Cadillac is lucky... - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac is lucky... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by jimmyh all automatics suck. Direct shift trans arent any better. Originally Posted by 73jps yep: Much better ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Cadillac is lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
    all automatics suck. Direct shift trans arent any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by 73jps View Post
    yep: Much better to take three pedals for less than the price of two

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen!!

gmesam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t; manual, black on black

Fraggy, don't let some responses change your posts. There were some nice discussions that came out of this thread too.

drsketch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I just have one question or comment in the form of a question...

Who the f*** buys an automatic to drive it in the fraudulent "stick" mode anyway? I mean it's a joke among jokes of all time, and whomever invented/thought it up in my opinion is an idiot. You either get a stick that comes with a clutch that you can have fun with and drive, or get an automatic.

Unfortunately this thing did not come in AWD manual, who knows why caddy has to follow BMW and not be their own brand in this regard but they didn't build it hence why I personally have the automatic(live in a snow area and too lazy and unwilling to swap out snow tires every winter season). I will never use the "manual" option and would actually prefer the old school (shame this is now old school) automatic low gears.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
    I just have one question or comment in the form of a question...
    Who the f*** buys an automatic to drive it in the fraudulent "stick" mode anyway?
    Well, anyone driving a current Ferrari for starters.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

I live up on a long hill. Its three miles all down hill and its pretty twisty. When we get snow and its slippery I like using the paddle shifters to downshift as I go down hill instead of constantly riding the brakes. I like using the manual mode every now and then. I guess if my car didn't come with a manual mode I wouldn't miss it but since it has it I will use it.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    Well, anyone driving a current Ferrari for starters.
    Dual clutch will destroy any manual tranny on a race track. But the a dual clutch is not what we have.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    I live up on a long hill. Its three miles all down hill and its pretty twisty. When we get snow and its slippery I like using the paddle shifters to downshift as I go down hill instead of constantly riding the brakes. I like using the manual mode every now and then. I guess if my car didn't come with a manual mode I wouldn't miss it but since it has it I will use it.
    But you are supposed to do the same in all automatic cars, ie. select a 'max gear', that's why there is manual override control, in old or new systems. Unless you switch gear at every corner, you won't need paddle shifters for that.

The old rule (in manual) was to ride uphill in the same gear as downhill. In an automatic you are supposed to do the same. I never ride my brakes on a downhill stretch, manual or automatic. (Only when I was towing a boat on a steep downgrade once).

well if these were 100K+ cars with dual clutch automatic transmissions then I'd agree that automatic is the better option. But for most cases, Clutch>slush box

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Try one of those fancy dual clutch transmission on a 95º day. Then see how much you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Try one of those fancy dual clutch transmission on a 95º day. Then see how much you like them.
    Do they suck in hot weather?

I've only ever driven one, and it was a Porsche on a cool day, I thought it was neat, but I'd miss not being able to manually row through gears down a straight!!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Ever been with someone learning to drive stick? That's what a dsg is like in stop and go traffic on a really hot day. I admit they are awesome when you are wringing them out. But at least the VW and GTR examples don't take well to traffic.

meh, my old SS cobalt was a stick, it wasn't bad in heavy traffic, I just hung behind tractor trailers, they always seem to be constantly rolling in heavy traffic.

They're not just great in a straight line, they dominate on the track. Nothing better than pegging a corner at the peak HP range then firing out at 4K rpm.

& yeah I have been with someone learning stick... but it was never been in my car so I didn't give a damn at the abuse the poor car was subjected to haha!

ATSwannabe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I am presently not an ATS owner as indicated by my user name,but i am definitley interested in purchasing an ATS.I think Cadillac has done a reasonably good job for a first year introduction.However I agree with Fraggy that they missed the mark on some things.I drove a Premium model with a V6 and was very impressed with the ride and handling.The transmission is not worthy of this car.The shifts are erratic and unpredictable.The engine was noisy but very responsive.My main gripe is with the packaging.They list a Performance model tha has no performance features,such as staggered wheels & tires with performance summer tires,limited slip diff,And the magnetic suspension.I will elaborate on this more in a later post.Cadillacs goal was clearly to appeal to the Mercedes,BMW owners,but I think they missed the mark on there model packages.
    I see that some members are critical of Fraggy's comments,but how do you expect to convey to Cadillac that there is room for improvement.No manufacturer has yet made a perfect car and the only way to get improvements is provde constructive criticism.I don't know why this offends some members.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

ATSwannabe - I agree that the "performance" trim level doesn't really add anything performance oriented. It's more like base, uplevel1, uplelvel2, uplevel3, and "standard," "luxury," "performance," and "premium" are just random adjectives denoting the price bracket into which each trim level falls, and not related to the features provided/available on the cars (i.e., "luxury" is not luxury-oriented, "performance" is not performance-oriented, etc. I still think the car dives great, and the real performance model will be the V. As for the LSD, that comes with manual transmission, so that's good.

ATSwannabe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I agree that is what the models really represent,but I hope cadillac doesn,t change the name from Performance to something else.I think it makes more sense to add the performance features to the model.
    You don't have to have a graduated price increase to each model.If you look at both Mercedes and BMW,they have sport & luxury models that are similarly priced.The sport models appeal to a different segment of owners than the luxury models.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.