ATS drive from a BMW owner's perspective
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS drive from a BMW owner's perspective in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Traded in my cream-puff 2002 325i (sport suspension and sport seats) for a ATS 2.0L turbo Luxury. My 325 only ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

ATS drive from a BMW owner's perspective

Traded in my cream-puff 2002 325i (sport suspension and sport seats) for a ATS 2.0L turbo Luxury. My 325 only had 68K miles and was a pleasure to drive, but it was time to get a new car. I got the ATS because of all the hype about how it was a direct competitor to the BMW 3 series. Well, I really don't know about that! The car handles well and has a lot of pep, but it doesn't feel like a real driver's car as did the BMW. The ATS holds the road fairly nicely, but it doesn't let you FEEL the road, nor is the steering as responsive as it was with the BMW. I would describe the ride as being more "plush," but a lot looser than the 325's. I might also add that even the new BMW 3 series cars (after the E46 series), don't have the road feel that my car has (E46)...those days are gone. Nonetheless, I do enjoy riding a "plush" car, but when i really want a driver's experience, I still can turn to my remaining BMW, a 2005 Z4...which I will only give up when I can't get in and out of it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mkco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: ATS drive from a BMW owner's perspective

Having had an E46 BMW myself, I totally agree. HOWEVER, that car isn't sold by BMW anymore, unfortunately. The next generation (E90) wasn't as sporty (I had one of those too) and the current one has fallen further since into the Lexus abyss. I'd take an ATS over the CURRENT 3-series any day! BMW has "jumped the shark"...Cadillac is on its way up.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Which suspension package do you have? FE2 or FE3

I came from a race tuned heavily modified Subaru STI. I feel that my ATS HANDLES AMAZING.

I SPENT 20+ track days annually and logged many hours behind the wheel. So I'm comparing a far
    Better driver car than a 325 and I'm sorry but I disagree with your statement. MY 2 cents.

----------

I came from a race tuned heavily modified Subaru STI. I feel that my ATS HANDLES AMAZING.

I SPENT 20+ track days annually and logged many hours behind the wheel. So I'm comparing a far
    Better driver car than a 325 and I'm sorry but I disagree with your statement. MY 2 cents.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

I was surprised by your initial comments, until I saw "e46," which caused me to go back and read "2002 325i" more closely. Your remarks are interesting and I have been thinking about this comparison a lot myself. When I was younger, my dream car was an e46 m3. I always loved the way it drove, looked, etc. One came up for sale recently and I really want to go drive it. Not to buy it, but just to see what my thoughts are now. During the period when I was obsessed with the e46 m3, I had two different cars, both FWD with MT. I am wondering now if that was the reason I wanted one so much (going from FWD MT to e46 m3 was always a huge difference). I want to see now what my impression would be that I am daily driving a 2.0t ATS with MT. Sure, I expect the e46 m3 to be faster, but I am wondering about handling and just overall drive feel.

I agree that the e90s and e92s don't drive like the e46s did, which is a shame in my opinion. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to driving an e46 m3 again (should the opportunity present itself - I feel bad going to test drive one with no intention of buying). Until then, I will sit and wonder, then read comments like above describing how great the e46 was and how the ATS doesn't stack up, and wonder even more . . .

With that said, I hope you are enjoying your ATS.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Flycaster has the Luxury version. The suspension in the performance version is tauter and more responsive. Wish the magnetic suspension was an option and not part of the premium package, as I would have got that also.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Drive an F30 328 and then the ATS, and you'll realize the caddy is awesome.

Doodah is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Performance
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesul
    Flycaster has the Luxury version. The suspension in the performance version is tauter and more responsive. Wish the magnetic suspension was an option and not part of the premium package, as I would have got that also.
    I am not to sure about the performance having a tighter suspension than the luxury. According to Caddilac the suspension is the same until you upgrade to the premium.

On my second note. I to just traded a 08 335i sport for a 3.6l Perf. In my opinion, the BMW interior display and ergonomics simply can't be beat. The orange lighting is so much easier to read and easier on the eyes. Or maybe this is just because I have driven BMW's for the past 12 years and worked at a BMW dealer for 7 years.

At the end of the day the only complaint I have is the ATS doesn't have the smooth down shifting as the BMW 3 series. It's as if its confused on what gear to choose.

I have a couple minor squeaks that hopefully can be fixed under warranty. At the end of the day the ATS was almost $100 cheaper a month on the lease vs the 335i and that to me was worth trying.

At lastly, the 1 series BMW will be the new old 3 series. The 3 series will never be what it was 8-10 years ago.

