Anyone take out run-flat tire insuarance?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By JSATS
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Anyone take out run-flat tire insuarance? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Picking up the ATS this morning and this question will probably not be answered by then, but here gores: Car ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Anyone take out run-flat tire insuarance?

Picking up the ATS this morning and this question will probably not be answered by then, but here gores: Car comes with run flats (had them on my BMW and couldn't wait to get rid of them) and they are very expensive to replace and certainly not as "fixable" as regular tires, so what do you guys think about tire insurances? And if any one has it, how much does this stuff cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rongotti is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Are you leasing? They offered it in my lease but I took my chances, I have found these tires for $150, coming from a truck with $250 tires I don't find that too bad at all lol

msheikh25 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Anyone take out run-flat tire insuarance?

I'm picking up my lease later today also and came here looking for same exact recommendation. I'm leaning towards not getting the insurance. Its supposed to be $10 extra a month so $360 over the lease. That means I would have to have at least 2 tires replaced in the 3 years to have it be worth the money.

@Rongotti the $150 per tire you mentioned...is that for runflats or regular replacements for the ATS and for 18" or 17". I got 18" on mine and assuming they'll probably be a bit more expensive.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

The run flat tires are only a few bucks more than regular tires. I know when my run flats need replacing I will buy regular tires and just carry a few cans of fixaflat in the trunk. Thats what I did with my snow tires.

----------

Oh and as far as the insurance for the tires I think its a huge waste of money. Unless you drive in some kind of war zone how many tire failures are you expecting? I haven't had a flat tire in about twenty years.
    msheikh25 and msheikh25 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    The run flat tires are only a few bucks more than regular tires. I know when my run flats need replacing I will buy regular tires and just carry a few cans of fixaflat in the trunk. Thats what I did with my snow tires.

----------

Oh and as far as the insurance for the tires I think its a huge waste of money. Unless you drive in some kind of war zone how many tire failures are you expecting? I haven't had a flat tire in about twenty years.
    That's good advice with the fixaflat.

I took my current car over 65k on the oem tires but they were 16" regular tires on a v6 accord. I'm not sure if 18" RFs will last the 36k for me not to have to replace them before turning the car in?

I'm leasing the car and thinking maybe I should just replace all the tires now so I can put the RFs back on before turning the car in at 36k miles.

Why not just run the run flats until you have an issue. Then buy all four tires until your lease runs out.
    Quote Originally Posted by msheikh25 View Post
    That's good advice with the fixaflat.

I took my current car over 65k on the oem tires but they were 16" regular tires on a v6 accord. I'm not sure if 18" RFs will last the 36k for me not to have to replace them before turning the car in?

I'm leasing the car and thinking maybe I should just replace all the tires now so I can put the RFs back on before turning the car in at 36k miles.

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    I decided against the insurance.
    I'd suspect the tire damaged beyond will likely have some wear which means all four will have to be done anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    Why not just run the run flats until you have an issue. Then buy all four tires until your lease runs out.
    I figured this way there can be no issue of them complaining about excessive wear or tires not being up to par with OEMs when lease is up. Its my first time leasing so I've been nervous about the termination part and trying to think ahead. Ideally i'd like to just run the tires for the 36k miles and be able to turn it back in without replacing them.

Rongotti is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msheikh25 View Post
    I'm picking up my lease later today also and came here looking for same exact recommendation. I'm leaning towards not getting the insurance. Its supposed to be $10 extra a month so $360 over the lease. That means I would have to have at least 2 tires replaced in the 3 years to have it be worth the money.

@Rongotti the $150 per tire you mentioned...is that for runflats or regular replacements for the ATS and for 18" or 17". I got 18" on mine and assuming they'll probably be a bit more expensive.
    Yea they were the 17" sir, 18" shouldnt be too much more

stevenzoz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

keep in mind the tire insurance also fully protects your rims as well... they said the runflat insurance is a percentage of the price of the car or something... anyways my runflat insurance is ~$18 a month... which still makes my payment under $300 a month so i'm fine with it.

Picked up the car earlier today and declined the tire insurance. I'm thinking about the wear and tear insurance though which covers upto $7500 worth of damage/wear and tear on the car. The price is $419 which is at cost according to finance guy. Is it worth the add on? I won't have to worry about replacing tires for sure with that. The guy said I can think it over for a few days and add it on if i want.

I'm not a big fan of any added insurance or extended warranties on anything. They are huge money makers for the dealers and the policy writers. Thats just my opinion and thats why I don't buy any of that stuff. I feel that most people will never ever use these added insurances or warranties.

ericzoom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08' SRX

I took the insurance on the RF's. I figure for the extra $10 month, it was not a big deal, and my payment
    is still only $265 month total. At least I made some of it back, because my 1st. lease payment was covered by
    Caddy, so it was only 35 payments on the 36 month lease.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Well, I bought the ATS and did take out tire/wheel insurance, and here's why. Although I normally have never taken out this kind of insurance, we are retired and just want piece of mind for the next three years. My wife is the primary driver and only puts on about 4-5K/yr and unless she gets a nail in the sidewall, these tires may last for ever. Had RFs on my BMWs and couldn't wait to get rid of them. However, as my BMWs were 11 and 7 years old, the RF tire technology has greatly improved since then and the tires on the ATS aren't all that bad. And, BTW, the three year insurance only cost $300 which would be the cost of replacing just one tire... Also, I might add, for my Z4 (no spare, just regular tires), I carry a plugging kit and a small portable airpump that runs off the battery.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.