Why is media bombing ATS's CUE? - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Why is media bombing ATS's CUE? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Oh, I see. I guess it's a moot point then if one is considering that 3.6 version which is not ...
    Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

Re: Why is media bombing ATS's CUE?

Oh, I see. I guess it's a moot point then if one is considering that 3.6 version which is not available in standard trim...

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    only thing I'm not sure of is if that center stack still flips up for ipod/SD card hookup
    If you are talking about the non-CUE center stack, it did not seem to open up.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    If you are talking about the non-CUE center stack, it did not seem to open up.

I found this

"The Standard trim comes with leatherette upholstery, a Bose AM/FM/XM sound system with center console-mounted USB and SD Card media and auxiliary audio ports, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 5.7-inch color information screen on the center stack, Bluetooth connectivity, keyless ignition with push-button start, LED interior accent lighting and 17-inch painted aluminum wheels."

so the inputs must be in the arm rest then?

josefelipe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete7874
    But can you lower the volume with this button as quickly as with a physical knob? Or is there an easily accessible mute button?
    There's a mute button on the wheel, that also cancels voice command.

jamboarder is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Here's the thing with CUE: If you're used to going to the center stack to do things like changing the volume, muting, flipping between your favorites, etc. Stop it. Use the steering wheel controls which have, wait for it, real buttons. Try using the steering wheel controls along with the DIC display which provides a wealth of low-distraction ways to interact with the vehicle while it is in motion. That was the adjustment that I made when I realized that this is the best way of interacting with the vehicle while driving, and it makes perfect sense now.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement because there certainly is. But this incessant whining about CUE has simply gotten tiresome. Just because it exposes a ton of functionality on the touch screen doesn't mean you should spend your time and attention fiddling with it while driving and not expect to be distracted. So a patient walks into a doctor and says "Hey Doc, it hurts when I move my arm like this!". Doc says "So don't move your arm like that!".

Use the many low-distraction methods available and you'll find yourself only occasionally needing to interact with the big touch screen while driving. Yes, it does mean you'll have to adjust to a different way of interacting with the vehicle and yes you'll survive. I too am looking forward to the CUE updates that are on the way; I, like others, would welcome a bump in responsiveness and DIC (and voice) access to climate controls.

But seriously folks, I have simply been unable to find CUE deficiencies so great as to cripple my ability to do what I need to when I need to - certainly not to a degree that is terminally worse than other vehicles I've owned. Frankly, compared to many other vehicles, I think there's a lot that CUE does really well.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Wow; I see I missed quite the CUE discussion this weekend. Thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful posts and constructive feedback! Please don't hesitate to email me whenever you would like me to explore your concerns further for you (or document additional feedback!). I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Katie,

Are you able to share a complete list of bugfixes and new features that the new version of software currently being rolled out will include?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    I dont HATE the que.. but I didn't love it either. After testing a car without it I really couldn't justify spending extra on the Que system, so I just ordered my car without it.

drsketch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I love the cue system. Also like that it comes with an iPad 4 which makes justifying financially a no brainier.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by jamboarder View Post

But seriously folks, I have simply been unable to find CUE deficiencies so great as to cripple my ability to do what I need to when I need to - certainly not to a degree that is terminally worse than other vehicles I've owned. Frankly, compared to many other vehicles, I think there's a lot that CUE does really well.
    There is one task that I find ridiculously painful. And worse than on our Ford with MyFord Touch, itself a system with a horrible history. And that task is changing radio stations. NOT just using the presets. I mean scrolling through XM stations to either just browse, or to get to one a ways down the dial. Ditto for AM and FM. This is a disaster in CUE. Do people scan the radio anymore? I assume not like they used to, but still. There is no way to improve this with a software upgrade. Even the Ford at least has (poor) buttons for up and down. This is my third car with a touch screen system, and this particular function is actually terminally worse than anything else out there. My kingdom for a knob. One stinking knob. </archaicRadioFanDiatribe>

Other than that, I am pleased. (Seriously.)

