Need seating advice before I get a divorse-Thank you Caddy, I didn't need this!
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Need seating advice before I get a divorse-Thank you Caddy, I didn't need this! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; A bit of history. There I was, very happy with my (my wife's drive and family car for retirees) 2002 ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Need seating advice before I get a divorce - SOLVED

A bit of history. There I was, very happy with my (my wife's drive and family car for retirees) 2002 BMW 325i. 68K and in cream-puff condition. And, I had my 2005 Z4 for really fun. Anyway, time to get a new car and trade in the BMW. Was looking at the VW CC Lux turbo, BMW 328i and the ATS Lux. Actually, I would have been very happy to get the VW. In my opinion this car, although not as luxurious as the other two, was a sleeper. It had just about everything the other two had (but certainly not as fancy interiors or things like CUE), and it drove very nicely. However, the one thing it didn't have, and this was a deal-breaker for my wife, it didn't have any memory setting for the seats. So, for $10K more, we got the ATS.

Trouble started when I tried to set the seat memory for myself and for my wife. What I was trying to do was to use Driver Personalization to have the seat come to the fob holder's driver's position when they opened the door. After hours of trying (and I am computer literate), it just couldn't be done. Only one memory would be set. That is, it could be set to have the seat in position for my wife; but for me when I got in the car after my wife drove, I would have to hold the #2 button until the seat moved back to my position. This was a very big bummer for me. I called CUE to find out why this "luxury" car was not behaving like a luxury car. And to my utter amazement, I was told that this type of setting (Driver Personalization) had been removed from CUE...unbelievable, I feel so cheated! How can a luxury car not have this function? Damn, even my 11 year old BMW allows for individual seat setting according to who's entering the car. And, I am sure many, many other less luxurious cars have this function, also.

This lack for seat adjustment function has caused a very big dispute between my wife and I (Thank you Caddy, I didn't need this). In an effort to develop a compromise, I figured that I'll have her seat set when she opens the door, and then have the seat move to the Easy Exit position on exiting. I would also have Exit seat position set to my driver's position. This was to obviate my having to hold the #2 seat button until it moved from my wife's very close-up position to my further back position. You see, there was no way that I wanted to enter the car and then have to hold my seat button until the seat moved into position. This was to be a luxury car and there should be no need to have to hold a button on entry to get your seat in position. BTW, IMO, another big programming update mistake by Caddy was to make one to have to hold seat button until the seat fully moved into position...seat only fully move to position with a tap when engine is on. I know Caddy thinks this is a safety feature to prevent the seat from moving too close and squashing the unattentive. All of which they think could lead to a law suit....Bah, humbug!

My wife doesn't buy this compromise. She says she can be in and out of the car several times during the day and that I only drive the car a few times a week, so why inconvenience her by having to move the seat back when she exits. And she also questions wearing out the seat motor with all this moving back and forth. I really can't understand her objections to this plan. The way I see it, it is a win for both of us: She has her wanted position when entering the car, the seat moving back and up on exiting should be a plus, and I have my position waiting for me when I open the door after she has driven. As for the seat moving a lot and wearing out, we have the 4 year warranty and I took another 3 year repair warranty. When only she is driving, her seat doesn't have to move on entry or leaving, but if I change it, it will have to move two times, once on exit and once on entry. So during a typical day with my compromise setting, her seat could move back and forth 5 times/day=10 total movements, but wouldn't have to move when I took the car. Damn, I feel Caddy really cheated me on this and I don't want to have to hold the button until the seat sets when I enter the car.

Well, that's the story. Got anything helpful to say? BTW, won't really divorce over this, but it is a big bone of contention and I would really like to be able to compromise, but I'm having a tough time having her see my side of the problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

Re: Need seating advice before I get a divorse-Thank you Caddy, I didn't need this!

Are you saying that you can set the Exit Seat Position to any position? I had a 2010 CTS sedan and I now have a 2012 CTS coupe and there is only one Exit Seat position. You can either turn the function on or off, but can't set it to go where you want it like I could like previous Cadillac models that I had. It's one of my pet peeves. Not so much on the coupe but on the sedan the exit position was so uncomfortable for me that I finally turned it off.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

Re: Need seating advice before I get a divorse-Thank you Caddy, I didn't need this!

Apparently with the latest update they removed the personalization function of CUE (according to another post). Thus only setting 1 is remembered tied to the fob. I assume that this was a mistake on their part and the setting will be restored in a future release but it would be very nice to get a confirmation on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post
    Apparently with the latest update they removed the personalization function of CUE (according to another post). Thus only setting 1 is remembered tied to the fob. I assume that this was a mistake on their part and the setting will be restored in a future release but it would be very nice to get a confirmation on this.
    Yeah, Caddy putting it back in would be most appreciated. I also wonder if they will own up to their customer consideration error and let us know when the will change it back.

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post
    The other thread was his too

I would hardly call having to hold a button for 5 seconds a "deal breaker" for most people. A minor inconvenience at most.

Quote Originally Posted by torkibe View Post
    The other thread was his too

I would hardly call having to hold a button for 5 seconds a "deal breaker" for most people. A minor inconvenience at most.
    It may be a minor inconvenience to some, but when I buy a "luxury" car, I expect convenience...not inconvenience. They really blundered on this one. IMO, Driver Personalization was a luxury item and should be put back into CUE.

