Looking To Purchase A New ATS
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Looking To Purchase A New ATS in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I am presently a 2008 BMW owner who is very interested in the new ATS.I think Cadillac has made good ...
    ATSwannabe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Looking To Purchase A New ATS

I am presently a 2008 BMW owner who is very interested in the new ATS.I think Cadillac has made good first attempt in this segment of the market.I test drove a Premium model with the 3.6 engine and was very impressed with the ride & handling,and with the exterior & interior styling.However I was not impressed with the operation of the transmission.It was erratic in shifting and the torque converter lock up is late & soft.I attempted to spec out model to my liking and was disappointed.The Premium model is close to what I am looking for,but i do not want the staggered wheels with performance tires.This combination usually means high tire wear(10 to 15K)and also does not allow for optimum rotation.The only way to get same size wheels & tires on the Premium is to order AWD.I already have an AWD vehicle which is my dailey driver.The ATS would be my fair weather car.I then tried to spec a performance model and found that the magnetic suspension is not available.That is a deal breaker.The Performance model does not have any performance options.I think the following changes to the ATS lineup would entice more Mercedes & BMW owners to switch to the ATS:
    Performance Model shoud have staggered wheels & summer performance tires,limited slip diff,and magnetic suspension.The Premium model should include same size wheels with all season tires,magnetic suspension,and Cue with navigation.
    This combinations more accuratley represent the model names.The price difference would not be signifficant but the models would appeal to different segments of the market.I don' think these changes would matter to many Cadillac owners,but Cadillacs goal is to entice Audi,BMW & Mercedes owners to switch.These changes to the lineup would be direct competion to the BMW & Mercedes Sport & Luxury models.
    Sorry to get so long winded but I am really interested in the ATS.I just can't see spending 50K dollars and not getting exactley what I want.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Looking To Purchase A New ATS

Since none of your suggestions address the outdated automatic transmission would it matter if the wheel "problem" was solved? Because a dealer should be more than happy to swap the staggered wheels summer tires with the wheels and tires of a Performance model from stock.

Quote Originally Posted by ATSwannabe View Post
    I am presently a 2008 BMW owner who is very interested in the new ATS.I think Cadillac has made good first attempt in this segment of the market.I test drove a Premium model with the 3.6 engine and was very impressed with the ride & handling,and with the exterior & interior styling.However I was not impressed with the operation of the transmission.It was erratic in shifting and the torque converter lock up is late & soft.I attempted to spec out model to my liking and was disappointed.The Premium model is close to what I am looking for,but i do not want the staggered wheels with performance tires.This combination usually means high tire wear(10 to 15K)and also does not allow for optimum rotation.The only way to get same size wheels & tires on the Premium is to order AWD.I already have an AWD vehicle which is my dailey driver.The ATS would be my fair weather car.I then tried to spec a performance model and found that the magnetic suspension is not available.That is a deal breaker.The Performance model does not have any performance options.I think the following changes to the ATS lineup would entice more Mercedes & BMW owners to switch to the ATS:
    Performance Model shoud have staggered wheels & summer performance tires,limited slip diff,and magnetic suspension.The Premium model should include same size wheels with all season tires,magnetic suspension,and Cue with navigation.
    This combinations more accuratley represent the model names.The price difference would not be signifficant but the models would appeal to different segments of the market.I don' think these changes would matter to many Cadillac owners,but Cadillacs goal is to entice Audi,BMW & Mercedes owners to switch.These changes to the lineup would be direct competion to the BMW & Mercedes Sport & Luxury models.
    Sorry to get so long winded but I am really interested in the ATS.I just can't see spending 50K dollars and not getting exactley what I want.

E365 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If the staggered wheels concern you that much, you could always buy another pair of front-matching 18x8" wheels and tires to install on the back. You'd probably get most of your money back too if you sold the nearly brand new pair you took off. Seems like a very simple fix to me.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    From what I understand, you can order a performance model with magnetic suspension. But it would have to be a special order, you would not find one on the lot. I have also come to understand that that is true for the HUD as well.

You're correct, the naming of the models is a bit odd, and the transmission is less than ideal. As you know, I got it attacked big-time for highlighting the flaw with the transmission, with most people telling me not to expect it to work the way I was expecting. The funny part, is that I have been driving a transmission that does exactly as I was expecting the last five years, LOL.

