New to the ATS. manual vs auto
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, New to the ATS. manual vs auto in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; hi guys. i just picked up an ATS 2.0T with 6 speed manual. its good so far but im not ...
    donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

New to the ATS. manual vs auto

hi guys. i just picked up an ATS 2.0T with 6 speed manual. its good so far but im not experienced in manual transmissions. i actually pretty much learned it on the test drive. now im just carefully practicing. ive done heavy research on the matter and know the technical stuff on most things but i still need practice. i would have taken the auto but it wasnt available with the options i wanted at the price i wanted. anway, aside from that, i would like to get opinions from you guys on which is the better choice? the reason i ask this is because i read in several places that the manual tranny for ATS is really bad. so even stick drivers choose manual tranny in some cases.

can anyone verify any of that? thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kmb32687 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD Manual

Re: New to the ATS. manual vs auto

Manual on ATS is not that bad. It's actually better than my old 335i. The shifter was so sloppy. ATS is more stiff and I like that.

You just need to practice more. It takes awhile to get use to it. I love manual and I will never look back to automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by kmb32687 View Post
    Manual on ATS is not that bad. It's actually better than my old 335i. The shifter was so sloppy. ATS is more stiff and I like that.

You just need to practice more. It takes awhile to get use to it. I love manual and I will never look back to automatic.
    really? dam. maybe i made a decent choice then. the only issue for me is i live in LA and traffic is hardcore obviously. so im actually looking forward to how this treats me in traffic. im sure i will hate it....but i just want to know how much i will hate it. lol.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

yeah the manual is pretty good, I got mine with the stick and am really happy with it. the cars just laughably easy to stall though, and the hill assist can freak ya out if you're not used to it

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

If I were you I'd be more concerned with the clutch, especially in heavy traffic. You'll wind up burning it out and that will not be covered under warranty. Here's a good article.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/bu...nsmission.html

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

The clutch is pretty light and easy to modulate, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. The hill-holder should be a big boon for you on hills, so no need to slip the clutch on the hills. My only issues have been an occasional reluctance to slot all the way into third, and it's a bit too easy to hit reverse instead of first if I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, it's very precise, and I can easily skip gears if I choose to. The shifter definitely gets better with use; mine now has 1500 miles. My car has occasionally stalled when depressing the clutch while coming to a stop, but never while taking off. It's easy to miss, as the engine idles so smoothly and quietly.

It's interesting that the car that met your needs best was a manual, as there just haven't been that many around. What equipment/series does it have?

Quote Originally Posted by torkibe View Post
    If I were you I'd be more concerned with the clutch, especially in heavy traffic. You'll wind up burning it out and that will not be covered under warranty. Here's a good article.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/bu...nsmission.html

that was actually one of my concerns. VERY valid point. definitely something to watch out for. im kind of worried about that no joke. ive been taking alot of tips from pros. but thats never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    The clutch is pretty light and easy to modulate, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. The hill-holder should be a big boon for you on hills, so no need to slip the clutch on the hills. My only issues have been an occasional reluctance to slot all the way into third, and it's a bit too easy to hit reverse instead of first if I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, it's very precise, and I can easily skip gears if I choose to. The shifter definitely gets better with use; mine now has 1500 miles. My car has occasionally stalled when depressing the clutch while coming to a stop, but never while taking off. It's easy to miss, as the engine idles so smoothly and quietly.

It's interesting that the car that met your needs best was a manual, as there just haven't been that many around. What equipment/series does it have?
    well its a luxury package with navigation and heated seats. i dont care for the heated seats much. but my main concern was to not get a base. this was the only one they had at this price point with these options. i went to every single dealer within a 100 mile radius and almost made a deal with a few of them but didnt go through with it since they wouldnt meet my price. then one dealer finally met my price after long long hours of haggling. my first choice would have been white with red interior. unfortunately none existed without a 46k+ price tag. so i settled for black raven with red interior. only one on the lot. and it was stick.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

The ATS shifter isn't too bad at all. Some car reviewers claim that its notchy. I find it easier to drive that way. It lets me know that the shifter is securely in gear and its ok to release the clutch. I feel the shifter is very precise. I don't think I've missed a gear in the ATS since my initial test drive.

Eventually you'll learn why truckers keep large distances between them and the vehicle in front of them while stuck in highway traffic. Just pick a lane, stick with it, and use your accelerator sparingly.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    The ATS shifter isn't too bad at all. Some car reviewers claim that its notchy. I find it easier to drive that way. It lets me know that the shifter is securely in gear and its ok to release the clutch. I feel the shifter is very precise. I don't think I've missed a gear in the ATS since my initial test drive.

