Why is media bombing ATS's CUE? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Why is media bombing ATS's CUE? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by ral1960 On the 3 daily drivers I've had since 1988, I used the volume knob (buttons on ...
    rustybear3 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: Why is media bombing ATS's CUE?

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    On the 3 daily drivers I've had since 1988, I used the volume knob (buttons on the Bonneville) almost exclusively...to turn the radio on and off.

Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road.
    If you want to play with your knob, stop driving first.
    That's why I almost always use the button on the steering wheel to control the radio and/ or change stations....never have to take my hands off the wheel; period. When I first start up the car or have it at a stand still to adjust climate, selectons, etc. I use the CUE itself...I think it's convenient and better looking than the knobs and sliders of old....IMO!

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by tonka9 View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with the CUE bashers to an extent.
    Nothing gets more attention from first time passengers in my car than the CUE system but when they see how un-intuitive it is, they are not so impressed.
    It looks to me like GM is using it as a way to show off what current technology is capable of rather than offering a practical user-friendly interface.
    I understand that potential purchasers will be wowed by CUE and that can lead to increased sales, but IMO from an operator's viewpoint it really falls short.
    Mine will occasionally default to air conditioning mode in the middle of a Michigan winter, it will change screens on its own as if something touched it, and the GPS street labels, or lack thereof , are ridiculous. It seems no matter what the zoom level is, street names are rarely shown especially at intersections.
    I've yet been able to successfully get it to understand voice commands and the two times I tried to have On Star send me the nav directions, they never showed up in my system.
    This.

The press is a different story but I think one reason owners are all over the map is that some grade on a curve. A hammer that's badly balanced with an uncomfortable handle is MUCH better for driving nails than a rock is. But its lacking compared to what a hammer could be. CUE is such a hammer. In a way I guess its a little like "is the glass half empty or half full". CUE is definitely half full. I almost went with a BMW because of CUE. CUE was a half full glass. The BMW may have slightly less water but it better fills a smaller glass.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

I'm a carpenter by trade and as far as hammers go most people don't know the first thing about how to use one. I'm starting to think this may also be the case with CUE.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    I'm a carpenter by trade and as far as hammers go most people don't know the first thing about how to use one. I'm starting to think this may also be the case with CUE.
    This has no bearing in my case. It doesn't mean I'm OH SO great with electronics, I'm just saying that I'm no stranger to it and it isn't my reason for bashing it.

I will admit some of my dislike is based on better implementations in other non vehicle systems, however that's not specifically the complaints that I put forward.
    For instance, Google Maps and navigation is SO much better than CUE nav in almost every way. I've honestly tried to use it unbiased, but it doesn't compare.

Voice dictation is the same way with Cue, vs Google Now/Siri (yes they use a data connection for results, however it is still vastly better at it).
    For instance try just saying, navigate to a place like Starbucks, Walmart, etc.. She will then ask for more info like a point of interest, intersection, etc..
    Then if you say point of interest, followed by the name, most times (for me) she still doesn't get what your asking. Also yes, I wait for the beep, etc...
    If I say to my phone, navigate to Walmart, Starbucks, or even an address it (more often than not) it just does so, with no real follow up.

There are also things available on lesser vehicles from GM that we don't have in Cue (remember Cadillac is the upper brand here) like the Stitcher app for example.

Let's also not forget that this system as an option is expensive! Something in the realm of $2k or so, and compare that to an iPad, phone, tablet, etc and you'd expect better.
    An 800x480 screen isn't exactly revolutionary at this point, and the SDXC standard put out in 2009 isn't even officially supported.
    More?..Okay.. The screen is a fingerprint magnet, and so are all the touch surfaces that you have to touch.
    Absolutely no option for a folder list with music playback, it has to index your music, and that can take a LONG time if you have a lot of music.
    Hard drives also aren't officially supported, and larger iPods I've been told can be very glitchy and also take a long time to index (I don't have an Apple product, but there are numerous complaints in the appropriate threads).
    No support for MTP based communication for all newer android phones that have ditched traditional USB drive mounting.
    Touch sensitivity towards the bottom of the screen is bad, and leads to touching the bottom button, as opposed to the slider that your trying to scroll down with (the radio button I believe is the one that gets hit accidentally).
    Pull up favorites from the bottom of the screen isn't fluent at all, and is very clunky requiring you to pay complete attention while doing so.
    Remember the marketing of Cue reading your text messages to you while driving?.. Absent, and uncertain when/if it will be coming. I'm told BMW and Ford have this implementation currently functioning.
    I even once lost most of the info pages on my driver information cluster until the next time I restarted and they all magically came back.

