Is the BMW 328i really so much faster?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Is the BMW 328i really so much faster? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi I am new to the forum but I am a long time gear head. In fact the ATS 2.0t ...
    ATScape is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance 6A

Is the BMW 328i really so much faster?

Hi I am new to the forum but I am a long time gear head. In fact the ATS 2.0t 6M I just leased is my first new car ever because all my other cars are home built modded street monsters.

My question is based on the fact that even though the beemer is underrated, both cars produce about the same power at the wheels. Also they weigh about the same and are geared pretty short. In most of the magazines they are pretty even 0-30 but then the beemer runs away by as much as .5s to sixty and has 0.3s and 2 mph higher trap in the 1/4. The 0-60 is affected by the extra shift but the trap should be closer. Even the Vtuned ATS barley ran faster than the BMW with 291hp and 300+ ft.lbs at the wheels. What is up with this? I figure its either a power band advantage or a lack of power in the pre-production cars the mags tested. Anyone have some insight? Has anyone run a 328i?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Re: Is the BMW 328i really so much faster?

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith into magazine tests. Manufacturers have been known to send tweaked testers out.

That extra shift makes a huge difference. In my LGT, I could do about 5.5 to 60 in it stock, but with just a reflash that raised the rev limiter and added about 25hp/30tq, that number dropped to 5.0.

Thanks SLA. Yea Im aware of the whole magazine ringer car deal, but I figure both manufacturers would do it so it would be a fair comparison. That's why I was asking if anyone has run one on the track or maybe a short street run to see if it is really that much faster. The 0-60 difference is understandable do to the extra cog, but the 2mph trap advantage should not be the case if the power is so similar and aero is not hugely different.

Wow half second off with a tune that's pretty awesome. Who tuned it and how did you measure those times?

Thanks again.
    Laz

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Another thing to consider is that many of those early tests were done with the pre-sale 6MT that magazine testers highly criticized due to vagueness and high effort shifts. I've seen the difference in traps at 1.3 mph with the pre-sale shifter. That's really not too far off. It's certainly a driver's race at that point. If you figure the increased time they're off the accelerator due to focusing on not missing a shift, one could see where they were losing some mph on the back end.

I have a Cobb Accessport for my LGT. I achieved those numbers with Cobbs off the shelf 93 Stg 1 tune. It's a lot more tuned now, but I hardly drive it anymore.

xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

This could be anything. I'm assuming they didn't test head-to-head and we're comparing numbers from different days. I would think that if the weather conditions were very different, the results could be skewed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a car run better (and faster?) on a cool day versus a hot day?

Yea I mean they are not far off enough that a good driver cant make up the difference, but doesnt seem right that the cars are so closely matched and the beemer has an advantage at all. Always hear good things about Cobb.

Well usually the comparisons are done on the same day when they are head to head. One in particular was done on the same day at Road Atlanta (C/D I think). Hopefully they will do a rematch with production car soon.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by ATScape View Post
    Thanks SLA. Yea Im aware of the whole magazine ringer car deal, but I figure both manufacturers would do it so it would be a fair comparison. That's why I was asking if anyone has run one on the track or maybe a short street run to see if it is really that much faster. The 0-60 difference is understandable do to the extra cog, but the 2mph trap advantage should not be the case if the power is so similar and aero is not hugely different.

Wow half second off with a tune that's pretty awesome. Who tuned it and how did you measure those times?

Thanks again.
    Laz
    It can be, depending when the up-shift occurs. If you 'optimize' for 0-60 and 1/4 mile, than you select different ratio's than if you optimize for fuel economy or car responsiveness.

Having 2 extra gears helps here.

What I remember from the reviewers is that acceleration and drive-ability are not the same. The acceleration difference has to be large to overcome drive-ability issues, like road holding, cornering, weight distribution, stability at speeds.

The ATS seems to match the BMW-3 for lap times, in different comparable trims, showing that the extra gears do not really help here.

In real traffic however, you seldom run a 1/4 mile (as you would exceed posted speed limits), and acceleration from a traffic light doesn't really change by a great deal - a 1/10th of a second is nothing compared to the other cars that may be a full second slower.

Besides, reaching the posted 0-60 time is not all that easy - go try it. You need launch control, brake/gas interplay, etc.

Bragging rights of course trump everything

And yes, knocking off 0.5s is quite impressive!

The test I was referring to was between the 6M 328i and 6M ATS but I get what you mean. The good news is I just found out a co-worker has a 328i sedan with the sport package and he has agreed to a friendly run. His is auto though. Im more of an autox and motox guy but I'll try my best to get a good launch and represent for caddy. I'll keep you posted.
    donavo and donavo like this.

donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

The test I was referring to was between the 6M 328i and 6M ATS but I get what you mean. The good news is I just found out a co-worker has a 328i sedan with the sport package and he has agreed to a friendly run. His is auto though. Im more of an autox and motox guy but I'll try my best to get a good launch and represent for caddy. I'll keep you posted.

cant wait to see how this turns out.

Update: My co-worker and I have been trying to set something up after work but everyday has been pouring rain down here in Miami around 4:30pm. As luck would have it today was pretty dry around my job but he brought his wife's Hyundai Genesis to work. So I ran the genesis (4.6 V8) from a 20 roll and we stayed door to door till about 80. This occurred in an abandoned warehouse district with no posted limits behind an airport so I didn't wanna get crazy with the speeds (getting old I guess). Not sure what this says about the car but Im pretty happy...
    Has anyone run anything else?

donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Update: My co-worker and I have been trying to set something up after work but everyday has been pouring rain down here in Miami around 4:30pm. As luck would have it today was pretty dry around my job but he brought his wife's Hyundai Genesis to work. So I ran the genesis (4.6 V8) from a 20 roll and we stayed door to door till about 80. This occurred in an abandoned warehouse district with no posted limits behind an airport so I didn't wanna get crazy with the speeds (getting old I guess). Not sure what this says about the car but Im pretty happy...
    dam a v8. doesnt taht thing have like 400+ hp? either way thats good i think.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Looks like you are beginning to match the 3.6L then:

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Hyundai...mph-Times.html
    • 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 Sedan 0-60 mph 5.5 Quarter Mile 13.9 ★ Editor's Choice ★

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Cadilla...mph-Times.html
    • 2013 Cadillac ATS Performance (3.6L, Auto) 0-60 mph 5.3 Quarter Mile 13.8

http://www.zeroto60times.com/BMW-Bim...mph-Times.html
    • 2012 BMW 328i Sedan Sport (Auto) 0-60 mph 5.5 Quarter Mile 14.0

His is a 2011
    Here:
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

And it was from a roll so I got a slight jump while it kicked down a few gears

FTI. Finally ran the 328i. No dig cause he didn't want to but did a 20 roll along with a buddies Altima 2.5. He honked it off, (I brake boosted a little if I'm honest) and jump out a fender to half car on the 328i. Stayed there till I shifted to 3rd where he came up to my front tire and we had to let off. It kinda felt like the car fell into some lag from 2nd to 3rd, but maybe. Its the the fact he crept up. Altima was left behind. After he claimed to be in comfort mode...don't know how much difference it makes but he says it shifts slower.
    Now he says he's getting a Berger or (burger...?) tune.

cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue

Having test driven both, I have to say the 328 felt stronger to me. If I had decided to get another BMW I was actually going to get the 328 because it felt nearly as fast as the 335 with less weight up front. With the ATS, the 2.0 seemed quite a bit slower than the 3.6 (turbo lag was pretty noticeable) so I went with the latter, even though that meant switching to auto trans after 30 years of manuals. All test driving was done with autos...no manuals on either lot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.