ATS Paint Job
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS Paint Job in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have a black raven ATS. My prior car was a black Merc C300 (09). This mini-review comes from someone ...
    Major7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

ATS Paint Job

I have a black raven ATS. My prior car was a black Merc C300 (09). This mini-review comes from someone who lives in a cold state (MI) and takes extremely good care of their car.

I have hand washed most of my cars, with few exceptions. My '09 Merc C300 saw only two machine washes, and then only three years of ownership. My ATS will never see a machine wash.

Within weeks of owning my Mercedes, I could see significant swirl marks. Not so with my ATS. After a harsh winter (I picked up my ATS in early January) I made a thorough spring washing and polishing to survey the damage. GM >> Mercedes in the paint department! I am absolutely astonished how a car could go through a cold winter with so many washings and come out with virtually no swirl marks. There are some micro-scratches, but a round of meguiars machine glaze applied by hand gave me what is for all intents and purposes a factory paint job. The exterior paint engineers at GM are doing a hell of a job.

Well done, GM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I have to agree, I'm at 4000 miles now and the paint looks almost as perfect as it did when I bought it, and I have been to carwashes unfortunately :-(

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: ATS Paint Job

I've always been impressed by Cadillac paint. Take away 16 years of door dings and my 1997 Catera still looks showroom new. No rock chips on the hood like newer cars that I own. The car has a bad rep from a reliability standpoint, but nobody has ever complained about the paint job.

pissedoffwookiee is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

I'm still waiting to be impressed, my dealer had to trade for my car and its unbelievable how badly the previous dealer beat on the paint. my dealer has had two of their detail departments (they have multiple dealerships) work on it and it still looks terrible. first detailer said paint was in bad shape second detailer said car needs to be wet sanded. good news is lot attendant noted the bad paint when picking up the car and that dealer acknowledged the flaws and would pay for fix if detailers can't buff out. for a month old car it looks awful so bad I'm worried about turning it in at end of lease.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Cadillac uses the same ceramic based clear as GM does on corvettes. I've found that it holds-up fairly well to swirling, but it will still fall victim to rock chips.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    Cadillac uses the same ceramic based clear as GM does on corvettes. I've found that it holds-up fairly well to swirling, but it will still fall victim to rock chips.
    Is that why when I tap on my cars body panels they sound like plastic instead of metal?
    Jones atsnh and Jones atsnh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    Is that why when I tap on my cars body panels they sound like plastic instead of metal?
    No, They sound like plastic because they *are* plastic.

The only steel body panels on the ATS are the rear 1/4, truck and roof. The rest are aluminum(doors, hood and fenders) or plastic (front & rear fascias).

Although the steel portions are very thin metal, which can still lead it twoard sounding tinny or hollow, which might make it sound artificial.

Major7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Interesting note on the roof. It oilcans significantly when you hand wax it, and I've even heard is oilcan in a touch-less car wash with the water pressure. I thought it was going to dent when I was waxing it, but it came back to the original position.

Rozay619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Honda Accord / bye bye ATS LEMON

Those of you with good looking paint are lucky!! Being from California i'm fortunate not having to deal with the shitty weather like MI... But as for my Black Raven ATS, the paint looks like SHIT!!! Been to the dealer 7 times to get it corrected and now they wont even let me make an appt. for the paint. Cadillac Customer Service is no more help either!! The people i have dealt with took days to return calls and i'm fed up with their lack of Customer Service... Guess my luck has run out with this car. Should have never let my wife pick black... SMH :-(

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post

The only steel body panels on the ATS are the rear 1/4, truck and roof. The rest are aluminum(doors, hood and fenders) or plastic (front & rear fascias).

Although the steel portions are very thin metal, which can still lead it twoard sounding tinny or hollow, which might make it sound artificial.
    My hood is aluminum but the doors, fenders, roof and quarters are steel. I must have gotten short-changed on my car. Bert

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post

From the reading I have done, the only major body panel which is aluminum is the hood.

Edit: Sorry Bert, I was researching this further when you must have posted.

You're right.

The new cts uses the aluminum doors, not the ats

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozay619 View Post
    Those of you with good looking paint are lucky!! Being from California i'm fortunate not having to deal with the shitty weather like MI... But as for my Black Raven ATS, the paint looks like SHIT!!! Been to the dealer 7 times to get it corrected and now they wont even let me make an appt. for the paint. Cadillac Customer Service is no more help either!! The people i have dealt with took days to return calls and i'm fed up with their lack of Customer Service... Guess my luck has run out with this car. Should have never let my wife pick black... SMH :-(
    black shows even the most minute imperfections in the paint. the same amount of scratches in a silver car would be imperceptible.

id take it to a professional detailer to have the paint corrected. most dealership "detailers" do not know what theyre doing and end up doing more damage to the car than correcting. there was someone on this board who has a CTS-V2 brand new and the dealership somehow screwed up the paint and only made it worse trying to fix it.

or if youre willing to, you can correct it yourself but it will take a bit if time, depending on your attention to detail and willingness (or lack of) to let some scratches go and not try to fix them.

search for junkman (hes on this forum and many others) on how to wash and correct your paint as a good starting point.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rozay619 View Post
    Should have never let my wife pick black.
    Yes, we totally believe you had a choice.

Rozay619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Honda Accord / bye bye ATS LEMON

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Yes, we totally believe you had a choice.
    LMAO... Do we ever?!?!? :-P

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.