Turbo making odd sound?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Turbo making odd sound? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have a 2.0T RWD with 2000 mi on it. Noticed yesterday that there is an odd sound coming from ...
    WannaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Turbo making odd sound?

I have a 2.0T RWD with 2000 mi on it. Noticed yesterday that there is an odd sound coming from the front end. At first I thought it was belt noise, but after hearing it more I think it is coming from the turbo unit. It sounds like a screeching/squealing sound. It happens if you are driving and put slight pressure on the gas pedal. I can also get it to do it if I put the brake on and push on the gas pedal. It almost sounds like when my bathroom exhaust fan cage needed replaced if anyone has ever heard that noise........ the car is running fine other than seeming to have a low idle and stumbling sometimes at idle. Guess I will take it in next week and see whats up. Just wondered if anybody had any ideas or had experienced this yet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

turbo2.0 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Re: Turbo making odd sound?

Have you had your turbo recall done? Pretty much all 2.0Ts were recalled to have the bolts from the turbo to the housing tightened due to being very loose. Give that a shot and see what happens.

I guess I haven't had the recall done - I didn't know there was one???? Thanks for the info...... I will post what I find out next week.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Mine would set off a check engine light...turns out the blades on the Turbo were slightly off and would rub and occasionally freeze up on the housing....they replaced the entire Turbo....problem solved....perhaps your noise is related?

Thats what it sounds like -- like maybe the blades are rubbing..... but so far no engine lights - just this sound like nails on a chalkboard.......

mrstecks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2.0 View Post
    Have you had your turbo recall done? Pretty much all 2.0Ts were recalled to have the bolts from the turbo to the housing tightened due to being very loose. Give that a shot and see what happens.
    Hmmm... I have a turbo, but haven't heard about any recall. I've done some searching and can't find anything about a recall.
    Was it just a specific dealer, or national?

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I would also like to know if there is a real recall/warranty problem with the turbo.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

WannaV, I hope you'll keep us posted on your dealer's diagnosis when you have the chance to take it in for service. In the meantime, please feel free to email me anytime and I can check for any recalls that may be open on your specific vehicle. I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and sending me the last eight of your VIN would allow me to investigate for you.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

F111A is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

It makes sense that the entire turbo assembly was replaced. Once a rub occurs on the turbine scroll, clearances open up an efficiency (performance) losses start to occur. Certainly sounds like there might have been an incipient bearing failure on the turbine scroll shaft.

If not a bearing failure and a tolerance stack analysis was performed correctly, then it should have been discovered either in the component inspection or during the functional testing of the turbo.

Took car in to dealership and had recall performed - noise is gone. Service manager said bolts on mine were loose and the noise was air being sucked in the loose seal between turbo and exhaust manifold.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.