2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky? - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Well, okay. Just reminds me of the ol' Studebaker Hill Holder is all... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder...
    73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Re: 2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky?

Well, okay. Just reminds me of the ol' Studebaker Hill Holder is all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

I have had no issues with the 1-2 shift what-so-ever. My only issues have been occasional difficulty getting third to engage, and a weak reverse lockout. Now that I have 1000 miles on it it's even smoother and more precise. I happen to like the hill-holder, as we have a lot of steep hills. I never had a problem without it, but now no worries about rolling back or needing to use the parking brake on really steep hills. It operates smooth as silk for me, and very transparent.

Rin
    Rin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Okay guys/gals, I'm at 1K miles and it's not any better. In fact, it's worse. The other day when it was chilly in the morning it was fairly difficult to shift, especially 1-2-3. On the way home from work, when it was warmer, it even came out of first gear. I guess I didn't it cram it into first hard enough and it just slipped out after the clutch was completely disengaged. I'm hoping the dealership still has a manual, so I can go drive it and see if it does the same thing. Like I said before, I don't remember this at all during the test drive. Other than this, I love my car.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

Rin, occasionally some cars can have bad shifters, or at least just be mis-aligned. I drove two other sticks before getting mine, and they all felt slightly different, but none were bad. It sounds like yours needs some work. I would definitely bring it back to the dealer. It should never pop out of gear.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I find you gotta manhandle this car a bit more than most manuals as its sorta notch y. Its defiantly not a smooth shifter lol. I dont hate it though, it feels expensive, my bro had a mazda speed protege and that shifter was smooth as butter, but it flopped around and felt cheap lol.

sd vidiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6M

I'm getting some vibration in the clutch pedal when fully depressed. I've not experienced this in any recent vintage car (Audi, BMW) I've owned. I do remember it from my 1974 Pinto, though! I'm going to bring it in for a look (while they work on my faulty lumbar support). Has anyone else had this issue looked at?

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by sd vidiot View Post
    I'm getting some vibration in the clutch pedal when fully depressed. I've not experienced this in any recent vintage car (Audi, BMW) I've owned. I do remember it from my 1974 Pinto, though! I'm going to bring it in for a look (while they work on my faulty lumbar support). Has anyone else had this issue looked at?
    i have the same thing. and i think alot of ppl do.

YoshiFD3S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T Manual, '11 Sonata 2.0T, '94 Mazda RX-7 w/ 2JZ

Shifting in this car does feel pretty notchy from 1st to 2nd, and I HATE having Reverse to the left....lol, trying to make quick 3-point turns I've more than once shifted BACK into Reverse when I didn't mean to. Haha!

I wish they had at least incorporated something like other cars have where you either push down on the shifter or pull up on some ring below the shift knob.

I've only got 6## miles on mine and I will say that overall the shifting has gotten smoother, and down-shifting is super easy.

As mentioned earlier though, I also dislike that you have to shift up to 3rd gear for 0-62 runs.

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiFD3S View Post
    I HATE having Reverse to the left....lol, trying to make quick 3-point turns I've more than once shifted BACK into Reverse when I didn't mean to. Haha!

I wish they had at least incorporated something like other cars have where you either push down on the shifter or pull up on some ring below the shift knob.
    I prefer it to the left of first. My XR4ti was left and forward, MGB was left and back, Lincoln LS left and forward, Healey was left and back, only my Mustang right and back and my Ranger right and back did not have reverse near first (my Econoline was on the tree so it was near first but not to the left).

Only the MGB required you to push down the shifter all the others just required you to pull past a detent (which is my preference).

kmb32687 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD Manual

Im at 2000 miles on it. 1st and 2nd gear is getting much better than before. More smoother.

Just need to break it in.

YoshiFD3S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T Manual, '11 Sonata 2.0T, '94 Mazda RX-7 w/ 2JZ

After posting on here and driving some more...honestly, I'd say 1st through 4th gear are all pretty darn notchy. Even shifting fast..it's just not smooth.

It's totally driveable...but mannnnn, I can't wait for someone to release a short-shifter that will address the notchiness.

Lorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo Performance Manual

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiFD3S View Post
    Shifting in this car does feel pretty notchy from 1st to 2nd, and I HATE having Reverse to the left....lol, trying to make quick 3-point turns I've more than once shifted BACK into Reverse when I didn't mean to. Haha!
    I also found that the reverse to the left took a bit of getting used to. When starting off, I find I have to jiggle the stick a bit until it moves into reverse; but when warmed up, if I'm slow on the draw at a traffic light, and jam it into gear quickly from a stop, I find on occasion that I have put it into reverse instead of 1st. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is a bit clunky, but improves once it warms up. I find the gears synchronize best if I shift at around 3000 rpm. It's been getting smoother the more I drive it, only have about 700km on it now. But for all its quirks, I love the car, and love the manual gearbox!

Lorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo Performance Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    well when I downshift I always double clutch, I know some say its useless with synchro's, but when I'm at 60km/hr and I'm in neutral, rev it up to 3K rpm and the shifter literally will fall into third.

It is the synchro's, I'm sure of it, because if it was the shifter then it wouldn't be so smooth when you rev match perfectly.
    Steve, could you explain what double clutching accomplishes, that rev-matching alone does not accomplish?

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    Steve, could you explain what double clutching accomplishes, that rev-matching alone does not accomplish?
    It takes the work off the synchro's I know it sounds silly, but you're doing what the synchro's would be doing. If you're not convinced try it.

If I'm in 4th, put the clutch in and blip the throttle, getting it into third takes some force (even At the correct RPM of course)

but if I double clutch the SAME maneuver, the shifter pretty much falls into third with no effort, as I've matched it perfectly and the synchro's have no meshing to do.

Basically, by double clutching you're doing the work that the synchro's would normally have to do, when the sychro's mesh together they need to slow the gears down to match, this all takes time and causes the shifter to notch. But if you perform this action, the transmission is already lined up with the road speed perfectly and the gear teeth fit like a glove, causing no shifting resistance.

Honestly though, I mainly double clutch when I'm skipping gears, but for regular downshifting I dont bother

If anyone doesn't believe me try it, see how easily the shifter falls into gear when you double clutch as opposed to simple rev matching.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I double clutch all my manual cars. Have for 24 years. You don't have to on today's transmissions. But if you do, downshifts will be uber-smooth...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.