2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky? - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho I double clutch all my manual cars. Have for 24 years. You don't have to on ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: 2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I double clutch all my manual cars. Have for 24 years. You don't have to on today's transmissions. But if you do, downshifts will be uber-smooth...
    exactly

Lorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo Performance Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo

If I'm in 4th, put the clutch in and blip the throttle, getting it into third takes some force (even At the correct RPM of course)

but if I double clutch the SAME maneuver, the shifter pretty much falls into third with no effort, as I've matched it perfectly and the synchro's have no meshing to do.

:
    Steve, I wasn't clear - when you double clutch, do you also blip the throttle, or do you double clutch INSTEAD of blipping the throttle?

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    Steve, I wasn't clear - when you double clutch, do you also blip the throttle, or do you double clutch INSTEAD of blipping the throttle?
    When down shifting do both.

Or if you are in no rush skip the clutch totally by gently pull it out of gear, matching the revs and sliding it in the lower gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    well if you're going from 4 - 3 say...

put it into neutral and let the clutch out

blip the RPMS to what they should be at for 3rd at the speed your doing

put the clutch in and toss the shifter into 3rd

AudiA4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    well if you're going from 4 - 3 say...

put it into neutral and let the clutch out

blip the RPMS to what they should be at for 3rd at the speed your doing

put the clutch in and toss the shifter into 3rd
    What about this makes it "ubber smooth"? I've always driven manuals, but don't understand what depressing the clutch twice actually does on today's transmissions.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
    What about this makes it "ubber smooth"? I've always driven manuals, but don't understand what depressing the clutch twice actually does on today's transmissions.
    Depressing the clutch twice does nothing. The transmission has to be put in neutral between those depressions to have an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Depressing the clutch twice does nothing. The transmission has to be put in neutral between those depressions to have an effect.
    actually putting the stick into neutral then letting the clutch out connects the transmission to the engine, then, blipping the gas while the two are connected brings the Engine and trans to the same speed, making the synchro's not have to do much and engaging a much smoother shift

if you just put the clutch down, put it in neutral then blip the gas while the clutch is still depressed all you're doing is revving up the engine, not the trans because they're not connected, the synchro's have to do the work of matching the speed of the trans to the engine.

no blipping the gas at all and just cramming it from 4-3 means the engine is not up to the higher gear, thus causing the jarring and awful feeling you get when the engine catches up.

anyways, shift how like, and yes, with synchronized transmissions you dont HAVE to double clutch, but it really does reduce wear on synchro's and makes for a hell of a smooth shift, and TBH, I dont really do it that often, I've become really good at just rev matching, but for skipping gears I ALWAYS double clutch.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.