Eventually you'll learn why truckers keep large distances between them and the vehicle in front of them while stuck in highway traffic. Just pick a lane, stick with it, and use your accelerator sparingly.
    Well said. I ordered mine with a manual (unless manual transmissions stop being produced, I will never buy an automatic) even though I had only test driven an automatic; afterwards, I read a few uncomplimentary articles regarding the ATS shifter. So, when my dealership received a manual, I arranged a test drive: I frankly can't understand what all the complaining is about. The shifter is precise and slightly notchy, just like SLA says. Perspective is everything: I have lived with some truly poor shifters ('73 Lotus Europa, '89 Chev Sprint Turbo, '93 Eagle Talon, '00 Lotus Esprit), and I sometimes think these reviewers haven't lived with enough manual transmissions to make a really informed analysis.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    I read a few uncomplimentary articles regarding the ATS shifter. So, when my dealership received a manual, I arranged a test drive: I frankly can't understand what all the complaining is about.
    My understanding is that many (most, all?) of those reviews were of pre-production cars and those manual transmissions did have problems. They were corrected for production cars.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    My understanding is that many (most, all?) of those reviews were of pre-production cars and those manual transmissions did have problems. They were corrected for production cars.
    I believe the magazine testers actually were production cars, which is why it took so long for the 2.0t MTs to find their way to the dealer lots. Caddy responded to the criticism by installing firmer bushings, which meant they had to go back and install them on the cars already built.

That's a great response if you ask me.

on another note, i got my ATS with luxury package and navigation/heated seats. i put 2k down and my payments are 477/month for 3 years. can anyone let me know if i got completely ripped off or if thats an allright deal? the cars msrp was 41k.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I believe the magazine testers actually were production cars, which is why it took so long for the 2.0t MTs to find their way to the dealer lots. Caddy responded to the criticism by installing firmer bushings, which meant they had to go back and install them on the cars already built.

That's a great response if you ask me.
    Agreed. Any way you slice it, the car I drove (probably a late February early March production) had what I consider to be a pretty nice crisp and precise action: I liked it, it reminded me a bit of my '83 RX-7 which had a really fun shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    on another note, i got my ATS with luxury package and navigation/heated seats. i put 2k down and my payments are 477/month for 3 years. can anyone let me know if i got completely ripped off or if thats an allright deal? the cars msrp was 41k.
    Congrats on the car, Donavo.

Donavo, I made this point on another thread, and it was... "unappreciated" to put it bluntly. I will simply say to you that if you are happy with the deal, then don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. If you find out that others have got a 'better' (which in this day and age usually means 'cheaper') deal, then shrug your shoulders and accept that we can't all pay the same price for things such as this. Your deal looks great to me, but I am sure someone will tell you its not. To which I will add, just because someone else pays less for an item, it does not mean you have been "ripped off".

So, just enjoy the car!

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Not one actual manual vs auto response?

----------

He we go. I drove both. I have always has manual cars. Very fast high horsepower care
    Is300 turbo GTE block with 6 speed supra 6 trans.
    2011 Subaru STI built engine 6 speed manual.
    I log a lot of track time.
    I opted for automatic for 2 main reasons.

Firstly sitting in rush hour with a manual not fun.

Secondly I have always hated shifting in high speed high G turns. Always envious of my buddies with dual
    Clutch or autos when exiting corners...

I found the ATS manual just fine. I love the rev matching on downshifts in sport mode on my auto much
    Better it also holds a gear forever in sports mode.

Just my 2 cents
    IBMike and IBMike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    Agreed. Any way you slice it, the car I drove (probably a late February early March production) had what I consider to be a pretty nice crisp and precise action: I liked it, it reminded me a bit of my '83 RX-7 which had a really fun shifter.

Congrats on the car, Donavo.

Donavo, I made this point on another thread, and it was... "unappreciated" to put it bluntly. I will simply say to you that if you are happy with the deal, then don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. If you find out that others have got a 'better' (which in this day and age usually means 'cheaper') deal, then shrug your shoulders and accept that we can't all pay the same price for things such as this. Your deal looks great to me, but I am sure someone will tell you its not. To which I will add, just because someone else pays less for an item, it does not mean you have been "ripped off".

So, just enjoy the car!
    ty i will definitely enjoy it. and u do make a valid point. so far though, im getting used to the MT. its a little difficult at times but im getting there. i still am not anywhere near enough to downshift or do ANYTHING more than just drive it as close to normal as possible. but i do admit its kind of fun. i just hope im not ruining anything....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.