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
    Katie,

Are you able to share a complete list of bugfixes and new features that the new version of software currently being rolled out will include?
    I wish I could, Pete, but that information is unfortunately outside the limits of my resources. However, I do urge any of you with CUE questions to contact the specialized Infotaiment Customer Support Group at 855-428-3669. Agents are available Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm EST; Saturday 8:00am - 4pm EST!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

lookin back in my brochure, does the non cue version still get the flip compartment?

in the brochure it says

Entertainment
    Motorized flip-up.down screen for access to hidden instrument panel storage area s s s s

theres no characters to specify *Cue only or anything

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

The reason people complain about CUE in my opinion is that they don't know how to use it (and no i don't mean the advanced features). People are used to touching hard buttons (i.e., dedicated buttons that you can actually press) in cars. Think about the motion and orientation of your finger when pushing a standard (hard) button. You line your finger up, and jab at it with your finger tip and actually press it and the button actually displaces as you push it. Now think about how you touch a soft button on your iPhone screen. Not the same motion - you touch it lightly wit the pad of your fingertip - you don't try to displace the button (i.e., you aren't trying to push your finger through the screen). Try using the aforementioned motion on you iPhone. I bet you will feel that the screen is non-responsive and doesn't work well. If you use the correct motion to select the soft buttons on CUE, you will get much better success. This also applies to all of the other buttons (heated seats, etc.) that are dedicated soft buttons. It's hard since people aren't used to it, but they will figure it out. Just pretend like you are selecting items on your iPad (and not pushing traditional buttons) and you will likely think CUE works much better . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    The reason people complain about CUE in my opinion is that they don't know how to use it (and no i don't mean the advanced features). People are used to touching hard buttons (i.e., dedicated buttons that you can actually press) in cars. Think about the motion and orientation of your finger when pushing a standard (hard) button. You line your finger up, and jab at it with your finger tip and actually press it and the button actually displaces as you push it. Now think about how you touch a soft button on your iPhone screen. Not the same motion - you touch it lightly wit the pad of your fingertip - you don't try to displace the button (i.e., you aren't trying to push your finger through the screen). .
    I haven't used CUE yet, but based on what I understood, the buttons on the screen don't show up until you bring your finger close to the screen. If that's the case, then that's a major issue right there that could cause problems if you try to operate it while driving. With physical/permanent buttons, a driver first glances briefly at the console to see where the button is, and then puts his finger there. With CUE, if you just glance at the screen, you won't see any buttons. You need to take the hand off the wheel and wave it in front of the screen. Then wait for the buttons to appear. Then see where a given button is, and then press it. This to me results in longer time when your eyes are not looking at the road and more time when you don't have both hands on the steering wheel.

Alas, as someone pointed out, you should not really be playing around with CUE while actively driving. If it is true that you can accomplish everything you need by using steering wheel controls or voice commands, then I'm fine with that. ALthough from what I've seen, the voice command is really slow to respond.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
    the buttons on the screen don't show up until you bring your finger close to the screen. If that's the case, then that's a major issue right there that could cause problems if you try to operate it while driving.
    This is indeed correct. The solution however is quite simple. As you suggest, with permanent buttons "a driver first glances briefly at the console to see where the button is, and then puts his finger there." With CUE, as you move your hand toward the screen, the buttons reappear. If you change your habit to: moving your hand toward the screen, and then glancing toward the screen when your hand is 8 inches or so away, the buttons are there and then you put your finger there. It really isn't that hard - just change the the order of operations from 1) look, 2) move hand, 3) push button to 1) begin hand movement, 2) look, 3) press button. I'm actually quite baffled as to all of the trouble with this. Additionally, I leave the audio screen as the current screen presented at almost all times. There are only a handful of buttons up there. After driving it for one day you have a pretty good idea of where the buttons are (i.e., within an inch or two of your target). Like I said, I really don't understand what is so hard about this. Maybe it's just new technology in a car that people aren't used to?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.