You wanted to know how an intake sounds?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, You wanted to know how an intake sounds? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Wanted to know what an intake sounds like? we were testing the fitment of my custom intake (still some tweaks ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

You wanted to know how an intake sounds?

Wanted to know what an intake sounds like? we were testing the fitment of my custom intake (still some tweaks to be done) but it sounds damn good in person!!!

keep in mind its much louder in person, this wasn't recorded on the best device lol. I LOVE the sound of the turbo screaming at 5K rpm (wich I didn't film so sorry lol) but that "PPSSSHHH" and hearing that turbo spool up makes it really hard to stay off the gas!!

***yes its a quick vid I did last minute,.. but you'll get the idea!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AnK...ature=youtu.be

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Re: You wanted to know how an intake sounds?

hmm. it just sounds like only the turbo sound has been amplified. is that the case in person? or is the engine "growl" also aplified?

yeah the engine has a much deeper.. rumble? to it, its hard to explain but if you've ever been in a "Before and after" intake car you know what sound I mean.

Thats sorta why I was weary about posting a video because it really doesn't give the full "oomph" of how it sounds in person... I mean.. my neighbor walked over and asked "what the hell did you do to that thing?! I could hear you coming waaayyyy down the street before I even saw ya!"

I just wanted to share what I could lol, but the turbo spooling/Blow off are the more noticeable sounds.

as for performance.. well.. its an intake lol, it maybe pulls a hair better at low RPM.. but that could just be some placeebo effect , but the tone change in the engine and the audible-ness (if thats a word :P) of the turbo make an intake worth every penny IMO.. just makes it sound so.damn.cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    yeah the engine has a much deeper.. rumble? to it, its hard to explain but if you've ever been in a "Before and after" intake car you know what sound I mean.

Thats sorta why I was weary about posting a video because it really doesn't give the full "oomph" of how it sounds in person... I mean.. my neighbor walked over and asked "what the hell did you do to that thing?! I could hear you coming waaayyyy down the street before I even saw ya!"

I just wanted to share what I could lol, but the turbo spooling/Blow off are the more noticeable sounds.

as for performance.. well.. its an intake lol, it maybe pulls a hair better at low RPM.. but that could just be some placeebo effect , but the tone change in the engine and the audible-ness (if thats a word :P) of the turbo make an intake worth every penny IMO.. just makes it sound so.damn.cool!

and thats what counts. ill take ur word for it sounding rly good. IMO thats the one thing this car lacks. its quiet as hell and thats rly difficult for me to know when to shift (with the RPM gauge being all the way on the left)

YoshiFD3S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T Manual, '11 Sonata 2.0T, '94 Mazda RX-7 w/ 2JZ

I want more pics and info on your intake like NOW!!! @_@

Please?

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Make sure you log it. You don't want to run lean.

/killjoy

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiFD3S View Post
    I want more pics and info on your intake like NOW!!! @_@

Please?
    lol well like I said it was being test fitted today, gotta few tweaks to do, its back at the shop just getting adjusted.. I thought it was fine but eh, what do I know lol

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Make sure you log it. You don't want to run lean.

/killjoy
    yeah we're gonna be data logging it

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Better get it tuned or kabooooom....
    No way will ECU adjust..

It sounds nice but if I were a betting man, I'd bet a high flow element will yield similar audible results. With more detonation safety. But you gotta see what's happening. Datalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    Better get it tuned or kabooooom....
    No way will ECU adjust..

It sounds nice but if I were a betting man, I'd bet a high flow element will yield similar audible results. With more detonation safety. But you gotta see what's happening. Datalog.
    LOL...no offense, but you're joking right? Will the ECU adjust? Possibly. How else would aftermarket intakes produce horsepower if all ECU's completely negated the gains. There is no way in Hades that a simple little intake is going to result in predetonation.

Now with THAT said, with some of today's cars, like my Sonata, the ECU detects the drastic increase in air flow and will sometimes negate the would-be HP/TQ gains of the intake by pulling timing, etc etc.

