Be Careful With Your Key Fob! - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Be Careful With Your Key Fob! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Cisitalia The button sticking up does not make sense. My BMW had the same feature, but the ...
    JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Re: Be Careful With Your Key Fob!

Quote Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
    The button sticking up does not make sense. My BMW had the same feature, but the button was flush or slightly recessed so it takes a very deliberate effort and won't open accidentally.
    This is the problem with the ATS fob. I think whoever designed it wasn't thinking very well. A recessed button would solve this issue. Cadillac needs to rethink these fobs and copy the German makers like Audi and BMW because they don't have this problem.

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

I thought of a solution. Go to the owners manual and read the instructions on how to replace the battery. Follow the procedure to open up the fob. Then take a file and file down the button to be flush with the surface of the fob. Put back together and your finger nail or another object can easily be pressed into the slot to release the key. Just be careful not to file to much of the button, so it will still function properly.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
    I thought of a solution. Go to the owners manual and read the instructions on how to replace the battery. Follow the procedure to open up the fob. Then take a file and file down the button to be flush with the surface of the fob. Put back together and your finger nail or another object can easily be pressed into the slot to release the key. Just be careful not to file to much of the button, so it will still function properly.
    Done and done!..
    I didn't look at the manual, but there is a noticeable amount of flex to the fob casing once you remove the key from it. If you just wedge in between the 2 halves it comes right apart.
    The plastic button slips right out and has one small spring behind it.
    I filed the plastic button down a bit and tested, and then filed a bit more and I feel that it's perfect now.
    The button is now nearly flush and I can still remove the key by squeezing the fob, as the button goes down a bit when compressing the fob because of the flex between the 2 pieces.

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

Glad it worked out for you. To bad we have to resort to this DIY modification, but it was easy enough. Take care.

Sir CussFreq is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Raven Black ATS

I haven't had any issues with mine, but be careful gluing the key together - if you ever want to lock your glovebox (valet etc), you'll need the hard key that's kept inside the fob. I think it's used in one or two other spots, as well.

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by Sir CussFreq View Post
    I haven't had any issues with mine, but be careful gluing the key together - if you ever want to lock your glovebox (valet etc), you'll need the hard key that's kept inside the fob. I think it's used in one or two other spots, as well.
    Sorry for getting off topic but I have a question about valet. Is the intention that we are supposed to lock the glove box and give the valet only the black part of the FOB, and then we keep the hard key? Otherwise, locking the glove box doesn't do much if we're giving them the key (albeit hidden), right? I was just kind of surprised when I went to do this the first time.

Another interesting thing to note: When you are in valet mode the trunk will not open. You have to get in the car and put in the unlock code before you can open it. Just something to keep in mind.

Sir CussFreq is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Raven Black ATS

Right. You keep the hard key on your keychain and give the valet your fob (they can't drive the car without this). At the same time, you can lock the glove box, etc and put CUE into valet mode to ensure the valets can't access anything you want to keep protected.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    Sorry for getting off topic but I have a question about valet. Is the intention that we are supposed to lock the glove box and give the valet only the black part of the FOB, and then we keep the hard key? Otherwise, locking the glove box doesn't do much if we're giving them the key (albeit hidden), right? I was just kind of surprised when I went to do this the first time.

Another interesting thing to note: When you are in valet mode the trunk will not open. You have to get in the car and put in the unlock code before you can open it. Just something to keep in mind.

I don't like the idea of shaving down the push button, but I can see it as an easy DIY. Like others, I had the key separate from the holder numerous times as well.

Personally, I fell for the KeyWraps' solution (advertiser at right side), and it works for me - I have the one with the flap cover - it also prevents pushing of the buttons in your pocket (setting of the alarm, popping the trunk, etc).

As to the valet mode, it is silly. The center console does not lock (it could have, similar to the trunk locking), but the cubby behind the CUE system does in Valet mode. The glove box uses a 'normal' key - which you would typically hand over inside your keyfob, and the trunk locks when the CUE enters Valet mode, but your seats can be flipped forward manually if they are so equipped. I guess taking out the key when necessary is a standard precaution.

Otherwise, the cubby behind the CUE system becomes the only more-or-less secure place, lol. I'd expect more from the engineers by now. Even the old STS had a separate Valet key which could not unlock the trunk or glove box.

Also, kind of a nuisance. If you enter Valet mode on the CUE, you cannot get out of Valet mode until you come to a full stop. Furthermore, you have to stay out of Valet mode until you park, open your trunk, then go in and enter Valet mode. Not very efficient. I now have to first pop the trunk, then enter Valet mode, then get out of the car. This was easier in the older cars, imho, as you could always open the trunk manually (with the key).

BTW - I took the manual out of the glove box and put it in the trunk - the glove box is so small (with the CD player inside).

myronf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 turbo black/black

Same problem for me. One of these days I am going to lose everything but the key. Crappy design. For as long as I have carried a fob, I have never had this problem.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Does anyone eith a 2014 have this problem? I never have encountered it. I don't know if the design has changed, or I have just been lucky. I do have a big purse with lots of space...

Trailblazer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS AWD 2.0T Premium

I have 2104 and I have not seen this problem. That said, I have dropped the key fob a couple of times, so I just ordered 2 key wraps with flaps.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I agree with Op, the fob does fall apart very easily, I've had it a few times where the silver portion disconnected with the rest of the casing for no reason

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

I dont have that problem

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    I dont have that problem

Such a simple solution without the hand wringing....do you have a link where these can be gotten? Thanks for coming up with a solution rather than ranting.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    Such a simple solution without the hand wringing....do you have a link where these can be gotten? Thanks for coming up with a solution rather than ranting.
    Actually Both Cadillac dealers that I got my CTS and then ATS from had them at the merchandise counter.
    But mine were given to me when I bought my CTS the sales women said pick 2 in what ever colors I wanted

To give you a starting point if you have to buy online these are it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-CTS...item6b24053759

These are cool I might get these soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Rem...-/281019780432

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.