New to the ATS. manual vs auto - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, New to the ATS. manual vs auto in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by donavo well its a luxury package with navigation and heated seats. i dont care for the heated ...
    IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Re: New to the ATS. manual vs auto

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    well its a luxury package with navigation and heated seats. i dont care for the heated seats much. but my main concern was to not get a base. this was the only one they had at this price point with these options. i went to every single dealer within a 100 mile radius and almost made a deal with a few of them but didnt go through with it since they wouldnt meet my price. then one dealer finally met my price after long long hours of haggling. my first choice would have been white with red interior. unfortunately none existed without a 46k+ price tag. so i settled for black raven with red interior. only one on the lot. and it was stick.
    I don't get it... you spent $40k on a car that pretty much didn't meet any of your desires, except that it wasn't a base. You spent $600 on heated seats you don't like, you are having to learn to drive a stick car in LA traffic, and it wasn't your first color choice?

What was the rush? Did you HAVE to buy when you did? Seems to me if you're going to spend this much money on a vehicle, you'd hold out for just what you want. Not trying to pick a fight, I've just seen too many people settle for a car they didn't really want and then regret it. When you say things like, "sure i will hate it....but i just want to know how much i will hate it" I just gotta shake my head. Just doesn't make sense (to me) to settle that does not meet your specifications and paying for options you don't want. Given how low lease payments are and the availability of vehicles in the LA area, even if you had to pay an extra few bucks a month to get what you want, it would make you happier to hold out for the right car. To each his own...

I see you are just leasing, so hopefully you learn to enjoy driving the car. If not, it is going to be a LONG 3 years! At least you can walk away from it after 3 years if it isn't what you want. Practice a lot and then get out of the city and find some wide open roads to put the manual through its paces and you'll have a blast!

Bertha D Blues is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    Not one actual manual vs auto response?[COLOR="Silver"]

I love the rev matching on downshifts in sport mode on my auto much
    Better it also holds a gear forever in sports mode.

Just my 2 cents
    Siren05, how can you tell that sport mode holds a gear longer than touring? Did the car have to ďlearnĒ that from your driving habits? The reason I ask is because Iíve told my dealerís service advisor that sport mode doesnít work on my car. He said the computer shows that it goes on so it must be working. Thatís total BS because as hard as I try I canít detect any difference. No gear holding, no PAL, no difference in steering feel or throttle response, nothing. My advisor said that I needed to drive the car hard so it can ďlearnĒ, whatever the hell that means. I tried that with no change. Iím going to start copying all of the wonderful things that other ATS owners have described in these forums about their experiences with sport mode. Then Iíll take those comments and a Benjamin Franklin to my dealer with an offer. Anyone who can show me any difference between sport and touring in MY car gets the hundred. Ξ:^(
    Bert

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    I've noticed a difference with sport mode. I employ it with all spirited driving. Steering is firmer, PAL kicks in and hold for awhile. Gears are held longer; most noticeable gear affect is it will down shift sooner. Rev matching occurs in tour and sport...the snarl sounds great.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by IBMike View Post
    I don't get it... you spent $40k on a car that pretty much didn't meet any of your desires, except that it wasn't a base. You spent $600 on heated seats you don't like, you are having to learn to drive a stick car in LA traffic, and it wasn't your first color choice?

What was the rush? Did you HAVE to buy when you did? Seems to me if you're going to spend this much money on a vehicle, you'd hold out for just what you want. Not trying to pick a fight, I've just seen too many people settle for a car they didn't really want and then regret it. When you say things like, "sure i will hate it....but i just want to know how much i will hate it" I just gotta shake my head. Just doesn't make sense (to me) to settle that does not meet your specifications and paying for options you don't want. Given how low lease payments are and the availability of vehicles in the LA area, even if you had to pay an extra few bucks a month to get what you want, it would make you happier to hold out for the right car. To each his own...

I see you are just leasing, so hopefully you learn to enjoy driving the car. If not, it is going to be a LONG 3 years! At least you can walk away from it after 3 years if it isn't what you want. Practice a lot and then get out of the city and find some wide open roads to put the manual through its paces and you'll have a blast!

first of all, i didnt spend 40k. its a lease. yes it wasnt my first choice but dam am i glad i got it. its an AMAZING color combo. i said that i will hate the MT in traffic because ive never met anyone who said "i love driving stick in LA traffic". so yes, i will hate it no matter what. but im very happy tht i went with the stick cuz that, for me, made the car way more worth it. its like a new experience. so instead of jumping from my last car (2012 acura TSX SE auto), into another car that just looks different and obviosly performs different, its a bigger jump. now its a whole new experience with the manual. so im glad. the reason my payment came out a little on the higher side is cuz my lease on my acura wasnt over and i really wanted the ATS. so i traded it in 1 with less than a year into the lease and some negative equity. i realize to most people thats stupid and i agree. but im still in my early 20s and once i have a family i wont get to enjoy cars most likely. so i want to get that out of my system now.

so all in all, im very satisfied so far. heated seats are nice but it wasnt super necessary. i dont hate them.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I think Raven black on morelo red is damn sexy

manuals arent bad in traffic, my first car was a manual and I'll drive them for as long as I can, it adds a dimension to driving that flappy paddles just cant. In traffic I just hang behind tractor trailers, they usually keep creeping, I love my manual transmissions and always will

donavo and donavo like this.

Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

Considering if I were to buy one, it would be the 3.6 engine version, Cadillac has made the choice easy for me: automatic is the only choice. Alas, I'd like it more if they'd offer the 3.6 with a manual trans, but I'm sure I'd be like one of only 3 people that would ever buy it.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Siren05, how can you tell that sport mode holds a gear longer than touring? Did the car have to ďlearnĒ that from your driving habits? The reason I ask is because Iíve told my dealerís service advisor that sport mode doesnít work on my car. He said the computer shows that it goes on so it must be working. Thatís total BS because as hard as I try I canít detect any difference. No gear holding, no PAL, no difference in steering feel or throttle response, nothing. My advisor said that I needed to drive the car hard so it can ďlearnĒ, whatever the hell that means. I tried that with no change. Iím going to start copying all of the wonderful things that other ATS owners have described in these forums about their experiences with sport mode. Then Iíll take those comments and a Benjamin Franklin to my dealer with an offer. Anyone who can show me any difference between sport and touring in MY car gets the hundred. Ξ:^(
    Bert
    It actually freaked me out first time it happened.. I was coming out A corner getting on the freeway quite fast and bam I thought my tranny was broken the computer locked 4 gear right up to redline. Pal kicked in the other day on very hard breaking into high speed corner on very hard breaking, it down shifted and rev matched perfectly. Blip blip blip from 5 too 2nd.

Rin
    Rin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a manual, and I find it very notchy. It's fairly difficult to shift when it's cold. See my post here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...da-clunky.html. I love the car though. Great car.

sd vidiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6M

Don't "ride" the clutch by trying to modulate your speed by pushing in the clutch and you'll be fine. I've driven manual transmission cars in SoCal for 30 years and am never bothered by traffic -- it becomes second nature and I don't even notice. I have had a bunch of 3 year leased cars in a row and have never worn out a clutch in the 15k miles I put on per year. It kinda cramps your style if you plan on drinking coffee, talking on the phone, and shaving on your morning commute, though!

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rin View Post
    I have a manual, and I find it very notchy. It's fairly difficult to shift when it's cold. See my post here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...da-clunky.html. I love the car though. Great car.
    It's impossible to say from forum posts if yours has a problem, but all properly performing manual transmissions are more difficult to shift when cold. Its the nature of the beast. Whatever fluid is used will be thicker when cold. To make sure its not too thin under extreme conditions, it will be too thick for best operation when cold. And manual transmissions take longer to warm up than engines. The only heat source is the friction/load of the gears. About the only way to know for sure if yours has a problem is to drive identical transmissions at the same temperature. You can't always rely on your dealer to check it for you because it may be in their best interest to downplay a problem (e.g. a common problem with no known cure, insufficient manufacturer reimbursement for diagnose and repair, etc.).

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by sd vidiot View Post
    Don't "ride" the clutch by trying to modulate your speed by pushing in the clutch and you'll be fine. I've driven manual transmission cars in SoCal for 30 years and am never bothered by traffic -- it becomes second nature and I don't even notice. I have had a bunch of 3 year leased cars in a row and have never worn out a clutch in the 15k miles I put on per year. It kinda cramps your style if you plan on drinking coffee, talking on the phone, and shaving on your morning commute, though!
    u bring up a good point and that makes me ask a question. to all you manual drivers out there. when im going from a dead stop i kind of ride the clutch for a second or 2 in order to maintain a smooth transition from stopping to moving. is there a better way i can do this? same with reversing.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

u bring up a good point and that makes me ask a question. to all you manual drivers out there. when im going from a dead stop i kind of ride the clutch for a second or 2 in order to maintain a smooth transition from stopping to moving. is there a better way i can do this? same with reversing.
    Yes, there is a better way: never ride the clutch. Ever. Never "rest" your foot on the pedal, don't hover over the pedal, and just keep your foot away from the damned thing unless you are 1) starting, 2) shifting, or 3) almost at a stop.

Now, having said that, you are just getting started with manual shift, so don't sweat the "when im going from a dead stop i kind of ride the clutch for a second or 2 in order to maintain a smooth transition from stopping to moving." It will take a while to get the hang of things: I have been driving a manual transmission for 30 years, and I still screw up from time to time: not every start will be perfect, nor every stop, nor every shift. In fact, it's based a bit on how much one concentrates, so I am sure I am even worse than I think! Generally, though: stay off the clutch pedal, keep your hand off the shifter, and stay smooth

Here is a somewhat instructive video from one of the masters: the point is 1) keep your hand off the shifter and 2) ... ummm, well, there's a cool pic of heel and toe around :43... Other than that, just stay smooth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LnMJflV5sA

Just remember that this guy was RACING, and looks smoother than most of us on an around town commute. Just sayin'.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

lol yeah I still chrip the back wheels leaving from a stop in this car, I'm just so paranoid to ride the clutch that I just dump it..

Is riding it for a second or two alright when starting from a stop to make it smooth?

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    Is riding it for a second or two alright when starting from a stop to make it smooth?
    I think two seconds is way too long, but I also wouldn't be surprised if someone thought they were doing it for 2 seconds when it was really a second or less. Two seconds is a long time.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

once i have a family i wont get to enjoy cars most likely.
    Your sex life will end, too, and your teeth and hair fall out.

You're probably the first Cadillac buyer since the 1940's post-war car shortage that's been "stuck" with a manual. The others have to fight to get one.

I bought a 2011 STS out of state and realized on a rough patch of WV interstate that it was a mistake--I was going to hate the car if I kept driving it on our wavy local roads (I'm over 50--ride comfort is increasingly important, especially in allergy season). Lost almost $3k trading it after 6 weeks, but glad I did. Having said that, it was dumb to give up the Acura early, unless you hated it. Impatient young whippersnapper.
    donavo and donavo like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.