I believe the transmission itself is not the blame but the electronic controls which can be addressed in software changes.
    Your suggestion on wheels doesn't take in account the suspension is tuned to a specific wheel and tire package so just changing the wheel & tire to what I want won't be satisfactory.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    From what I understand, you can order a performance model with magnetic suspension. But it would have to be a special order, you would not find one on the lot. I have also come to understand that that is true for the HUD as well.

You're correct, the naming of the models is a bit odd, and the transmission is less than ideal. As you know, I got it attacked big-time for highlighting the flaw with the transmission, with most people telling me not to expect it to work the way I was expecting. The funny part, is that I have been driving a transmission that does exactly as I was expecting the last five years, LOL.
    Thanks Fraggy this is useful information.I see what you mean about getting attacked.I don't understand why voicing an opinion warrants sarcastic responses.No car is perfect and I thought any suggestions would get fair consideration without sarcasm.
    I know what you mean with the 5 years worth of a properly calibrated transmission.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

ATS, you might just be happier with a Performance for a couple of reasons. First, all of the tires are the same size, whether 17" or 18", all-season, and easily rotated. All suspensions on the ATS are labeled "sport", and are pretty firm and responsive, and definitely fun to drive. Car and Driver got 0.88 G with the same suspension and the 17" run-flats. The 18's may do a little better. The MR suspension is actually a bit softer and more supple in Touring mode, and probably too stiff in Sport. The performance gains with the Premium come from the summer tires primarily, and I have seen mid 0.9x's listed. If extreme corner carving isn't your forte (it is for me), then the FE2 with 18s will probably meet your needs.

Second, many people prefer the automatic when in Sport mode. Unfortunately, the Sport mode in the Premium adjusts the suspension and transmission together, and the resulting ride might then be too stiff for normal use. It's not an issue in the Performance. Please realize that the transmission has a learning algorithm, and will eventually learn your preferences. Additionally, as you continue to drive the car, you tend to anticipate the transmission's responses and eventually "learn" how to drive it better yourself. Both the Performance and Premium have the paddles as well, if you should want to take over.

The only things the Performance lacks are the MR suspension, folding back seat (pass-through only), limited slip differential, and the option of polished wheels. All of the other items are available as options. The difference when similarly equipped is only about a grand. I really wanted the suspension and tires, so went with the Premium. Try a Performance with 18s, as it just might fit your needs better.

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    ATS, you might just be happier with a Performance for a couple of reasons. First, all of the tires are the same size, whether 17" or 18", all-season, and easily rotated. All suspensions on the ATS are labeled "sport", and are pretty firm and responsive, and definitely fun to drive. Car and Driver got 0.88 G with the same suspension and the 17" run-flats. The 18's may do a little better. The MR suspension is actually a bit softer and more supple in Touring mode, and probably too stiff in Sport. The performance gains with the Premium come from the summer tires primarily, and I have seen mid 0.9x's listed. If extreme corner carving isn't your forte (it is for me), then the FE2 with 18s will probably meet your needs.

Thanks for the info Mark.I intend to test drive a Performance model to see how the suspensio
    Second, many people prefer the automatic when in Sport mode. Unfortunately, the Sport mode in the Premium adjusts the suspension and transmission together, and the resulting ride might then be too stiff for normal use. It's not an issue in the Performance. Please realize that the transmission has a learning algorithm, and will eventually learn your preferences. Additionally, as you continue to drive the car, you tend to anticipate the transmission's responses and eventually "learn" how to drive it better yourself. Both the Performance and Premium have the paddles as well, if you should want to take over.

The only things the Performance lacks are the MR suspension, folding back seat (pass-through only), limited slip differential, and the option of polished wheels. All of the other items are available as options. The difference when similarly equipped is only about a grand. I really wanted the suspension and tires, so went with the Premium. Try a Performance with 18s, as it just might fit your needs better.
    Thanks for the info mark.I intend to test drive a performance model to compare the ride & handling to the Premium model that I tested last week.I heard so much praise about the MR suspension that I would really like to spec it into my choice.I don't mind a firm and controlled ride,I just do not prefer the staggered wheel & tire combination because of wear and rotation considerations.I intend to wait for the 2014 models to see if Cadillac makes any changes in the lineup.Also it will give Cadillac more time to fine tune the Cue system

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.