Fuel mileage - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Fuel mileage in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I read what consumer reports wrote and I don't agree My Audi A4 had the 2.0 turbo in it and ...
    JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Re: Fuel mileage

I read what consumer reports wrote and I don't agree My Audi A4 had the 2.0 turbo in it and while it was rated at 30mpg highway I regularly saw 31-33 mpg highway. I'm still hoping that I will see that this Summer because Winter mpg is never impressive.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I don't trust you guys. If I had one, I'd go on a scientific expedition(aka road trip!) to get actual numbers, not guesses. I want multiple tank fill-ups with consistent filling procedures and well noted mileage with proper math to come to a PROVEN number.

For all I know, you're all a bunch of math failures who get by on good looks and/or smooth talking...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

NJ ATS AWD 2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS AWD 2.0T premium

I purchased my ATS AWD 2.0T premium back in November 2013, the majority of my driving are on highways. I'm only averaging 22-24 mpg. I'm very disappointed. I had the car in the service shop twice for poor gas mileage performance. Since the car wasn't throwing any error codes, no issues could be identified. I notice the AWD doesn't 'coast" as well as the regular FWD 2.0T. Does anyone else with a AWD 2.0T have this problem? This is my second caddy, I had a 03 CTS and NEVER had any problems! This ATS is a disappointment! Does anyone notice a difference in using premium gas?

bdwalters is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

I have gotten 28-29mpg on the highway on a couple of trips in fairly cold weather. In warm weather, I'm sure I would get over 30. Even with a fairly light foot, however, my mixed commute is only yielding a little over 20mpg. When the turbo is spooled up, the instantaneous mileage is appalling. I'm kind of thinking I should have gotten the V6. It's smoother, better sounding, faster, more linear, and the mileage might be about the same at this rate.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Quote Originally Posted by NJ ATS AWD 2.0T View Post
    I purchased my ATS AWD 2.0T premium back in November 2013, the majority of my driving are on highways. I'm only averaging 22-24 mpg. I'm very disappointed. I had the car in the service shop twice for poor gas mileage performance. Since the car wasn't throwing any error codes, no issues could be identified. I notice the AWD doesn't 'coast" as well as the regular FWD 2.0T. Does anyone else with a AWD 2.0T have this problem? This is my second caddy, I had a 03 CTS and NEVER had any problems! This ATS is a disappointment! Does anyone notice a difference in using premium gas?
    You are using less timing running premium gas which may kill 1 - 2 mpg. See the last post in the thread:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ance-2-0t.html

ats4life is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Getting less than that because I like to floor it and feel the torque

Hot Rod Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Manual STD

I get 24 on my mixed highway/city commute. If I was easier on the throttle, there is room for 1 or 2 more mpg. Steady 75 on the highway worked out to 29mpg over 1000 miles!

Driving style is a big factor. The 2.0 has the ability to burn loads of fuel. That's called power. Stay out of boost (Wish there was a gauge) and coast to stops, will give way better mileage. The instant MPG gauge will read 99mpg while coasting! Of course it's too much fun when you hammer it to always drive like a grandpa!

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Driving in the winter also yields poorer results for obvious reasons. This year especially with our sub zero and below normal temperatures. I usually go with the 89 octane (between the 87 and 93) for winter driving and average around 23 to 24 mpg mixed driving. My lowest is around 20-21. Much better results in spring, summer, fall....around 28 mpg.

HandletheTruth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Some interesting turbo engine related design information from Ward’s Auto regarding fuel economy on turbo engines. The current ATS LTG 2.0 L Turbo does NOT yet incorporate this feature, but I do not believe it would cost more to manufacturing, leaving just the cost of the engineering and test. Would not be surprised to see this improvement for MY15, but one can only hope.

The newest VW 2.0 L Turbo engine has the exhaust manifold integrated into the head casting with liquid cooling passages extending into the exhaust manifold. “With optimized cooling there is no need to enrich fuel mixtures at higher speeds, thus allowing the car to realize real world fuel economy much closer to the EPA estimates.”

Believe this is one of the primary reasons that Turbo engines get significantly reduced fuel economy when the driver uses the throttle aggressively. The other primary reason is a lower compression ratio to reduce engine knocking / detonation at high boost levels.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

Would you want to cool the exhaust manifold in a turbo car? Wouldn't that take away from the turbo's spooling and put a large unnecessary extra thermal load on the cooling system? Also, in closed loop operation, the mixture should not go rich at high speed. High load (open loop), yes. Any cars have a factory wide band O2 to stay closed loop?

I also thought the our 2.0T started with a fairly high compression ratio (for a turbo).

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

It's 9.5:1. There are 10:1 turbo motors out there. It's a little easier on larger displacement turbo motors where 12 - 14 psi boost makes good power.

Mazda is running 13:1 on their sky active non-turbo motors.

HandletheTruth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rod Joe View Post
    Would you want to cool the exhaust manifold in a turbo car? Wouldn't that take away from the turbo's spooling and put a large unnecessary extra thermal load on the cooling system? Also, in closed loop operation, the mixture should not go rich at high speed. High load (open loop), yes. Any cars have a factory wide band O2 to stay closed loop?

I also thought the our 2.0T started with a fairly high compression ratio (for a turbo).
    To limit the peak temp of the Turbocharger, which is currently specified to withstand 980 °C (1,800 °F) turbine temperatures. Yes, this peak temp does have some effect on how fast the turbo will spool up but increasing the temp tolerance could be quite expensive. VW, Ford and others are employing this design feature without having to dramatically up size the cooling system - this implementation is primarily trying to limit peak turbo temps without resorting to a rich fuel mixture. Without having to cool the Turbo the system closed loop mixture control would operate in closed loop mode more of the time. Not sure that it could operate in closed loop mode during high load / Wide Open Throttle conditions. Not sure about companies using a wide band O2 sensors; believe Honda developed one for its Formula 1 engines in the 1990s.

All the turbo motors (that I am aware of) that have more than 9.5 compression also require high octane gasoline (e.g., BMW, the new Cadillac CTS LF3 twin turbo V-6, etc.). I suspect that careful tuning and an exhaust system that very efficiently extracts the hot exhaust gasses would allow for a 10.0 compression ratio with regular octane gas. Higher compression ratios are critical for better fuel economy, responsiveness and power - so it is worth the investment (if Cadillac wants to be the standard of the world).

My SRT4 has a low (8.1:1) compression and manages better fuel economy with a larger engine and less gears than the ATS. I know weight is a factor but we are talking 10+ year old technology.

How about cooling the turbo housing with engine coolant? Short exhaust manifold sandwiched by two water cooled components?

The idea of increasing efficiency at higher rpm and load is fine but staying out of boost (closed loop) and keeping the revs low also works. It might take more driver restraint than is practical. A boost gauge would help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.