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    The problem as passed on to me from the dealer had to do with people complaining about the personalization. He told me there numerous complaints starting with the introduction of the XTS w/CUE of people not understanding how it worked. Now, in my opinion, who would you think would be typical purchasers of the XTS? I'm thinking older people who haven't a clue about technology. So, the folks from CUE decided to remove the personalization to satisfy that market segment. And since CUE is a cross segment feature, it makes sense that the update would make it's way into all CUE equipped vehicles. Maybe they can separate the update per model or at least give the driver the option to turn it on or off. I liked the ability to have multiple fobs and the system saved the settings to the fob as you exited the vehicle. Easy.

I wholeheartedly agree with your "age" related assessment of this issue. I think that I did post elsewhere that a lot of folks who don't understand this problem (lack of Driver Personalization) where probably older folks who have no clue about technology. Nonetheless, considering that times have changed and that many younger folks (read computer astute in the 20-50 age group) are now into the ATS (which I believe is a new and large consumer segment that the ATS is after), Caddy should put DP back in...perhaps, selectively for the ATS???

gfxbt is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

So let me get this straight (my car doesn't have memory seats so I can't just try it out) - when you first purchased your ATS, you could set two memory seating positions (Position1 and Position2). Likewise, you had two key fobs (Fob1 and Fob2). When accessing the car using Fob1, the seat was automatically recalled to Position1. When accessing the car using Fob2, the seat was automatically recalled to Position2. Then you got the CUE update.

Now, you still have two memory seating positions, BUT independent of which fob you use to access the car, the seat is automatically recalled to position1 (i.e., Fob1 recalls Position1 and Fob2 recalls Position1)?

The seems like a very strange change. Nonetheless, if you are this unhappy about something, I would call your Cadillac dealer and tell them you want to un-update CUE (i.e., restore to a previous version of the OS). See what they say. There is a way to do it (although it probably is extremely inconvenient since dealers aren't going to typically un-update and likely aren't set up to do it), but the dealer will at least have to call Cadillac to try to figure it out and it will raise awareness. You might even get your memory seating functionality back.

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    When I picked up my car in late Nov, my seats were not working as I "thought" they should according to the user manual. I visited the dealer several times trying to fix the problem. Finally I was told that there is a fob 1 and 2. Since we figured that out and I switched fobs with my wife and updated CUE, my seats work somewhat. My settings are set to position 1 on the door and my wife to 2. Now when I exit the car and reenter, my settings return. However, when my wife drives after I drive she needs to recall button 2 and from there on her settings recall as it should. Next time I drive I need to recall button 1 and my settings return until such time as my wife drives. Does that make sense?

Ah, I think I figured out a compromise workaround (until Caddy decides to put Driver Personalization back into CUE) to my automatic seating problem. My wife's position is close to the dash, but she doesn't mind exiting while leaving the seat in that position. My preferred seating position is much further back. In fact, it is in the same position I would use if I were to use Easy Exit. As it bothers me to no end that I can't have automatic seating when I open the door and my wife doesn't mind not having it, I will program the seat 1 button to position the seat for me when I open the door and my wife will hold the seat 2 button when she enters the car after I have driven it. Now, I hope this will work.

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

Just curious as to what software level you have? My Cue was upadate to 23150271 and it still has driver personalization option available. The seat recall position(s) work perfectly as per the manual and as they have since the car was delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by MASCAD View Post
    Just curious as to what software level you have? My Cue was upadate to 23150271 and it still has driver personalization option available. The seat recall position(s) work perfectly as per the manual and as they have since the car was delivered.
    Ah, lucky you. My update is 23150273. Yes, Driver Personalization is still there, but it only functions for one driver...NOT both drivers. Let me ask if you have tried this as a check: Using fob 1, set seat and mirror positions, through Settings>Vehicle>Comfort set that seat to position itself when door opens. Using fob 2, do the same but set the seat to a different position than 1's setting. Now, after having done these settings, move the seat to position 1, get out of the car and lock the door (can be done with fob, or through Setting>Vehicle to have door lock on exit.) Replace fob 1 with fob 2 and open the door. Does the seat that was in position 1 now move to position 2? Do this again, but this time get out of the car with the seat set to 2, lock the car. Now with fob 1 open the door. Does the seat now move from position 2 to position 1?

If the seats move as I have detailed, then you are home free. After hours of research, trial/error, and communication with CUE, only one seat can be set automatically, while the other seat must be manually positioned.

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

I have the seats set to move upon starting not door opening since I want the seat in the exit position when entering. Yes, upon pushing the start button, the seat will move to either position #1 or #2 depending on which fob is in the car. This happens regardless if the remote start is or the start switch is used. If the car is running, they will also move fully to either position if you lightly tap either of the position buttons. If you depressed the button(s) fully you will have to "hold" the button until the seat moves into the correct position. Upon turning off the ignition and opening the door, the seat will move to the exit position as that option has been selected. Both #1 and #2 seat and mirror positions as well as the exit position were set up only using the buttons on the door not CUE

I agree with what you are saying, all does happen. However, this was not my problem was to have seats 1 and 2 set into their desired positions when that fob holder opens the door. After the upgrade, and loss of full functionality of Driver Personalization, only one seat was deemed eligible for automatic operation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.