on "the twisting, climbing, kinking, plunging roads", which sounds like hills to me. Doesn't that contradict what they say about the ATS then?

Also, I get to drive through hills like that maybe once a week. The other six days I'm on freeways, city streets and straight suburban roads, and don't want to drive a car that is "remote and lazy when insufficently challenged" as the Lexus is described. And if I make my buying decision solely on the comfort of the seats I'd buy another Volvo.

The ATS will never win until its transmission is improved. It doesn't even have to be an eight speed, it just has to stop screaming at me and getting confused every time I press the accelerator a little more than usual.

C&D used to be a great magazine, opinionated and humorous, but now? What does "as excellent as herpes" even mean?

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Maybe he was trying to say that it is as excellent as the time he had getting herpes?
    Quote Originally Posted by RXUYDC View Post
    The thing I found puzzling was this sentence in the review of the ATS

"Delightfully neutral handling and hefty steering make this the most engaging car for a run through the hills"

Firstly, much as I love the ATS, I would never describe the steering as "hefty", although maybe Cadillac have recalibrated it on later builds than mine?

Secondly, the Lexus wins largely on "the twisting, climbing, kinking, plunging roads", which sounds like hills to me. Doesn't that contradict what they say about the ATS then?

Also, I get to drive through hills like that maybe once a week. The other six days I'm on freeways, city streets and straight suburban roads, and don't want to drive a car that is "remote and lazy when insufficently challenged" as the Lexus is described. And if I make my buying decision solely on the comfort of the seats I'd buy another Volvo.

The ATS will never win until its transmission is improved. It doesn't even have to be an eight speed, it just has to stop screaming at me and getting confused every time I press the accelerator a little more than usual.

C&D used to be a great magazine, opinionated and humorous, but now? What does "as excellent as herpes" even mean?

Jercat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 G8 GXP

Quote Originally Posted by bdwalters View Post
    I'm surprised that the IS was able to win this. The initial reviews of it said that it didn't drive any better than the previous model. This is really a disaster for BMW. With the new Q50, A4, and C coming out soon, the 3 might not win any comparisons with the F30 going forward. The ATS and Q50 will probably reign as the most fun to drive, stealing that traditional victory from the 3, and one of the other cars will take the best overall prize as well. BMW better get its stuff together or the 3 is going to be just another good sports sedan that happens to have a little more room and slightly better mileage than the other models, if that.

As for Cadillac, where is the 8-speed Aisin auto (besides in the CTS Vsport and probably the ATS-V)? Put that and a few more CUE bug fixes into the ATS and you have a clear winner in all of these comparason tests! Is the 8-speed really that much more expensive? I had hoped that it would be available in the 2014 model, but I guess I'm going to have to wait a little longer. I just wish I hadn't driven the 3. The handling and breaking are sub-par, but man that powertrain is something wonderful to behold... Cadillac, give me a comperable powertrain, along with your superior driving dynamics, and I'll be one happy man!
    I agree about where is the 8 speed, but if they can't program a 6 speed right then an 8 speed won't be any better. Also the 8 speed is available on the 2014 standard V6 CTS.

MyfirstCad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Thundergray 13 ATS Performance V6

For me, all three cars are great. We customers are rather spoiled to have such choices. Overall what did it for me was the styling of the ATS, it looks like nothing else on the road. The Lexus actually reminds me of a Kia Optima and I won't ever get over the BMW dolphin forehead front end.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jercat View Post
    I agree about where is the 8 speed, but if they can't program a 6 speed right then an 8 speed won't be any better. Also the 8 speed is available on the 2014 standard V6 CTS.
    Even though I'm not a fan of automatics, you won't see many V drivers complaining about their 6ATs...

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jercat
    You're right. All that slipping has to go. Transitioning from cruise to acceleration is painful.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy

Actually it's not at all. Go drive a 335 and and listen to it bang off shifts with ease. Additionally, it fully engages at a very low RPM and stays fully engaged no matter what the drivers doing unless it is going to absolutely harm the engine unlike our car that slips like a little bitch between 2000 and 3500 RPM. I posted videos and comments about this already it's a very true phenomenon.

But the ATS suspension and steering are way ahead of the BMW. I tolerate the transmission to get enjoy the rest of the car. I could not though tolerate the BMW steering and suspension just to enjoy their transmission.
    The inline 3 liter Turbo 6 pulls like a beast immediately. Our X5 has the same engine and I truly believe they have underrated the HP and torque numbers.

MyfirstCad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Thundergray 13 ATS Performance V6

So a 335i will do 0-60 in 4.6. Somewhere I remember reading the ATS V is supposed to be about the same potentcy. So does that mean the V will be sucking on M3 exhaust fumes?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by MyfirstCad View Post
    So a 335i will do 0-60 in 4.6. Somewhere I remember reading the ATS V is supposed to be about the same potentcy. So does that mean the V will be sucking on M3 exhaust fumes?
    .3-.5seconds worth of deficite with the ATS 3.6 and 2.0 are in that they need 3rd gear to pull 60.

Truthfully, I don't really care how fast it reaches 60 as long as its around the mid 4 range.

You're buying the wrong 70-80K car if you want to go fast in a straight line, because you can accomplish going *much* faster for half the price in a new Mustang GT. Or even a ZL1 or GT500, and if you want to eyeball what you can get for 70K used, the sky is nearly the limit.

This car and market are more about being nimble canyon and track carvers rather than brute force road-racers.

Even V6 accord's and Camry's will be on your heels with sub 6 second 60 times these days.
    huna and huna like this.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

yeah people just look at 0-60 times to determine if a car is better than another, wich is stupid.

I like Toyotas newest dumb Camry commercials where they have the brainless "Actowners" giving there testimonials

"Its like a race car!"

no its not! they shoved a v6 into a FWD family car, its not a race car, it still just spins out if you hit the gas too hard, its still FWD and will never EVER handle like a true RWD performance based car. I dont understand the mentality...

"Oh my FWD family car Toyota Camry has a 240HP v6! that automatically makes it better than your Rear wheel drive, purposebuilt SPORT sedan Cadillac ATS, because it has a 2.5 with less power. "

-not that I HAVE a 2.5, I was just trying to make a point, seems me 2.0 still has about 30HP on the v6 camry lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.