Some people need to get to the drag strip!
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Some people need to get to the drag strip! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I've read every review of an ATS that's been posted online. I'm very interested in real world acceleration though, what ...
    shudog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Some people need to get to the drag strip!

I've read every review of an ATS that's been posted online. I'm very interested in real world acceleration though, what people are able to run with these cars, especially any gains from tuning. I think we'd all agree that dyno gains are totally different from real world gains in driving, on the street or at the strip.

Of course the ATS is not meant to be a track car, but there's not much else out there to compare what a car can do in terms of acceleration.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Re: Some people need to get to the drag strip!

The ATS could be a track car if that track had left and right turns in it. I think it would handle itself pretty well.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Some people need to get to the drag strip!

What I'm looking for is verified 0-30,0-60 times before and after tunes; that sort of thing. I agree dyno numbers say little about real world results and I'm not a drag racer, so 1/4 mile times aren't much use to me either.

For example, I happen to have a Performance Package Mustang in the stable. 305 HP (~315 with 93 octane but the 305 already freaks out the 5.0 set since that's already more HP/CID than the mighty 5.0 had at the time). The Mustang's not much more than 100 lbs heavier than the ATS turbo, so the dyno says the Mustang has better HP/weight, but the Turbo 2.0 has so much torque at low revs, its clearly quicker part of the rev range and confirmed by my test drives. I have no idea which would win a 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile drag race but the 2.0 turbo doesn't have as much time out of the sweet spot on the way there and that's more pronounced on the street (i.e. you're more likely to need to down shift in the Mustang to achieve a target acceleration).

Gs make me smile, so forward acceleration is the least exhilarating. Even an econobox will generate more Gs stopping or turning than even 500+ HP cars do accelerating (at least after the 1st second or so). Its the plus 1G turning and stopping Gs of cars like these (Mustang PP and ATS) that make me grin. Before anyone says these won't top 1G cornering, most test figures are skid pad based with a set radius. Most cars are good for several tenths higher cornering Gs on a track at various slip angles, speeds, radii etc..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.