Sunroof wind screen
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Sunroof wind screen in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Weather finally got nice enough to open up the sunroof. I noticed there is a netting that pops up when ...
    WannaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sunroof wind screen

Weather finally got nice enough to open up the sunroof. I noticed there is a netting that pops up when the sunroof is open...... I am assuming this is a wind diffuser so you don't get wind buffeting inside the cabin. My only problem with this design is that it catches bugs in the net. I got home and there were probably 30-50 dead bugs in the netting. I guess you could close the sunroof and ignore it, but not me. I used my car vacuum and swept it out. I have had several cars with sunroofs but never had the netting with it. Anyone else notice this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

Re: Sunroof wind screen

Ack - That is just going to be bad here pretty soon. I open mine all the time and never thought to check that. Nasty!

jmvohs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I love my ATS. The only thing about the car I don't like is the wind diffuser on the sunroof. Not only does it catch bugs, but it terribly noisy at highway speeds.

I noticed the noise at highway speeds also --- it is noiser than my wifes Enclave.....

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I noticed it and thought it was a cheap, noisy solution to wind buffeting. Hadn't even given thought as to it being a bug catcher, oh my.

hood101010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance

Can it be easily removed? I noticed mine making noise once too.

If you reach up and push it down in the folded position, you will notice it makes MORE noise without it......... so I wouldn't remove it.....

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Don't know about the bugs, but my deflector is absolutely NOISE FREE....relatively speaking...wouldn't hardly even know the sunroof is open; I've had sunroofs on every Cadillac I've owned, and this is the quietest one yet. That being said, I think I prefer the solid look of my previous deflector on my 2008 STS instead of the net. I bet this could be changed out down the road....

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

I think the purpose of the net webbing on the deflector is aerodynamics, because being porous, it probably does not create as much drag as a solid deflector would, yet it breaks up the airflow to reduce wind buffeting with the roof open. So the engineers did not use it because the porous wind deflector is cheaper, but because it serves a function. Hey, guys, when a sunroof is open, you're going to have significant wind noise especially at higher speeds.
    rustybear3 and rustybear3 like this.

Neuroleptic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo manual

I actually held it down at about 45 mph and it was much quieter than with it was with it up. I would like to know if we could take it off too.

Try going faster and hold it down.......

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

I agree that my ATS sunroof is considerably quieter than the one on my 2010 CTS... go figure...

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    I agree that my ATS sunroof is considerably quieter than the one on my 2010 CTS... go figure...
    Yeah I know....it sounds like they are talking about different cars than ours. As I stated before, quietest sunroof I've ever had.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    Yeah I know....it sounds like they are talking about different cars than ours. As I stated before, quietest sunroof I've ever had.
    People just don't consider all of the variables, the most obvious of which would be ambient wind. Just 20 mph of headwind would make a huge difference to the noise level of a sunroof at an indicated speed of, say, 45 mph. The quietest sunroof I ever owned was the one on my 2004 RX-8, but I fully admit that most of my "test" data was late at night (when winds were light or non-existent) and at road speeds of less than 50 mph. But damn, that was one awesome sunroof!
    rustybear3 and rustybear3 like this.

F111A is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

I have the same concerns about the net - it will catch bugs and it is rather cheap feature on the ATS. I question how long the netting will last and think it was just added as a feature to save money. Not to make it too complex, but drag is roughly proportional to velocity squared. Having holes in the netting has negligible affect since the small holes in the netting essentially choke/stagnate at normal vehicle speeds - may as well have a solid/metallic piece of material.

I hope Cadillac comes up with a kit for the ATS to eliminate the cheap netting that has a very short lifespan.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.