Cup holder cover plate?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Cup holder cover plate? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to emulate the cup holder cover plate that is in the BMW ...
    mechevar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Cup holder cover plate?

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to emulate the cup holder cover plate that is in the BMW 3 series in the ATS.

2012BMW3seriesconsolex-large.jpg

In the picture the cover plate is shown in front of the shifter (there is a shelf in the 3 series glove box to hold the tray when not in use). I rarely use the cup holder and having the ability to have a non-slip tray would actually be very useful. Obviously it would be great if GM made a similar accessory, but I was wondering if there are any creative DIYers with ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Cup holder cover plate?

When new, my cupholder wasn't installed in completely. The left front corner was elevated slightly. I pushed it down until I heard it snap. If it snaps in it can snap out. You may be able to make your own tray to replace it rather than covering it. I wouldn't because I won't give up the java I take on my morning commute. Bert

stevenzoz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had the sliding tray over my cupholders in my Regal... one thing ive missed going into the ATS.. Plus its beneficial because I used to keep all my receipts and small trash in there and you couldn't tell

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I agree...a simple cover shouldn't be that hard of a market or after market accessory? Hello Cadillac?

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

i already made one. im going to make a diy for this soon enough. its pretty awesome. the one i made anyway.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build Date 12/21/2012

donavo, please send pics and instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    donave, please send pics and instructions.
    I'm actually having a few made with my designs. You can make it at home but it won't look super good. So I'm having the shape CNC'd and wrapped in leather or even glossy black material. Leather will probably have stitching and stuff. There's also a little secret that I will eventually include in this that I already built into my own prototype. And most likely a nice Cadillac logo in the middle. I'll show you pictures as soon as I get them done. Not outsourcing anything so it won't take long. Local friend is making them for me. Should be good to go in a week or so. I never let anyone take drinks in my car so no use for the cup holders.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Nice. We don't take food or drink in our cars either, so am looking forward to seeing what you are doing.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Looking forward to the pics as well.....a much needed accessory; if it turns out good, you should market them...

here are pics of my prototype. this one has a grippy rubber top to hold ur phone in place. im gonna have my contact make a leather wrapped one. IMG_20130731_223005.jpg
    IMG_20130731_222749.jpg

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

good start^ if that material were the same gloss black as the rest I think it'd work really well
    ben.gators likes this.

GJB

Does it install and remove easily? I would keep my phone and possibly sun glasses on it. I would think matching any of the pieced around it would work best, so a leather with stitching just like the shifter boot or a vinyl that matched the trim on either side would look good. People will also like the grippy and a gloss like Stevo mentioned. Not too sure I care for the logo if it even needs one maybe ATS pressed in would look ok?

Does it install and remove easily? I would keep my phone and possibly sun glasses on it. I would think matching any of the pieced around it would work best, so a leather with stitching just like the shifter boot or a vinyl that matched the trim on either side.wood look good. People will also like the grippy and a gloss like Stevo mentioned. Not too sure I care for the logo if it even needs one maybe ATS pressed in would look ok?

That all sounds good until I get sued by Cadillac lmao. The one I made and my design in general that I'm going with is just a drop in. Installs very easy but you got a mess with it a little to get it out since the drop is kind of deep and there are no edges to grab from since it's a perfect fit. And making a handle is in my plans but not yet cuz I just wanna make a good one for myself for now. Handle won't make it look that good too
    GJB likes this.

GJB

Patent it and sell it to them. I don't think you would get sued they are too busy dealing with Muffin to go after you
    donavo and Muffin like this.

Patent it and sell it to them. I don't think you would get sued they are too busy dealing with Muffin to go after you
    I've considered that but this particular product has a tiny number of people that want it. ATS is the only car I've seen that has open cup holders lol. So idk how worth it this would be. Maybe someone that knows can chime in and help? Advise?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.