Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Run Flat Tires

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  myronf 
#1 ·
For those of you that have run flats: What do you think? Are you happy that you have them? Hard ride? Stiff ride? Loud ride? I am skeptical of them. They were optional on my 06 Acura RL and nobody had anything good to say about them. I ended up with regular Michelins and they went 60 K miles. Have the run flats improved?

Myron

#6 ·
Siren05 said:
Mine ran smooth and quiet. But my gripe was 17" weighed in with RFs 54.4 each tire holy heavy.

My 18" rims with Michelin Pilot Super Sports non RFs weighed in at 43 lbs each. That's a pretty significant
weight savings in rotational mass. :)
I loved on PSS on a past car. But I'm sticking to the Stones unless something crazy happens.

#10 ·
I would expect it to be indicated on the tires themselves.

If you are talking about an ATS, if there is an air pump in your trunk it did NOT come with run flat tires. Only the base model painted flat spoke 17" wheels came with non run-flat tires.

Alternately, you could poke a hole in one and see if it goes flat ;)

#11 ·
Hoosier Daddy said:

If you are talking about an ATS, if there is an air pump in your trunk it did NOT come with run flat tires. Only the base model painted flat spoke 17" wheels came with non run-flat tires.

Haha, yup poke it :). Also, most runflats stay 'rft' or have a star on the sidewall.

----------

Hoosier Daddy said:

It is, no need to poke :). They have a star or say RFT.

#15 ·
I thought the run flats were harsh riding. I was driving the car last Month and hit a few pot holes and I said to my wife "these run flats are harsh and I think the fact that they are 18" wheels make them even harsher" Then I thought a bit more and realized that I had my 17" non run flat snows on at the time. Since then I have put my 18" RFT's back on and they feel the same as the snows as far as harshness. Maybe its just a state of mind when it comes to these tires?

#16 ·
JSATS

Thanks for the response. It seems that they have gotten better in the last 5 or so years. Interesting that you have snows. I live in WI and have a steep driveway. are snows really necessary. My last cars were an Audi a4, audi q5 and Acura RL. all with AWD and the worked fine in the snow with all season tires. Any particular reason as to why you bought a set of snows? Did you buy RWD?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.