A good example is when Injen had my Sonata for R&D, they created intakes that produces 20+HP, but over consecutive dyno runs (heatsoak aside) the car made less and less power, to the point that they had to go with a significantly less efficient intake that only produced around 7hp/11tq IIRC..

Anyways, your gamble on the motor blowing from a simple intake is a losing one.

Now, whether an open-element intake design is more efficient than one that retains factory air-box ducting....that's a whole 'nother discussion to be had.
    Ihuntv8 and Ihuntv8 like this.

LOL...no offense, but you're joking right? Will the ECU adjust? Possibly. How else would aftermarket intakes produce horsepower if all ECU's completely negated the gains. There is no way in Hades that a simple little intake is going to result in predetonation.

Now with THAT said, with some of today's cars, like my Sonata, the ECU detects the drastic increase in air flow and will sometimes negate the would-be HP/TQ gains of the intake by pulling timing, etc etc.

A good example is when Injen had my Sonata for R&D, they created intakes that produces 20+HP, but over consecutive dyno runs (heatsoak aside) the car made less and less power, to the point that they had to go with a significantly less efficient intake that only produced around 7hp/11tq IIRC..

Now, whether an open-element intake design is more efficient than one that retains factory air-box ducting....that's a whole 'nother discussion to be had.
    No offence. But DON'T USE A SONATA AS AN EXAMPLE OF PERFORMANCE VEHICLE.

I own a STI THAT MADE WELL OVER 450tq and 400 hp.
    I also owned a turbo is300 with full GTE SWAP. 650 rwhp. I'm familiar with turbos.
    On turbo cars intakes are the last thing and most unsafe worthless mod you can do without a tune .thats it.

No but leaning out at high rpms due to improper AFRs will due it. I've seen it on many many many datalogs .

Suggesting no tune with intakes is bad. I'm out

Back when, I ran an intake on my supercharged cobalt for 2 years and never had it tuned and didn't see any issues (the blower sounded damn nice though)

Yeah, I'm not worried about anything exploding ... But I'm gonna log it anyways to make sure its not running rich/lean.

But I dont really want this to turn into a "I know more than him thread. " ... the intakes still getting adjusted, and I am gonna data log it for my own uses.

Oh and my next mod is a down pipe (with possible electric cutout), then.. a tune

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

If the ECU does not compensate for the increased airflow, it will lean out at high rpm. That could certainly blow the engine over time. I've seen logs where just a panel filter has leaned out AFRs enough to potentially cause engine damage over time.

However, not every car requires a retune after installing parts like a downpipe or intake, like a Subaru does.

The best thing to do is log it, and it seems the OP has that handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    No offence. But DON'T USE A SONATA AS AN EXAMPLE OF PERFORMANCE VEHICLE.

I own a STI THAT MADE WELL OVER 450tq and 400 hp.
    I also owned a turbo is300 with full GTE SWAP. 650 rwhp. I'm familiar with turbos.
    On turbo cars intakes are the last thing and most unsafe worthless mod you can do without a tune .thats it.

No but leaning out at high rpms due to improper AFRs will due it. I've seen it on many many many datalogs .

Suggesting no tune with intakes is bad. I'm out
    So you owned a 400+hp STI and a GTE-swapped IS300 and you are sitting there proposing that adding JUST an intake could result in TOO lean of AFR's and result in predetonation? Is that what you're saying? Because if so, then just punch yourself in the face dude, because you're an idiot. You must have bought and not built those cars you mention, because obviously if you had ANY mechanical sense about you, you'd realize how incredibly retarded and assinine you sound.

I'm not arguing that air-flow modifications don't lean out AFR's...of course they do, that's how they make more power.