Does it have potential; yes!
    Am I confident that while driving it will work seamlessly and not glitch or do something odd; no.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yeah, if you want people to read this thread, use paragraphs...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Yeah, if you want people to read this thread, use paragraphs...
    I only read the first paragraph, any more than that I need someone to read it to me.

bdwalters is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Here are some of my thoughts on CUE:

1. I think it's fairly intuitive, but I'm an engineer and have used a lot of gadgets in my day. I never had to spend more than a minute or so to figure out how to do anything. I thought it was better than iDrive in general.
    2. I didn't notice a ton of bugs in the system, but I didn't really push it that hard. I did get it to stream music from multiple phones and from an iPod with a cable. I also was able to take and make phone calls. It does sometimes ignore commands, requiring another press. I am quite confident that most of the big bugs will be worked out in a release in the next few months, so the bugs don't bother me.
    3. I do think the touch controls below the touchscreen are a little gimmicy. I don't mind them, but I would prefer buttons.
    4. The voice commands are slow. Really slow. I don't see myself using them at that rate.
    5. I think most of the reviewers were too hard on the system. You have to keep in mind that most of them probably don't get that long to play with it.
    6. I agree that people shouldn't be playing with the CUE much during driving. Set things up before you get going (or at stop lights) and then concentrate on your driving. Even adjusting the radio station in an older car is distracting while driving. Calling this system dangerous is just stupid.
    7. I'm not impressed with the CUE NAV, which seems to move really slowly. I would never buy NAV anyway, so this doesn't bother me.
    8. In general I think CUE is a pretty good system and it will keep getting better. I certainly wouldn't let some of the bugs keep you from buying a magnificent car.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

I don't agree that the navigation is slow. I have used it a lot and I have used the voice commands with it. I haven't found any negatives with the nav and it's much better than the nav I had in my Audi.

AdamVIP is offline Cadillac Owners Member

CUE isnt bad overall. The problem, in my opinion, is how CUE was presented to the public.

As a touchsreen system it functions well, looks good, and really isnt that complecated. After an hour or so setup theres really nothing you need to ever touch on the screen anyways except for source switching and certain presets like navigation points and pandora stations that are skippped with the steering controls.

The problems come anytime you want to try the "new" features such as swiping and pinching. Any of these actions produce noticable lag with the system. Pinch to zoom lags so much its practically useless because you never get the zoom level you desire. Swiping becomes a frustrating affair because it doesnt always take. I still havent found how to swipe nav to the IP screen. Normally youd be like well i dont have to pinch to zoom or swipe because there are touch points or buttons for that, but Cadillac in their infinite PR buzziness said look at our cool new features so the press tried them out and they kinda suck.

As a side note I think its sort of sad that tactile actions are on the decline. Theres a satisfaction with pressing a button and getting that thunk as it bottoms out. As cars get more and more tech at lower and lower trim levels I think providing a good tactile environment will be critical for luxury marks to differentiate from the lower product lines.

Off topic, why is cadillac still using an upright pivoting gear selector. All these transmissions are electronic now. How about give us a new way that takes up less space. Now is a great time to come up with a new method thats uniquely Cadillac.

How about a push button gear selector like my grandpa had on his 1950 something Plymouth. There are things that will never needs changing like steering wheels, brake pedals and round tires.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    You have got to have a gear selector, just feels very natural, and in my case it still makes it "feel" like I'm driving a manual. On my current car I always drive exclusively in manual mode and go between gear selector and paddles for shifting.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I dont HATE the que.. but I didn't love it either. After testing a car without it I really couldn't justify spending extra on the Que system, so I just ordered my car without it.

Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

So, if you get one without CUE, how do you adjust climate control, radio, etc?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
    So, if you get one without CUE, how do you adjust climate control, radio, etc?
    I saw one (only standard trim can be ordered without CUE) and instead of the large touch screen you have a smaller non-touch screen for displaying (limited) information. And you have additional buttons to handle the climate and audio functions CUE does. I'm not positive because I only sat in that car to see the caramel trim but I think it may have physical buttons for everything although in a similar style as the touch controls below the CUE screen.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

only thing I'm not sure of is if that center stack still flips up for ipod/SD card hookup

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.