Why Doesn't the Luxury Trim come with Vertical Headlamps? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Why Doesn't the Luxury Trim come with Vertical Headlamps? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I hear this a lot about people being surprised their ATS doesn't have HIDs or LED accent lights and it ...
    Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Why Doesn't the Luxury Trim come with Vertical Headlamps?

I hear this a lot about people being surprised their ATS doesn't have HIDs or LED accent lights and it never made sense to me that the dealer let that happen. Its clear Cadillac included them only with the top two collections to entice people to spring for one of those collections. So how could it be that dealers didn't make sure buyers knew that? I mean they make more money off a Performance or Premium. I'm sure there are poor salespeople but it seems there are more surprised buyers for that to explain it. I'm beginning to wonder if good sales people are losing sales because customers are expecting HIDs, LEDs, etc. and getting turned off when told they have to pay a lot more to get packages that include the HIDs. Even the lowliest of Mustangs, for example, comes with HIDs and LED accents. If I was selling ATSs and lost sales because I told customers our base or Luxury line doesn't come with HIDs, I might decide to keep my mouth shut on the issue and that could explain why so many ATS buyers get caught out by this.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I hear this a lot about people being surprised their ATS doesn't have HIDs or LED accent lights and it never made sense to me that the dealer let that happen. Its clear Cadillac included them only with the top two collections to entice people to spring for one of those collections. So how could it be that dealers didn't make sure buyers knew that? I mean they make more money off a Performance or Premium. I'm sure there are poor salespeople but it seems there are more surprised buyers for that to explain it. I'm beginning to wonder if good sales people are losing sales because customers are expecting HIDs, LEDs, etc. and getting turned off when told they have to pay a lot more to get packages that include the HIDs. Even the lowliest of Mustangs, for example, comes with HIDs and LED accents. If I was selling ATSs and lost sales because I told customers our base or Luxury line doesn't come with HIDs, I might decide to keep my mouth shut on the issue and that could explain why so many ATS buyers get caught out by this.
    Nah, I don't believe that's the case. You can bet your bottom dollar buyers come in with their minds made up that they want either the base or luxury trim, and didn't bother to notice or read the specs carefully or did a side-by-side comparison that Cadillac provides you on the web site. This is NOT a guarded secret! Probably tell the dealer this is what I want, no more or no less.....then are shocked when they don't get everything. When you put in your order, the salesperson will go down the list of the model you chose, telling you what the trim model comes with and what options you want. I'm sure if they did their homework or had questions what a model has buyers should/would have spoken up! That's on them. Your not buying a toaster for cripe sake; you wouldn't check thoroughly what your getting for your money?

As for the Mustang, yes it has HID's but little else in the base model. NONE of them have the LED front lights or fogs....only REAR tail lights (Led's ) which practically all cars have now.....and we are talking a Mustang! But I agree, all Cadillac should have HIDS at this point....but guess what....if they did, I swear we'd have buyers who would complain that they hate them and wouldn't want them!!!

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

One of the dealerships I went to specifically showed me the lighting at night when I was looking at the Luxury version. Its 90% of what sold me on the Performance trim. Maybe just uninformed/lazy salespeople otherwise. However, knowing I was spending a good bit of money on a built-for-me car, I looked over the spec sheet probably a hundred times before finally signing the paperwork.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

I purchased my ATS because of the lighting. Not to say it was the main reason but when I saw it light up like a spaceship at night after I took it home for a test drive, I was sold. I would be pretty damn bummed if I got a Lux model and then saw the lights of the Per/Pre after the fact. I think all the dealers need to point out the lighting options for all models. If I was a salesman I would show a potential buyer a Premium model with all options then step down from there informing the potential customer of what options are not included on the lower models. Let them then decide on which model to go with based off of an informed decision.

PAO56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 SRX Performance (Red), '13 2.5 Base ATS (Opulent Blue)

Im probably one of the rare customers who was simply looking for the base model without all the bells and bling.....my '12 SRX Performance model has those......so 2.5 base with CUE as the only option....drove off the lot tax title and tags for $33K......its my daily commuter for 103 mile round trip each day MD to Northern VA averaging 29-30 MPG per tank at the moment......but I did research each trim to see what I would get and what I really needed in a daily commuter, thus the base model fit my needs.....I knew what I wanted before I ever sent the first email to the dealer after searching inventories on line......not faulting anyone or any dealership...but simply be an informed consumer, regardless of what you are buying....
    rustybear3 and rustybear3 like this.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by sqkid89 View Post
    One of the dealerships I went to specifically showed me the lighting at night when I was looking at the Luxury version. Its 90% of what sold me on the Performance trim.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post
    I purchased my ATS because of the lighting. Not to say it was the main reason but when I saw it light up like a spaceship at night after I took it home for a test drive, I was sold.
    These two anecdotes are really telling: cars are a very emotional purchase. I confess that I chose the performance trim based on the value/price equation, and the lights were not even on the radar for me on the "value" side: in fact, I thought that the illuminated door handles were a bit of a gimmick that would probably be more trouble than they were worth. Having said that, I would be surely pissed off if I didn't have the absolutely fantastic looking front end lights that grace my Performance level trim: but I sure as h*ll wouldn't be blaming Cadillac for their omission!

