Window Shopping
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Window Shopping in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi all, New to the forums and was hoping to get some insights from the members. I currently have an ...
    yatman60 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Window Shopping

Hi all,

New to the forums and was hoping to get some insights from the members. I currently have an 05 300C Chrysler and it's getting up there in mileage and I decided that I wanted to go a little smaller in my next new car and the ATS has caught my attention.

There are 2 things that have me a bit concerned/confused about the ATS V6: 1) With as much power as the 335i, how the hell is it so much slower in straight line performance? 2) Given the almost exact physical dimensions of the 3 series, how is there so much less space in the back seat and the trunk?

Has anyone actually done some physical comparison shopping and ended up buying the ATS regardless and what was the deciding factors if so?

Thanks for any insights forthcoming as I'm looking to make a new purchase this year probably (Hoping the ATS-V is announced and might shoot for that).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CaddyFanFL is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Window Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by yatman60 View Post
    1) With as much power as the 335i, how the hell is it so much slower in straight line performance?
    One (of not the main) reason for that is that BMW uses an 8-speed tranny. The 6-speed on the ATS simply cannot hold up against that.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    If those are your concerns and points of comparison, just buy the BMW, you're probably their type anyway.

Doodah is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Performance
    Ok first let me tell you I worked for BMW for 7 years and have driven nothing but BMW and Mercedes the last 13 years. Yes I just bought an ATS 3.6 Perf. Traded my 08 loaded 335.

Ok so first off let me tell you that the lease rates, payments, residuals etc came out better on a new ATS. My ATS was $46k with a lower payment than on a $44k BMW 328. Go figure. So this is what intrigued me. So honestly if I purchased this car straight out would I pay the extra $4k for a similar equipped BMW 335? Maybe.

Ok so then I start reading all the reviews about the ATS and how it handles better than the bimmer. Well I had to see. And by damn it does. This car handles incredibly well and just feels good. The transmission is what keeps it from running with the 335 in a straight line. But the car handles so well that figure 8 times are almost identical.

I liked the fact Caddilac removed the side chrome inserts. And who cares about the back seat or trunk. How often will you have 3-4 people in your car? How often do you need to use 100% of your trunk space?

This car is fresh, fun to drive and unique. And this is random but I love the non staggered tires. Finally a sports sedan tires you can rotate!!!

And damn the front end LED's in my opinion look better than anything on the road.

That's just my two cents.

kimobu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium

I test drove a 2.0T ATS and a 328xi and didn't see a real difference. Trunk space is smaller, but I'm a single 20 something and don't need it (but having the comfort access of the BMW would be cool).

The two deciding factors for me:
    The ATS is American made. Support our workers!
    The BMW sales agent talked way too much. Like 2 hours worth of talking. I can read the Wikipedia page for all this info dude, just let me drive the car.
    yatman60 and yatman60 like this.

The ATS has comfort access. Only difference is on the ATS you push a button on the door handle and pull vs on the BMW you just grab the door handle and pull.

I hope this isn't a deciding factor for anyone.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    The 335i is much more powerful than the 3.6 ATS. It has been vastly underrated by BMW. It also has a broader torque curve than the 3.6 and the transmission adds to that.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    The 335i is much more powerful than the 3.6 ATS. It has been vastly underrated by BMW. It also has a broader torque curve than the 3.6 and the transmission adds to that.
    However, in a figure eight the cars are identical. This gives the edge to the caddy. The transmission is a much easier fix vs. handling. Anyone can drop more horsepower. Caddy broke the BMW handling code. Game on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    If those are your concerns and points of comparison, just buy the BMW, you're probably their type anyway.
    Because I asked a few questions I'm a bimmer guy? I think the inside of the 5's and 3's just feel cheap to me; not to say previous generations of Caddy's didn't.

I think the CTS is a better car than the 5 series and if Caddy came out with a serious 7-series competitor (based on a new platform and not some hack job) it'd probably be better too just based on the direction Caddy seems to be going in.

