Be Careful With Your Key Fob!
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Be Careful With Your Key Fob! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I've had a real problem with my key fob since I bought my ATS. I carry it with my other ...
    JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Be Careful With Your Key Fob!

I've had a real problem with my key fob since I bought my ATS. I carry it with my other keys on a key ring just like every other fob I ever had. I have my house keys my truck keys and other misc. keys on the same ring along with my ATS key fob. My problem is the ATS fob seperates all the time! I'll pull my keys out of my pocket and half the fob stays in my pocket and all I have in my hand is the upper part with the key. I have had the fob come apart when taking out my keys to drive my truck and the important part falls to the ground. Today I was driving home from my sons house and realized that the lower part of the fob was missing from my key chain. After a few hours of looking everywhere and calling my son to look around his house I found the fob in my truck. It had fallen off my key ring when I was loading up some tools before coming home. I love my ATS but the fob is a lousy design destined to leave people stranded holding the wrong part of the fob. I have had fobs from other manufacturers and never experienced anything like this before. My Audi had a button to seperate the key just like the ATS but you could never do it by accident because the button was recessed not sticking out like the ATS. Has anybody else experienced this? I think I'm going to glue my fob together so it can't come apart anymore because it comes apart way too easily and I know I will lose it for sure if I don't.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Re: Be Careful With Your Key Fob!

Mine is in a leather case which I love, so I haven't had a problem.

RxATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L premium

I haven't had any problems with my key but my wife has had the same problem with her copy of the key fob as you described. She is currently using tape (lol) to hold the two pieces together - her solution, not mine. It kind of makes the key look like a POS IMO but she doesn't seem to notice. I too am thinking I will just use glue to hold the two parts together so that it looks a bit more respectable. I don't really foresee a time when we would actually need to use the old fashioned key blade anyways. AtlantaGuy00-What brand of leather case are you using?

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

If the battery in the fob is dead, you need to use the key. On my CTS I could tell when it was starting to go, because the range went way down, so you get a bit of warning. But it seems risky to glue it. Could glue could get in the way of how you open the case to replace the battery?

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

I have not had this issue yet. But with the fob and keys in my jacket, I have had the trunk release button accidentaly be pushed and found my trunk open. Just casual movement inside my pocket some how triggered the trunk release. Even happened while in my office and a buddy said why is your trunk open. I thought those keywraps (advertised on right side here) were silly, but I might investigate the one with the flap. Might protect the littles buttons and emergency key release.

lurshy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX, 2013 ATS 2.0T Lux

I've had this issue with my SRX FOB which seems to be identical to my ATS FOB

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

I bought the Key Wrap from the place that advertises on here. First, I bought one off of ebay for 1/2 the price but it was a POS so money wasted. So I ordered from the advertiser and really like it. You have to lift up the flap to use the buttons (the one I ordered) but since it's "keyless" I don't have to do that much and the fob is encased in a holder that looks nice. Don't mean to plug an advertiser, and I have no relationship with the seller but since someone asked...

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

You would need the key wrap with the flap to keep it from seperating. The problem I see is with the flap you can't hook the fob to your key ring.

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    You would need the key wrap with the flap to keep it from seperating. The problem I see is with the flap you can't hook the fob to your key ring.
    Upon further inspection I noticed the same thing. You would have to keep the fob and your normal keys separately. Not an ideal situation.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Could someone post an image related to this issue?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

JSATS, I can definitely understand your perspective on this and I'm sorry the key fob design has been aggravating you. I'm documenting this thread URL so the proper GM teams can view the issue, and I'm just an email away at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to document additional feedback on the key fob subject!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Wideband is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    JSATS, I can definitely understand your perspective on this and I'm sorry the key fob design has been aggravating you. I'm documenting this thread URL so the proper GM teams can view the issue, and I'm just an email away at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to document additional feedback on the key fob subject!

Katie
    Katie, It is a pleasure to see that Cadillac (you and the rest of the staff) are taking the time and effort to use this forum to assist, and to use the comments to guide the engineers to make the automobiles better. I don't have a Cadillac yet, but I am looking at trading in my Lincoln MKZ this spring or summer. But I may just wait for the 2014 ATS.

Thanks for being there for your help and knowledge.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thanks for your comment, Wideband! Don't hesitate to email me when you're car shopping in the future, and I would be happy to investigate any vehicle questions you have along the way.

Best,

Katie

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

I've had the same issue 3 times so far. When you get out of the car and it honks at you, you then know that your fob is probably on the floor of the car.. =)
    Anyhow I think it's a bad design also, and I just keep clipping it back together but have little confidence in it not happening again.

The button sticking up does not make sense. My BMW had the same feature, but the button was flush or slightly recessed so it takes a very deliberate effort and won't open accidentally.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.