2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; ok so I just picked my car up last night. I gotta say the shift action feels fine, FOR ME ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: 2.0 Manual Transmission Kinda Clunky?

ok so I just picked my car up last night.

I gotta say the shift action feels fine, FOR ME anyways, I know every cars a little different. But I find its a nice tight shifter, no issues at all

oh and yeah the shifter does vibrate and the 2.0 is a bit noisy.. but I'm a young guy.. so.. not gonna lie, I kinda like that

gmesam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t; manual, black on black

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago -- now have like 800 miles on it.

I notice when the car is cold on a cold day, the shifter is stiffer; but it quickly loosens up. It's also tough to get into reverse. Besides that, I really enjoy it and it never really brings attention to itself.

*Disclaimer: GM employee here, but all opinions are strictly my own.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Gmesam, I'm pleased to see you're enjoying your ATS overall! If you decide to visit your dealership at any point regarding shifter concerns and would like assistance working with your dealer, please let me know. I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and happy to help where I can.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Rin
    Rin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok, I'm reporting back a bit early here (@ ~600 miles). It seems like it's actually getting slightly worse since all but 5th and 6th gears are doing it (the higher you go the better it gets), but it could just be me being paranoid. 1st and 2nd obviously are the worst, even after the car is warm. Stevo Supremo, you don't feel any "notchyness" or feel like you have to force it more than other manuals you've driven? I know they reworked the manuals because there were complaints from reviews, but what exactly did they do? Just change the bushing? I feel like it should be a much much smother shift, and as I mentioned before I don't remember this problem during my test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rin View Post
    Ok, I'm reporting back a bit early here (@ ~600 miles). It seems like it's actually getting slightly worse since all but 5th and 6th gears are doing it (the higher you go the better it gets), but it could just be me being paranoid. 1st and 2nd obviously are the worst, even after the car is warm. Stevo Supremo, you don't feel any "notchyness" or feel like you have to force it more than other manuals you've driven? I know they reworked the manuals because there were complaints from reviews, but what exactly did they do? Just change the bushing? I feel like it should be a much much smother shift, and as I mentioned before I don't remember this problem during my test drive.
    well the issue with the shifting action I feel is not with the shifter, but the transmission synchro's are either..

a)very very god damned touchy (Wich is typical of GM transmissions), Getrag take the cake on that one.
    b)take a while to get worked in.

My old cobalt SS had the WORST shifter/trans I've ever driven, each gear shift was a battle, but I had it looked at by a few mechanics and they all said my clutch/synchro's were all fine. Go on the cobalt forums.. everyone bitches about the shift action, now that I think about it, that was the Getrag transmission used in Saabs to lol.. 3rd gear in those was a ticking time bomb.

whatever the reason is, the synchro's dont like letting gears in unless the RPMS are matching the correct speed. I'm almost 100% positive its a synchro thing, not the shifter.

Rin
    Rin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yup, I've noticed if I time the shift PERFECTLY and shift slower the problem is really nonexistent so sounds like you're correct about synchros being the issue.

adiaz2331 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6-Speed

You guys are starting to get me worried lol. When I test drove a manual a few weeks back, 1-2 seemed like it just couldn't get off smooth, but for the most part the rest of the action of the shifter felt fine. I'm going to be getting my car in probably a month and a half, 2.0 RWD Premium, I really hope there isn't anything to be concerned about.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by adiaz2331 View Post
    You guys are starting to get me worried lol. When I test drove a manual a few weeks back, 1-2 seemed like it just couldn't get off smooth, but for the most part the rest of the action of the shifter felt fine. I'm going to be getting my car in probably a month and a half, 2.0 RWD Premium, I really hope there isn't anything to be concerned about.
    You'll be fine, I seriously don't understand all of the complaints unless there seriously is a flaw in theirs. I came from a BMW M previously and I really have no complaints.

cztrammell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoose View Post
    I have about 1500 miles and I notice the same issues.

1) Vibration in the clutch pedal. Although it's slight, I've never experienced this before in other cars. It's sort of a high frequency vib

2) Shifting into first and second is a bit chunky. Going into first the shift boot makes a popping noise. When it's cold it's super chunky, but that's expected.

I'll give it some time too before getting it looked at.
    I picked mine up last week and have almost 700 miles on it. I noticed everything everyone has mentioned, and shifting wasn't smooth from day one. I thought it was just me, since I know it takes me a while to get used to shifting in an unfamiliar car. Also, I noticed that my transition to 1-2 is a little easier, and I figure I'd contribute that to the clutch being broken in.

P.S. Hill assist management annoys the hell out of me. First few days, I nearly stalled out if not stalled completely on hills. I want to turn that $#!t OFF.

well when I downshift I always double clutch, I know some say its useless with synchro's, but when I'm at 60km/hr and I'm in neutral, rev it up to 3K rpm and the shifter literally will fall into third.

It is the synchro's, I'm sure of it, because if it was the shifter then it wouldn't be so smooth when you rev match perfectly.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

I have not received my car yet, but with the general malaise I have read regarding the driveline I thought I should test drive a manual transmission; I did so on Monday and frankly, I couldn't find much to complain about. The throws are a bit longer than I would like, but other than that I found it to be chunkerific and perfectly suitable.

And to Steve's point about double clutching with synchros, whoever says it is useless has clearly never owned a slightly cantankerous manual transmission with a large 1st-2nd ratio gap; double-clutching, even though the transmission has synchros, is a perfectly serviceable way to smooth out shifts that otherwise don't co-operate as well as you would like.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

Quote Originally Posted by cztrammell View Post

P.S. Hill assist management annoys the hell out of me. First few days, I nearly stalled out if not stalled completely on hills. I want to turn that $#!t OFF.
    Agreed - Not a huge fan of the hill assist. After playing with it some, I determined that it releases the brakes after throttle input. If you start to release the clutch while you transition to the gas, you can get the car to stall. Happened to me once on a big hill - lift of brake, move foot to gas AND begin disengaging clutch, throttle input, car stalls before brakes are released. Try it out, start on a hill, release the brakes and let the clutch out before providing throttle input. You can feel the car start to pull against the brakes. Also, on a hill, take your foot off the brakes, just tap the gas, and the car will start to roll backwards. It would be really nice if there were an override for the hill assist. I guess it's kind of neat, but if you know how drive a stick well, you definitely don't need it and it becomes a hindrance and makes driving feel less natural.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Oh wow, that's annoying: I'm not going to like that. I wish there were a way to de-activate that through the personalization settings, but there doesn't appear to be.

I've used the hill assist a few times, I like it. just blip the gas up a little, brake releases and let the clutch out I dont have an issue with it.
    Jones atsnh and Jones atsnh like this.

Jones atsnh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0t Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    I've used the hill assist a few times, I like it. just blip the gas up a little, brake releases and let the clutch out I dont have an issue with it.
    Hear Hear. I thought the hill assist is an awesome feature!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.