Comparison (Why 2.5L engine is NOT bad)
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By xtheunknown
  • 2 Post By Hoosier Daddy
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Comparison (Why 2.5L engine is NOT bad) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; It has been said that the 2.5L engine doesn't belong in the ATS. If that is true, then why do ...
    xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

Comparison (Why 2.5L engine is NOT bad)

It has been said that the 2.5L engine doesn't belong in the ATS. If that is true, then why do the competitors offer engines with similar performance at a similar price point? I went to the web sites of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi and compared my ATS with heated seats, sunroof and 2.5L automatic to the equivalent models.

This is what I found:

BMW 320i
    2.0L inline four
    180 HP
    $35,545

Mercedes-Benz C200
    1.8L turbo four
    201 HP
    ~$39,100

Audi A4
    2.0L turbo four
    211 HP
    $34,320

Cadillac ATS
    2.5L four
    208HP
    $35,490

Each of the luxury brands has an entry level compact sedan and they all have engines with similar performance characteristics. Unless you are saying that Cadillac should not have an entry level ATS, then I think the ATS compares very well with the competition.

Discuss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Comparison (Why 2.5L engine is NOT bad)

well for me coming from a car with 200hp I just wanted more this time.

but theres noithing wrong really with the 2.5, I test drove one and was still able to get it sideways

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Audi's 2.0 liter is the only engine you can get in a A4 currently. It's a step above the Caddy's 2.5L, but the car it's in is so vanilla. My wife wanted one. I hated it. And good luck finding a stripper model A4 at or near MSRP.

It's my opinion BMW brought in the 320i in response to compete with the 2.5 ATS. It essentially has a detuned version of the same engine in the 328i. Between the ATS and the 320i it'd be a toss up, but probably going with the Bimmer because you can get it with a 6MT.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

the 2.0 isn't even much more than the 2.5 , hell if you get the 2.0MT it almost covers the cost of upgrading the engine.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

The 2.5 should be an option, if for no other reason than they are selling. The more ATS that sell the less of GM's up front costs have to be included in each ATS's MSRP.

And there are people who don't want the complexity of a turbo or the weight of a V6.

And there are people who want an ATS that uses the least amount of gas and the least expensive gas.
    xtheunknown and xtheunknown like this.

E365 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If the 2.5 had a manual transmission it would be my choice. A bigger, more powerful engine provides no benefit to me, but numerous drawbacks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.