anyone has complaints on steering wheel? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, anyone has complaints on steering wheel? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I drive for a living. 70,000 miles a year in my Town Car. Add about 15,000 miles in the V. ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I drive for a living. 70,000 miles a year in my Town Car. Add about 15,000 miles in the V.

I don't keep two hands on the wheel. If I'm on the road course I do because you are always turning and need maximum control at all times.

However, on the street, my safety is dependent on my eyes and keeping alert on the road. If I'm in a sensitive position, like merging on a highway or entering a dangerous intersection, I'll get two hands up.

But, comfort is important to long term alertness. I typically steer with my left hand and rest my right arm on the armrest, usually with my hand resting a few inches from the wheel for a quick reattach.

To me, a proper center armrest is most important for proper steering...

drsketch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Re: anyone has complaints on steering wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
    The way you are supposed to drive and hold the steering wheel with both hands and all fingers gripping the steering wheel evenly at the 10 and 2 position on the steering wheel. That is what I do and I have no concerns with comfort or steering effort. Did the same with my BMWs and no issues. The BMWs I have had were slightly thicker steering wheels, but that took some adjustment to at the time. Now I am used to the ATS steering wheel and I am fine with it.

Driving with two fingers is not good from a safety perspective. You need to be able to react quickly and two hands on the steering wheel allows that versus just two fingers, which I assume means one hand on the steering wheel.
    Your info is outdated and will likely result in broken arms when you crash.

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

Quote Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
    Your info is outdated and will likely result in broken arms when you crash.
    To conclude two broken arms is quite the exaggeration there buddy. If you have your elbows properly bent and to the side, the airbag has just as much clearance as 9-3. Plus the ATS steering wheel does not lend itself that comfortable at 9-3. Why do the car manufacturers put the thumb rests at 10-2, if they are not supposed to be used? Just for looks?

Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

Quote Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
    Why do the car manufacturers put the thumb rests at 10-2, if they are not supposed to be used? Just for looks?
    Thumb hangers are slightly above 9-3 on most wheels. That's where your thumbs can hang (rest) when you put your palms at 9-3.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...rs-ed-10526546

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_steering

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

and here I thought a steering wheel was just a steering wheel....hardly wait for the gas and brake pedal thread...lol

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

lol, the steering wheel felt fine on the car I had for a weekend.. wanna see bad? my cobalts steering wheel bobs like a buoy in rough water when you turn it haha!

*and yes I know comparing Cobalts to cadillacs is like burgers to Steak.. but still lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.