Premiuem Gas Recomended
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Premiuem Gas Recomended in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Ok so I've had my 2.0 for almost a month now, I've only had to fill up twice. Since it ...
    ATurboS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Premiuem Gas Recomended

Ok so I've had my 2.0 for almost a month now, I've only had to fill up twice. Since it says Premium Gas recommended that's what I've been filling it up with. When I bought the car my dealer told me that Regular has is all it required. Since I live in CA and gas prices are sky rocketing yet again I'm thinking of filling up with regular. So I guess my question is how big of a difference is the cars performance if I use regular gas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance

Re: Premiuem Gas Recomended

I've read it results in a loss of 20 hp....haven't found torque info yet, but must be about the same. Knock sensors take care of it, but not good long term.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

the computer will retard the timing on regular gas and there is a mild HP loss.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Here is my perspective on this....

You bought a premium performance vehicle. If the manual stated regular fuel, then I would say that is what you use.

If the manual says Premium. Run Premium.

You paid a "premium" because of the kind of car it is. Why would you cut corners on the fuel it needs?

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

Unlike cars like my current CTS-V where Premium is required, in the ATS turbo Premium is only "recommended". It will not make quite as much power, and might even take a very small hit in mileage, but it is considered to be perfectly safe by GM. I read an article about the use of the different grades in such vehicles. It stated that there was very little benefit to Premium during the winter, if it's usually cold, as knock is rarely an issue under such conditions. Conversely, Premium is strongly recommended in the hot summers, and I think altitude as well (due to increased use of boost). Premium probably won't be of much benefit on a long highway trip on cruise, either, unless it's really hilly. Midgrade, if available, splits the difference.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Why guess? Use premium.

Rozay619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Honda Accord / bye bye ATS LEMON

I bought my ATS on 12/29/12, i have only filled up with premium once, did reallly notice anything different. Lets be honest, 20HP during daily driving isn't going to be noticable, IMO.... I too live in CA, 87 octane was $4.13 this morning, unless your going to the track and need the extra performance don't waste the money!!!

CTS2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t

If you run Regular you are probably hurting your gas mileage. When an engine retards the timing it is running less efficiently. The difference in costs is around 5%. If it affects your mileage by 1 MPG you just negated your savings and are missing out on the additional performance when you want it.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

I noticed a decrease in fuel economy when I tried 89. Can't say the car felt much different, but it was mostly daily driving at that point. It was the only time I had seen an average MPG of 17 over a round trip from work to home. I usually get 19 or 20 with this same route with higher octane. In the east we get 93, which is probably overkill, but there are Sunoco stations (and Valero too) that offer 91 (as well as 93) and it's priced between 89 and 93. I seek those out and use 91 since I'm pretty sure that's what GM meant by "premium fuel" anyway given that California can't get above 91. It's a big racket in the west, since they pay 93 octane prices for 91 octane, and the east pays somewhere between 89 and 93 for 91 octane.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozay619 View Post
    I bought my ATS on 12/29/12, i have only filled up with premium once, did reallly notice anything different. Lets be honest, 20HP during daily driving isn't going to be noticable, IMO.... I too live in CA, 87 octane was $4.13 this morning, unless your going to the track and need the extra performance don't waste the money!!!
    Great, then! Enjoy your 2.5!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    haha, the 2.0T is miles ahead of the 2.5. I had a 2.5 rental for 5 or 6 days while the dealer fixed my IPC and turbo issue and the two engines aren't even in the same league!!! Does anyone know if the EPA estimates on MPG was done on premium or regular gas???

tfunk02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Rozay619 View Post
    haha, the 2.0T is miles ahead of the 2.5. I had a 2.5 rental for 5 or 6 days while the dealer fixed my IPC and turbo issue and the two engines aren't even in the same league!!! Does anyone know if the EPA estimates on MPG was done on premium or regular gas???
    They use premium gas (since it's recommended by Caddy) that doesn't have an ethanol blend. If you are like me, that's impossible to find. I'll never be able to get near the EPA MPGs. From the EPA... "The EPA fuel economy tests use 100 percent gasoline, and no adjustments are made to account for ethanol. Most conventional vehicles using E10 (10 percent ethanol) will experience a 3 to 4 percent reduction in fuel economy."

Quote Originally Posted by tfunk02 View Post
    They use premium gas (since it's recommended by Caddy) that doesn't have an ethanol blend. If you are like me, that's impossible to find. I'll never be able to get near the EPA MPGs. From the EPA... "The EPA fuel economy tests use 100 percent gasoline, and no adjustments are made to account for ethanol. Most conventional vehicles using E10 (10 percent ethanol) will experience a 3 to 4 percent reduction in fuel economy."
    Thanks for the info! So would i be correct in saying the higher the Ethanol Level in the Gasoline the worst the MPG??? Doesn't 91 or 93 octane at least for California drivers contain at least 10% ethanol if not more?? Sorry if the questions sound stupid, i'm uninformed when it comes to gasoline vs. ethanol!!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho

Well put. If the extra horsepower isn't worth putting premium fuel, then just save your money and buy the base engine, or buy the 3.6L since that only calls for regular.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.