Screw in tire - need help/advice
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Screw in tire - need help/advice in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Dear Group: I took a screw in the sidewall (see pictures (I hope they loaded)) in my tire. Tire has ...
    EricDOhio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Screw in tire - need help/advice

Dear Group:

I took a screw in the sidewall (see pictures (I hope they loaded)) in my tire. Tire has 2800 miles on it. I took my car (2013 ATS) to my TRUSTED neighborhood tire store (family-owned, several generations) and he told me because they were run flats, he couldn't even work on the car (seems technology passed him by). Anyway, he suggested we take the screw out in case it was just stuck in the side wall. We pulled it out and no air came out. He suggested getting a new tire anyway (for safety) and sent me to my Cadillac dealer. My dealer told me he could hear the air pouring out of the tire (hasn't lost a single pound since Friday) and I should replace it. I agreed. Then he told me the tire would be about $300!

I went to tirerack for what I think is the right tire: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....4PZP&tab=Specs and they list the tire as $136. I understand there is tax and shipping but still, it is a huge savings. Can anyone confirm this is the EXACT tire or do I have a wrong version? Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW - I pulled the screw out at 9AM on Friday and as of 3PM on Sunday...still no air coming out...the tire however does have a hole in it. Damn those tires are good.

Eric
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Screw in tire - need help/advice

well the originals are Michelin primacy 225/45/17 which that tire mentioned reads as well, so you're good to go

& yeah tire rack has good prices, but run flats are @#$@ing expensive, heavy and noisy, I hate them lol

I think they are the same tires as well - ZP (Zero pressure) HOWEVER, I know there are all kinds of speed ratings and I am fearful the dealer will say these don't meet the speed requirements, yada, yada and I'll be stuck with a $300 tire.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Tire Rack publishes the UTQG, service Description, etc codes that indicate that for each tire. You will see that information on your tires. Its pretty common for a manufacturer to ask for slight tweaks for their purposes. The 19" summer-only Pirellis on my Mustang are also factory tires on several other brand of cars and they have slightly different codes/specs. If that's in play for these, Tire Rack should carry them all. If you just see one with that model name and size, it probably means there is just one version.

The dealer can't force you to put any tire on the car as long as it is the correct size. As you pointed out, you could have safety issues if you mix and match.

You should ask the dealer to match Tire Rack's price (Tire plus shipping). You may be surprised. He may prefer to get less money than get none. Even his high first quote probably included mounting, balancing, etc. which you will still have to pay someone to do if you buy from Tire Rack.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Were you sure that your run-flat was not loosing air? Reason I ask is that because of the structure of the run flat (very stiff sidewalls to hold tire shape in the event of a puncture), they may have lost air but not shown it. Holes in side wall of run flats shouldn't be fixed. Punctures in the middle of the tread can be fixed...if the tire wasn't run for too much after the puncture. Problem here is that if the tire is run after puncture, the sidewall of the tire may become compromised.

I have a Z4 that originally came with RFTs. Couldn't wait to swap them for regular tires. But there was no room in the trunk for a spare. So I now carry small portable air pump and a tire plugger, just in case. However, if I get a puncture in the sidewall, I am SOL...as it would be with any tire that had a sidewall puncture.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by flycaster
    Were you sure that your run-flat was not loosing air? Reason I ask is that because of the structure of the run flat (very stiff sidewalls to hold tire shape in the event of a puncture), they may have lost air but not shown it. Holes in side wall of run flats shouldn't be fixed. Punctures in the middle of the tread can be fixed...if the tire wasn't run for too much after the puncture. Problem here is that if the tire is run after puncture, the sidewall of the tire may become compromised.

I have a Z4 that originally came with RFTs. Couldn't wait to swap them for regular tires. But there was no room in the trunk for a spare. So I now carry small portable air pump and a tire plugger, just in case. However, if I get a puncture in the sidewall, I am SOL...as it would be with any tire that had a sidewall puncture.
    I have a hunch he was checking tire pressure manually, it with a gauge, or in the dash.

Thanks for everyone's help and insight. Unfortunately the dealer would NOT price match. The dealer offered to sell the tire "at cost" which was around $250 but I decided to just buy the tire from tire rack and have it shipped directly to my dealer; my tire sold for $136. FYI - my run flat STILL hasn't lost any air. However, in the essence of safety, I am replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by EricDOhio View Post
    Thanks for everyone's help and insight. Unfortunately the dealer would NOT price match. The dealer offered to sell the tire "at cost" which was around $250 but I decided to just buy the tire from tire rack and have it shipped directly to my dealer; my tire sold for $136. FYI - my run flat STILL hasn't lost any air. However, in the essence of safety, I am replacing it.
    It seems the dealer has lied to you multiple times now. First they said they could hear the air leaking despite the tire losing no pressure (according to you). Second they told you they pay $250 for a tire that a competitor makes a profit selling for $136. Personally, I don't like rewarding anyone who lies to me. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with paying that dealer to mount and balance your new tire, but I would go out of my way to pay someone else to do it instead. It would even save some money because any business that grossly overcharges for parts, is not likely to be a bargain on the labor side.

You know you are so right about the dealer - in fact, I didn't want him to mount the the tire but my local (TRUSTED) tire dealer won't mount run flats and I don't really trust the OTHER tire store in town so the dealer wins by default; damn shame however. And I agree with you about the dealer and I think GM better improve the customer service experience or they will CONTINUE to lose valuable customers.

Quote Originally Posted by EricDOhio View Post
    You know you are so right about the dealer - in fact, I didn't want him to mount the the tire but my local (TRUSTED) tire dealer won't mount run flats and I don't really trust the OTHER tire store in town so the dealer wins by default; damn shame however. And I agree with you about the dealer and I think GM better improve the customer service experience or they will CONTINUE to lose valuable customers.
    I hear you. And it explains why they can get away with such behavior (in the short term, at least). I'm glad you at least don't have to park the car while you wait for the new tire.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

While it is "water under the bridge" (at this point), the tire wasn't leaking, you have TPMS (to alert of a beginning of a leak or subsequent puncture, and since the tires are run-flat to begin with, I can see no harm in not replacing the tire. JMO

[I can see no harm in not replacing the tire]

I agree with you...to a point. I am going to be doing some heavy summer driving and I figured with the tremendous heat that will occur at sustained high-speeds (speed limits 70+ on OH/MI) and THE FACT THAT CERTAIN places won't fix a run flat (and I would have to find a dealer) that I would spend the (in total) $180 as a type of insurance and peace of mind.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I agree with replacing the tire. Even if you never have loved ones driving the car alone or even just with you, you probably do have some that depend on you. Regardless, life is just too short to take a silly chance for a few bucks (in the long run).

It is, however, galling to reward dishonesty. Find alternatives and don't be afraid to spread the word.

A better alternative may be closer than you realize.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

EricDOhio,
    I see you have worked with both Katie and Laura in the past on different concerns, and am sorry that this experience with the tires was not handled to your satisfaction. We are available to you should you decide that you would like further assistance.
    Regards,
    Sarah G.
    Cadillac Customer Care

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Anything that has entered the tire carcass may not have become a full puncture. But, the tire is still compromised and could give out down the road. So I'd replace it, too. I almost always buy from TireRack. But if I'm in a pinch, I just ask any tire place to price match. Many dealers will, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.