Why is media bombing ATS's CUE? - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Why is media bombing ATS's CUE? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by gfxbt Maybe it's just new technology in a car that people aren't used to? I'm sure that's ...
    Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

Re: Why is media bombing ATS's CUE?

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    Maybe it's just new technology in a car that people aren't used to?
    I'm sure that's part of it. Although judging by other comments in this thread, there are other issues, too.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

This is indeed correct. The solution however is quite simple. As you suggest, with permanent buttons "a driver first glances briefly at the console to see where the button is, and then puts his finger there." With CUE, as you move your hand toward the screen, the buttons reappear. If you change your habit to: moving your hand toward the screen, and then glancing toward the screen when your hand is 8 inches or so away, the buttons are there and then you put your finger there. It really isn't that hard - just change the the order of operations from 1) look, 2) move hand, 3) push button to 1) begin hand movement, 2) look, 3) press button. I'm actually quite baffled as to all of the trouble with this. Additionally, I leave the audio screen as the current screen presented at almost all times. There are only a handful of buttons up there. After driving it for one day you have a pretty good idea of where the buttons are (i.e., within an inch or two of your target). Like I said, I really don't understand what is so hard about this. Maybe it's just new technology in a car that people aren't used to?
    Let me continue whining about my pet peeve (changing the radio station). I can change the radio station with a knob quickly and repeatedly without ever looking. No looking, ever. Also, I can go up and down the dial simply and reliably. With the CUE buttons, 1) if you are a tiny bit off, you've hit a preset instead of the up button (crap), and 2) switching from up to down (or vice versa) forces you to look AGAIN to find the other button. Again, I imagine most people don't mess with the radio much, but if I want to browse around to pick a song I like, or go back and forth between football games, it is a pain. Call me a radio power user, I guess. :-)

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

Quote Originally Posted by huna View Post
    if I want to browse around to pick a song I like, or go back and forth between football games, it is a pain.
    This is a very good point and I can see the frustration. Have you tried having a large number of presets (i.e., a preset for every radio station you will potentially listen to)? I have about 25 presets (all the XM channels I might ever listen to) and I scroll through them using the steering wheel controls. Even better, when you get to the end of your presets, a loops back to the beginning, which I think is a very minor detail that is a nice touch. And if you categorize them (or simply arranging them numerically will do the trick), I find it easy enough to use (e.g., the channels playing football games would likely be in close proximity to one another). You are right though, the drawback is that if (for some reason) I want a radio station that isn't a preset, it is somewhat cumbersome to find.

gmlr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I find the CUE very simple to use. The radio should have buttons on the back of the steering wheel for changing the stations.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

This is a very good point and I can see the frustration. Have you tried having a large number of presets (i.e., a preset for every radio station you will potentially listen to)? I have about 25 presets (all the XM channels I might ever listen to) and I scroll through them using the steering wheel controls. Even better, when you get to the end of your presets, a loops back to the beginning, which I think is a very minor detail that is a nice touch. And if you categorize them (or simply arranging them numerically will do the trick), I find it easy enough to use (e.g., the channels playing football games would likely be in close proximity to one another). You are right though, the drawback is that if (for some reason) I want a radio station that isn't a preset, it is somewhat cumbersome to find.
    Good advice. I have four sets of presets right now to get a lot of coverage to do as you suggest. Unfortunately I like a LOT of stations. And for football games, where they are mixed somewhat randomly across 8 of perhaps 12 stations (?), the presets don't work well. Also, cycling through presets is kind of slow, as I'm sure you know.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

Quote Originally Posted by huna View Post
    Also, cycling through presets is kind of slow, as I'm sure you know.
    Couldn't agree more. I do like the CUE system, but cycling through presets is very slow. Just hitting the seek button on the steering wheel from one preset to the next (even sequentially numbered presets) takes several seconds. Hopefully this will eventually be solved with a software update (as opposed to being a hardware issue (e.g., processor to slow)).

Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

Disclaimer: I don't work for Consumer Reports and I don't consider CR to be an expert on cars, but the below video reflects the general theme that media sings on the subject of CUE...

----------

(as opposed to being a hardware issue (e.g., processor to slow)).
    From what I've found, CUE uses a 3-core ARM11 CPU. I haven't been able to find any performance comparisons for it, but I'm guessing it's closer in performance to a modern smartphone than it is to a home PC or even a laptop. It has to handle two screen displays and voice recognition. It could be a limiting factor, but so could be poorly written software, I guess.

RXUYDC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Premium

I love CUE.

The key is to spend an hour reading the manual, setting the options (for example, you can turn off the feature that hides the buttons), thinking about how you really use media in the car, and setting the shortcuts and menus up to suit. Then, as others have said, learn to use the steering wheel controls and make use of the voice commands where they work well (choosing a radio station for example). Just a little bit of thought and planning. Its simply a mindset change.

I just returned from a 1200 mile journey in a vehicle that didn't have CUE, but it did have a screen, knobs and buttons. It was very frustrating, and confirmed to me that CUE is the future. It sounds simple - just press a button or turn a knob - but the actual implementation of that is not so easy, requiring multiple menus, modes and screens. I kept touching the screen, because intuitively that is what made sense, only to realize I need to touch the knob - no not that one, the other one, now press the top half, not the bottom half, turn the outer rim, press the top half, turn the outer rim, too far, turn the other way, press the top half, now press the bottom half three times, oh wait that cancelled it because I needed to only press the bottom half twice and then the top half, and then the bottom half (actual directions for trying to set a NAV command). And CUE is distracting?

In contrast, CUE is largely intuitive - touch here, swipe here, press that. It can certainly be improved, but then so can most of the systems I have come across that use knobs and buttons. The technology is in its infancy, and we are seeing some early teething pains, but it is here to stay.

In answer to the question posed by this thread - why is the media bombing CUE - I believe it is sloppy journalism that is looking for controversy to sell copy. It is a testament to how good the car is that so much of the review is about CUE. Got to find something negative to write about. Just ask Elon Musk.

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

Very well expressed, RSUYDC: I agree. Like any new technology (I am old enough to remember when my home town got dial telephone equipment; many people were so upset that "Central" would not be able to connect their calls...), it takes a while for it to become mainstream. As I've posted here before, I'm 71, but still love the latest advance in technology, etc. As for Consumer's Reports: I feel that they are only interested in "Point A to Point B" in any of their car reviews; I have found many of them to be the exact opposite of what I have experienced in their 'not worthy' car reviews. To each, his own....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.