The features of each trim level are very clearly laid out in all of the literature, and anyone who makes a purchase without knowing what they are getting are the ones to blame, not the manufacturer: with apologies, I have zero sympathy for the original poster of this thread.
    rustybear3 and rustybear3 like this.

bollyjack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    These two anecdotes are really telling: cars are a very emotional purchase. I confess that I chose the performance trim based on the value/price equation, and the lights were not even on the radar for me on the "value" side: in fact, I thought that the illuminated door handles were a bit of a gimmick that would probably be more trouble than they were worth. Having said that, I would be surely pissed off if I didn't have the absolutely fantastic looking front end lights that grace my Performance level trim: but I sure as h*ll wouldn't be blaming Cadillac for their omission!

The features of each trim level are very clearly laid out in all of the literature, and anyone who makes a purchase without knowing what they are getting are the ones to blame, not the manufacturer: with apologies, I have zero sympathy for the original poster of this thread.
    But, don't you think that if the dealer is selling you the car, they should go over each feature and tell you the differences between each trim? There are customers who wants a Cadillac and go directly to a dealership knowing what car they want (ex. ATS or CTS), the Trim Specs can be learned at the dealership. Unless you want to custom build the car which could take several months, your only options are the cars on the lot or at another dealership. The HID lights are easily overlooked. It's on both the Performance and Premium, but not Luxary. You go to the website, the difference per trim are in pop windows, it's not like it's listed as a feature in a webpage. plus, usually when customers view images of the exterior and interior, your main focus is looking at the what colors you want right? So, when you are changing from Luxury and say Performance, you could easily overlook that that small HID light on the bottom on the car pops up in the image, because in your mind, logically, the HID lights comes in all trims. It's in every video review on youtube, in all the images of the ATS, the HID lights are there, so you don't second guess it when you are concentrating on other things like price, additional features, colors, etc.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Well, fair enough, but I think it probably cuts both ways: in other words, easily overlooked by the purchaser, and also easily overlooked by the seller. I mean, the salespeople are also trying to meet the purchaser at the purchaser's level, so if price is the primary concern, the salespeople will probably be drawn in by that, and features become less important in the discussion.

As I said, I didn't give much thought to the lights when I was looking at this car, and I fully confess that I got the lights by good luck more than good management. To put it another way, the Performance trim level met all of my requirements, and had the lights only come on the Premium trim level, I would have missed out and been disappointed, because their value was not on my radar. Having said that, I would in no way think that I had been duped: I would take the responsibility myself, because I honestly believe that's whose responsibility it is.

Nevertheless, you make a valid point, and I'll revise my original "zero sympathy" (which was unduly harsh) to "satisfactory level of empathy".

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    No, you can't...it's not a dealer installed option, strictly factory. Not to pick on you ( there are others as well), but how in the world did you order a car from a dealer without discussing models, trim levels, options, etc.? Plenty of pictures and videos as well that show the ATS WITHOUT the vertical LEDS, and the website clearly shows which models have and don't have the LEDS.....clearly a huge failure on your dealer as well. I'd go back to your dealer if he or she misrepresented the situation. Regardless, you have to shoulder the blame....Cadillac certainly didn't dupe you....

----------

Actually, it's cheapness on the buyers part...not Cadillac. Would you rather have no option to purchased the vehicle in the 30's and 40's and instead have one model with all the options for 50's plus? Quite frankly, I think some people want to step up into the luxury car market with Champagne tastes with beer money....goodies are part of the reward for stepping up into additional model cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    73JPS and 73JPS like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Major lulz.

bollyjack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
    Yes, the Luxury has no LED and no HID lights, thank to the Cadillac marketeers, and it was not even an option to consider.

The 2014 Luxury model now includes the HID headlights, but not the LED lights. At least it saves the trouble of going aftermarket ...

But aftermarket is still cheaper than the Cadillac options ...

any way to get aftermarket lights that is similar to how the lights are on the non-Luxury Trim models?

painterabel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade ESV and 05 STS

Owning a brand new Cadillac is a sort of status and Cadillac has made it fairly affordable to get into a base level ATS with its leasing options. Therefore Cadillac must provide a way to separate the consumers who are barely able to enter the base level packages from the other consumers where price does not matter as much. Cadillac still tries to keep its top looks exclusive for the haves and not the have nots. if your fairly wealthy you want what the average man doesnt have and so they make the cool stuff only available at the top end of their prices. Its the same problem with Escalades now, everyone seems to have one but who is realy rolling around in Platinum Editions with their special LED headlights, only a selected few who can afford to pay around $85K instead of $55K.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

When I first ordered my ATS it was the luxury trim to save money. After having navigation and led lights on our Audi my wife had second thoughts so we decided to move up to the Premium model for 3500 bucks more. What a great move that was. The things we like most about the car are the HUD, nav, 18 inch wheels, led lights and many other options that came with the Premium pkg. The way I see it if your going to spend upwards of 40 grand for a car then you should get it the way you want it even if its a few bucks more.

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    When I first ordered my ATS it was the luxury trim to save money. After having navigation and led lights on our Audi my wife had second thoughts so we decided to move up to the Premium model for 3500 bucks more. What a great move that was. The things we like most about the car are the HUD, nav, 18 inch wheels, led lights and many other options that came with the Premium pkg. The way I see it if your going to spend upwards of 40 grand for a car then you should get it the way you want it even if its a few bucks more.
    I agree about the value of the Premium trim....what Cadillac really needs to do is re-classify that model as "classic edition" or some other nomenclature that defines the model better; luxury is clearly misleading IMO. It's the second model up from four trim levels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.