The only exception from my experience would be OLDER cars like my RX-7 however, when you add intakes AND a free-flowing exhaust, you DO in fact run into issues of pre-detonation because the ECU doesn't have the technology/capability to compensate for the increased air flow by adding more fuel, pulling timing, etc. That would be the only valid exception...but again, JUST an intake causing predetonation on any car?? Never heard of that happening, EVER. Now, without a tune will you maximize the AMOUNT of power you COULD make from an intake? Of course not...it's not mandatory, but having your car tuned specifically to your mods is always going to be more effective than allowing the ECU to automatically adjust/compensate.

Next, I mentioned my Sonata because it's a newer vehicle with a similar 2.0L direct-injected 4-cylinder turbo-charged motor. I worked directly with Injen as they used my car for the R&D of their intake, and I would give them more credibility than I would some puffed-up forum punk who wants to have a pissing contest. From my experience with them and my experience with performance cars overall, I've come to 2 conclusions:

That the technology in today newer ECU's either A.) Allow for the leaner AFR's which result in the advertised HP/TQ gains that manufacturers post.... or B.) They potentially "de-tune" the changes made by OVER-compensating with overly rich AFR's, lowering boost, pulling timing, etc.

Seriously though, if any of you guys are afraid that an intake is going to blow your engine, I would respectfully request you trade your cars and your balls back into the dealership, because you obviously aren't prepared to modify a performance vehicle.

I tried to not sound TOO insulting with my last post, but I don't have patience for forum trolls.

I tried to not sound TOO insulting with my last post, but I don't have patience for forum trolls.
    too late bro. i think the poor guy you directed this at just shot down his office and offed himself.

So you owned a 400+hp STI and a GTE-swapped IS300 and you are sitting there proposing that adding JUST an intake could result in TOO lean of AFR's and result in predetonation? Is that what you're saying? Because if so, then just punch yourself in the face dude, because you're an idiot. You must have bought and not built those cars you mention, because obviously if you had ANY mechanical sense about you, you'd realize how incredibly retarded and assinine you sound.

I'm not arguing that air-flow modifications don't lean out AFR's...of course they do, that's how they make more power.

The only exception from my experience would be OLDER cars like my RX-7 however, when you add intakes AND a free-flowing exhaust, you DO in fact run into issues of pre-detonation because the ECU doesn't have the technology/capability to compensate for the increased air flow by adding more fuel, pulling timing, etc. That would be the only valid exception...but again, JUST an intake causing predetonation on any car?? Never heard of that happening, EVER. Now, without a tune will you maximize the AMOUNT of power you COULD make from an intake? Of course not...it's not mandatory, but having your car tuned specifically to your mods is always going to be more effective than allowing the ECU to automatically adjust/compensate.

Next, I mentioned my Sonata because it's a newer vehicle with a similar 2.0L direct-injected 4-cylinder turbo-charged motor. I worked directly with Injen as they used my car for the R&D of their intake, and I would give them more credibility than I would some puffed-up forum punk who wants to have a pissing contest. From my experience with them and my experience with performance cars overall, I've come to 2 conclusions:

That the technology in today newer ECU's either A.) Allow for the leaner AFR's which result in the advertised HP/TQ gains that manufacturers post.... or B.) They potentially "de-tune" the changes made by OVER-compensating with overly rich AFR's, lowering boost, pulling timing, etc.

Seriously though, if any of you guys are afraid that an intake is going to blow your engine, I would respectfully request you trade your cars and your balls back into the dealership, because you obviously aren't prepared to modify a performance vehicle.

Wow.. You have issues. My only point was to advise OP TOO DATALOG. I was trying to help
    LEAN AFRs will lead to issues if your ECU CAN'T ADJUST TO AMOUNT OF AIR THE INTAKE PROVIDES.
    I have logged 20+ track events a year for longer that you have had a license 60-80 hours of seat time with many many true high performance race cars and I have many cases of many cars leaning out under high load causing instances of detonation.

----------

That wasn't too insulting was it.?

----------

Sorry OP I WAS ONLY TO GIVE SOME ADVICE..DIDN'T MEAN TO CAUSE ANY DRAMA

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.