My two cents.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Not sure which suspension, but it was part of the Sports Package.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by mkco View Post
    Having had an E46 BMW myself, I totally agree. HOWEVER, that car isn't sold by BMW anymore, unfortunately. The next generation (E90) wasn't as sporty (I had one of those too) and the current one has fallen further since into the Lexus abyss. I'd take an ATS over the CURRENT 3-series any day! BMW has "jumped the shark"...Cadillac is on its way up.
    And i agree with what you said. Particularly the part about how BMW has gone "Lexus," soft drive and all.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    I was surprised by your initial comments, until I saw "e46," which caused me to go back and read "2002 325i" more closely. Your remarks are interesting and I have been thinking about this comparison a lot myself. When I was younger, my dream car was an e46 m3. I always loved the way it drove, looked, etc. One came up for sale recently and I really want to go drive it. Not to buy it, but just to see what my thoughts are now. During the period when I was obsessed with the e46 m3, I had two different cars, both FWD with MT. I am wondering now if that was the reason I wanted one so much (going from FWD MT to e46 m3 was always a huge difference). I want to see now what my impression would be that I am daily driving a 2.0t ATS with MT. Sure, I expect the e46 m3 to be faster, but I am wondering about handling and just overall drive feel.

I agree that the e90s and e92s don't drive like the e46s did, which is a shame in my opinion. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to driving an e46 m3 again (should the opportunity present itself - I feel bad going to test drive one with no intention of buying). Until then, I will sit and wonder, then read comments like above describing how great the e46 was and how the ATS doesn't stack up, and wonder even more . . .

Oh, I'll enjoy the ATS, but it will never compare to the E46; and that's why I have my Z4.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post

Oh, I'll enjoy the ATS, but it will never compare to the E46; and that's why I have my Z4.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    Good point. I never drove the performance version, but do believe that it would (should) be a tighter drive.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    Drive an F30 328 and then the ATS, and you'll realize the caddy is awesome.
    Wow, if you are talking about the ATS without performance package, then the 328 must be a dog. To be honest, I haven't driven the 2012-13 328, but have driven 08s, 09s, 10s and 11s as loaners, and knew right away that BMW has given up on the driving experience...but still a very good car.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

Quote Originally Posted by Doodah View Post
    At lastly, the 1 series BMW will be the new old 3 series. The 3 series will never be what it was 8-10 years ago.
    Agreed - If I didn't have GM ties, I would definitely have considered more seriously the 135. It would be nice to see Cadillac come up with a 1 series competitor. Off the top of my head, I believe the 1 is about 10 inches or so shorter than a 3. Sounds like fun to me. Although, the naming convention will be difficult for a "Cadillac 1 series." From large to small, to you have the XTS, CTS, ATS. Doesn't leave an alphabetically inferior monikers to denote a smaller car. We can still hope.

And I agree with the f30 comments. If you thought the e90 and e92s had gone soft, drive an f30. Pretty disappointed. Although, I won't say they are becoming "too Lexus," as I feel that is too much of an insult. I think we can at least say they are becoming "too Mercedes" haha.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Isn't the 1-series FWD? Quit your swearing!

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

It's very hard to compare anything but the current offerings from both manufacturers. In terms of sharpness and road feel, our ATS is analog and my e36 M3 is digital.

Yes, I understand the irony of that metaphor. Haha

Rin
    Rin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

[QUOTE=Siren05;3271039]Which suspension package do you have? FE2 or FE3

Better driver car than a 325 and I'm sorry but I disagree with your statement. MY 2 cents.[COLOR="Silver"]

I also had an older STi. Couldn't agree with you more! The ATS handles like a champ. Boy, I sure do like the new STis though. LOL Came very close to getting a new one, but they are a bit overpriced.

SLA

Quote Originally Posted by Rin View Post
    I spent years trying to fight physics in my LGT. It was a losing battle, but I'm happy now that I don't have to keep modifying it.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

[QUOTE=Rin;3272123]
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post

Better driver car than a 325 and I'm sorry but I disagree with your statement. MY 2 cents.[COLOR="Silver"]

I also had an older STi. Couldn't agree with you more! The ATS handles like a champ. Boy, I sure do like the new STis though. LOL Came very close to getting a new one, but they are a bit overpriced.
    My STI WAS 2011 hatch that was stolen last month.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I spent years trying to fight physics in my LGT. It was a losing battle, but I'm happy now that I don't have to keep modifying it.

I wasn't fighting anything. I was improving upon a great setup that suited my need for twisty tracks every weekend.
    The 2011 STI WAS A BEAST OUT OF THE BOX JUST A LITTLE TOO MUCH BODY ROLL FOR SMALL TRACKS

SLA

lol if you say so

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.