2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey guys! I picked up my manual ATS on Tuesday and let me first start by saying...AMAZING car! I do ...
    Rin
    Rin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky?

Hey guys! I picked up my manual ATS on Tuesday and let me first start by saying...AMAZING car! I do feel like the shifting is a little "clunky" though. I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but it feels real bolt like especially in 1st and 2nd like it doesn't go into the gear as smooth as it should (1-4). Now, I don't THINK anything is wrong. I've driven several manual transmissions, and I just think it could be smoother. I can also feel vibrations through the clutch when it's fully engaged with revs slightly up. This is probably being picky too. Anyone else have a manual and recognize this?

First post! Cheers,
    Rin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

scsgoal31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Manual - Performance

Re: 2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky?

Yes to all you stated. I was concerned about the vibrations when disengaged as well. Glad you experience the same.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I am very happy with the way mine shifts, consider it as smooth as my '08 Corvette. Only thing I would like is a shorter shift pattern. I'm sure we will see one offered aftermarket in time, maybe MGW or Hurst.

Rin

Hmmmm, one experiencing the same thing and one not. It could be personal preference though. I've never driven a corvette so I'm not sure how smooth they shift. I don't remember anything like this during my test drive.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

I posted this in another manual thread, here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ws-manual.html

I feel that the manual in the ATS is pretty damn good, and the gearing is spaced remarkably well for the power delivery of the 2.0T power band. Unfortunately the gearing seems to be a bit "short" (0-62 requiring 3rd gear), however it fits the engine well.
    I came from a BMW prior to this (07 Z4 ///M), and that was a bit rubbery, however direct.
    The wife owned an NC Miata, and even though it was a pleasure to drive I personally felt the shifter was a bit too easy to shift (not a very weighted feeling shifter), however very direct. Kind of like playing a video game feeling. It also was a shift happy car, however again matched the engine output very well.
    The wife currently has an RX-8 and the shifter is very similar to the Miata, however the clutch pedal is overly heavy for no improvement in feeling.

I have ~2500 miles on my ATS now and I feel the ATS shifter became much better than when new. Initially the shifts were a bit notchy and also had a feeling of 2 notches per gear shift (kind of a click_clank kind of feel). Also left/right action of the shifter was a bit stiff, and forced the shifter back to the neutral middle section pretty regularly. However the left/right now feels much more neutral with a good return to the center position. The clutch pedal engadgment is very repeatable and accurate with a good weight and good feedback.
    Down shifting is pretty seamless with no issue on 3rd/2nd shifting whatsoever. Rev matching between gearing seems very natural and the throttle input needed from 3rd/2nd, or 4th/3rd, etc... all seem to be about the same, one little blip, a down shift, and your right where you need to be.
    When the car is REALLY cold (read about 6 degrees currently) the shifts can be a bit difficult to find the gates or, well shift the shifter into it, however the car warms up quick enough and it gets easy enough again.
    gmesam and gmesam like this.

Steve 717 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Manual

I think mine has smoothed out over time, particularly engaging reverse. I have not had any noticable vibration - I'm quite pleased with it.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Rin View Post
    I can also feel vibrations through the clutch when it's fully engaged with revs slightly up. This is probably being picky too. Anyone else have a manual and recognize this?
    First post! Cheers,
    Rin
    Welcome by the way!..
    As for the vibrations, I notice it slightly however I relate that to a connected feeling (to each their own), and wouldn't consider it a bad thing.
    My BMW M was similar except it was more of an exhaust feeling/pulses than it was just vibration.

Rin

Nice replies here. I think I'll come back after about 2K miles and report the difference. Love this car!

marktanner is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

My car has about 330 miles on it now. The first day, the shifter was kind of stiff, but it loosened up quickly. It seems pretty precise, and not notchy, either. Also, no vibrations in the clutch. I'm pretty happy with it.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Rin, I look forward to your update when you reach 2K! Thank you for sharing your experience, and please let me know if you would like us to investigate further or check for recalls, etc., in the meantime. I'm happy to help where I can and am available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Welcome to the forum!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

unclemoose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance - Radiant Silver Metallic

I have about 1500 miles and I notice the same issues.

1) Vibration in the clutch pedal. Although it's slight, I've never experienced this before in other cars. It's sort of a high frequency vib

2) Shifting into first and second is a bit chunky. Going into first the shift boot makes a popping noise. When it's cold it's super chunky, but that's expected.

I'll give it some time too before getting it looked at.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I've never driven a smooth transmission from a GM product. I've driven the following

5th gen camaro LT/LS/SS/ZL1
    CTS V
    C5/C6
    cobalt LS/SS
    G6 GTP
    Saab 9-5

.. I work for GM lol, driven them all, and I'm not knocking them, but they've ALL had notchy shifters. The 1-2 gap on the Camaro/cobalt and G6 were BRUTAL lol.

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

I think the shift action is positive and accurate. Buttery smooth? Not yet, but my car has only 350 miles and I expect it to loosen up. I also have a 2004 Pontiac GTO with six-speed, and it was somewhat "notchy" when new. But we are talking about shifting a pretty substantial collection of mechanical cogs in either car, so shouldn't we expect some force or resistance? I had a 1966 Ferrari for many years, and it took even more force, but I never got tired of shifting it. I think the ATS shifter is fine!

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT
    I have about 3000 on my car. I think the shift action is pretty good. I haven't experience the vibration in the clutch pedal when disengaged that people are referring to. I agree with the earlier post however that when it is cold (less than 20), the shift action can be extremely stiff and the car can be hard to get in gear - but that is to be expected in that cold of weather.

Overall I am pretty impressed - but this is going from a FWD car with a stick to RWD.

Rin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoose View Post

1) Vibration in the clutch pedal. Although it's slight, I've never experienced this before in other cars. It's sort of a high frequency vib

2) Shifting into first and second is a bit chunky. Going into first the shift boot makes a popping noise. When it's cold it's super chunky, but that's expected.

This is EXACTLY what I experience.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoose View Post

This is EXACTLY what I experience.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.