ATS drive from a BMW owner's perspective - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS drive from a BMW owner's perspective in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have test drove all 3 models of the ATS and I currently own an 2000 323i and I have ...
    ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: ATS drive from a BMW owner's perspective

I have test drove all 3 models of the ATS and I currently own an 2000 323i and I have to say they all reminded me of my car when it came to the handling prowess. My car does not have the sport package and rides on 16" wheels and the first thing I thought about the ATS when I drove it was how much it reminds me of the E46. The ATS is a better riding car but the steering, while good, isn't as direct as the E46. My car has all new suspension parts and I thought they were comparable on handing but the lack of larger wheels with better tires really doesn't help my car out. The ATS isolates the driver better from road impacts but otherwise they are very close. I have also test driven the latest non-sport F30 328i and it's softer than the E46 and the steering isn't as great as the ATS, but it has a great ride and I actually prefer the styling. The interior is a wash on either... the BMW is simpler and typical for the segment. The ATS has lots of different materials and textures but it looks upscale.

I'm not getting rid of my E46 for a long time but when I'm through with it I'm going to have a hard time choosing between the latest 3 Series and ATS. But I do have to say the spirit of the E46 lives in the ATS much more than the new 3.
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Isn't the 1-series FWD?
    It's RWD.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete7874
    It's RWD.
    It's the next 1 that will be FWD,

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

you guys do know that the ATS was benchmarked on the E46, right?
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

"This ability to make fast, running changes is part of Cadillac's strategy to let you update CUE by simply going online and downloading the latest software to a USB thumb drive, then plugging it into the car, rather than going to the dealer. We'll see how that works out when it actually goes online, and how Cadillac's even more ambitious plan to someday make the car itself a Wi-Fi hotspot and let it download software updates wirelessly works out when that day comes." -from the MotorTrend article linked in the above post

Does anybody know how this is progressing?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

currently dealers are doing the updates... GM sent out usb drives (one for nav systems and one for non-nav systems)

eventually they want to have it set up as stated in that MT article but as it is right now we're not there yet
    the wifi hotspot thing is also in the works for maybe next years models
    they are also working on an appstore ... there is an sdk out there for those interested in developing for CUE
    i imagine that the approval process will be even more stringent than apple's

officially, there is no word yet on any of this... just rumor and speculation
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Thanks, Chris.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    [B]"This ability to make fast, running changes is part of Cadillac's strategy to let you update CUE by simply going online and downloading the latest software to a USB thumb drive, then plugging it into the car, rather than going to the dealer.
    I just did a DIY update on our Ford MyTouch system from a USB drive. I was nervous at a couple points, including an unexpected error message that made it restart, but it ended up just fine. Took an hour. Perhaps not for the faint of heart quite yet.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Finally had a chance to get the car from my wife and take a nice drive. I still think the drive is softer than the earlier BMW 3s, but I also find that when in the Sport mode, the drive does improve - mostly with tighter steering, which is most appreciated. Also, although a softer ride, the car does hold rather well on higher speed turns (like on on/off highway exit ramps). Really getting to like this car more and more.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.