I WAS initially looking at the CTS and still might even wait for the newer model but I am also curious to see if an ATS-V get announced and becomes available as that may pretty much make my decision for me. I'm only looking at the moment but I'm anticipating doing something soon as my 300c is reaching 130k miles and it's starting to show some signs of age so I'd rather not wait for something serious to occur. Just keeping my options open and doing some research so apologies if I offended any fanboys for my line questions

----------

Thanks for those first-hand insights Doodah. I do carry several hockey sticks almost constantly with me as I play several times a week and right now I can leave like 4 of them in my trunk in my 300 and STILL put up the back seats. I'm not expecting that level of room but was just trying to get a gauge on that so thanks for the thoughts. I think I read somewhere in the forum that someone managed to get 2 full size samsonite suitcases in the the trunk in addition to a few more smaller bags which sounds pretty reasonable.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Sorry bro, I think I was grouchy that day.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Because I asked a few questions I'm a bimmer guy? I think the inside of the 5's and 3's just feel cheap to me; not to say previous generations of Caddy's didn't.

I think the CTS is a better car than the 5 series and if Caddy came out with a serious 7-series competitor (based on a new platform and not some hack job) it'd probably be better too just based on the direction Caddy seems to be going in.

I WAS initially looking at the CTS and still might even wait for the newer model but I am also curious to see if an ATS-V get announced and becomes available as that may pretty much make my decision for me. I'm only looking at the moment but I'm anticipating doing something soon as my 300c is reaching 130k miles and it's starting to show some signs of age so I'd rather not wait for something serious to occur. Just keeping my options open and doing some research so apologies if I offended any fanboys for my line questions
    I never liked the 5 series or the CTS series. Yes, they are sportier than a 7 or an STS/XTS, and handle better, but if you need the rear seat, you may as well get the larger sedan. And do check out the XTS' trunk space, it is cavernous.

The 3-series and now ATS are a very different option, and it is not the lower price that makes them popular, they really handle much better in spirited driving.

A CTS-V, or a M5, makes sense, as horsepower can overcome some of the weight factor. An ATS-V will be a complete rocket, but not really needed in street driving, the 3.6L is plenty fast. Unless you want to win all drag races.

----------

Thanks for those first-hand insights Doodah. I do carry several hockey sticks almost constantly with me as I play several times a week and right now I can leave like 4 of them in my trunk in my 300 and STILL put up the back seats. I'm not expecting that level of room but was just trying to get a gauge on that so thanks for the thoughts. I think I read somewhere in the forum that someone managed to get 2 full size samsonite suitcases in the the trunk in addition to a few more smaller bags which sounds pretty reasonable.
    You should be able to use the pass-through opening for the hockey sticks. I figure that you can slide all 4 through them at the same time. This way the back seat stays upright.

The trunk is smallish, but not unwieldy, especially if you get the folding seat option. For space, get a SUV.

OTH, you wouldn't want to get 4 hockey sticks in a 'vette or 911....

No worries Fraggy.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
    I never liked the 5 series or the CTS series. Yes, they are sportier than a 7 or an STS/XTS, and handle better, but if you need the rear seat, you may as well get the larger sedan. And do check out the XTS' trunk space, it is cavernous.

The 3-series and now ATS are a very different option, and it is not the lower price that makes them popular, they really handle much better in spirited driving.

A CTS-V, or a M5, makes sense, as horsepower can overcome some of the weight factor. An ATS-V will be a complete rocket, but not really needed in street driving, the 3.6L is plenty fast. Unless you want to win all drag races.

You should be able to use the pass-through opening for the hockey sticks. I figure that you can slide all 4 through them at the same time. This way the back seat stays upright.

The trunk is smallish, but not unwieldy, especially if you get the folding seat option. For space, get a SUV.

OTH, you wouldn't want to get 4 hockey sticks in a 'vette or 911....
    Ah - so there is a Pass-through between the 2 back seats; that solves that problem for sure and is actually a lot more convenient. Good to know and thanks.

----------

On a different train of thought - what's everyone experience with CUE? All the mags have totally slammed it. I'm guessing cause it's so different than the the knob approach that all the German cars are taking and I think they're biased towards that (funny how they all hated it when they first came out).

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Ah - so there is a Pass-through between the 2 back seats; that solves that problem for sure and is actually a lot more convenient. Good to know and thanks.
    Not on all models. Some have fixed seats, some a pass through and some folding seats. Be carefull with your order or check out your car if purchasing off the lot.

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security
    Premium has fold down seats AND pass-thru.

jreihsen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Big Jim is right. The 335 is grossly underrated in terms of power. Our test drive in it was VERY impressive.

Also, the new (2012) 3 series is a little longer than the ATS. Their trunk is larger and there is more leg room. I would even say that iDrive is the equal of CUE.

But in the end for me, the interior of the ATS won out (aided by the fact that we have no local BMW dealer).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.