Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Moving on in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Well this is my first post. Tomorrow im going to go test drive the 3.6 rwd ats to decide if ...
- 01-01-13 01:38 PM #1Cadillac Owners Member
- Join Date
- Dec 2012
Well this is my first post. Tomorrow im going to go test drive the 3.6 rwd ats to decide if its worth trading in my scirocco. Iv'e seen the interior and i loved it. Its more modern than the bmw and a bit more complex and mature then the audi. All in all i think its a great car look wise. Driving still not sure. Is there anything i should be looking out for while driving? I honestly did want to trade my current ride for an mk7 golf r but it won't be out for a while. I hope im making the right decision here.Anyway here is my current ride (abt kit btw):
Ps im from lebanon so all ats 3.6 come as premium nothing else and the only option we can add is the sunroof which i did. Only one issue not sure on the color. Or black on black or grey on black interior.
- Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
- 01-01-13 04:14 PM #2Cadillac Owners Member
- Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Premium
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
Re: Moving on
I think there are four main questions you should be asking yourself on the test drive
1. Can I live with this transmission? - definitely the weak point of the ATS compared to the BMW. It often seems to be in the wrong gear, and just isn't as smooth as a car of this quality should have. Assuming the 3.6 Premium is similar to the US spec cars you should makes sure you test in both the touring and sports mode.
2. Can my passengers live with this ride? - the ride is very firm, even in touring mode. This is great for the driver, but not so much fun for the passengers. On poor quality roads it can actually be quite distracting, even for the driver.
3. Will the AC cool the car adequately? The ATS has yet to be tested through a hot summer in the US, and I'm just not yet convinced there is going to be adequate cooling, at least in Auto mode.
4. Can I live with the fuel economy? - The 3.6 averages around 19 miles per US gallon, and is certainly something to consider compared to a Golf
Don't forget this is a new model, with the inherent issues, including dealer unfamiliarity, parts supply, bugs in the software etc.
Personally I'd be looking at a Volvo V40 R-design with exterior styling kit too.
But the ATS is an amazing car, and I love driving it. It is so much fun to drive fast, particularly on curves and bends. No regrets at all. These are just things to consider. The ATS certainly stands out on the road, even more so in Lebanon I would think.
- 01-02-13 01:56 AM #3Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
- Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- Atlanta, GA
Re: Moving on
Way different car from your Scirocco. RWD vs FWD, loads of sound proofing, and way more power, not to mention a lot bigger, with more space to boot. While the ATS has a very firm ride, I bet it will still ride better than your Scirocco, especially with the large wheels you have on your car. The ride of the Premium is supposed to be a bit smoother when in touring than the ride of the base sport suspension, but "Sport" mode is to tight for anything but a track. The car does stick like glue, especially with the summer tires of the Premium, and the brakes are fabulous too; be sure to really hammer on them. The steering will feel considerably different from your car; no torque steer, of course, but perhaps a bit less feel than what you have now (but more than the BMW for sure). And being RWD, you can steer with the throttle, which is way fun.
Do they offer the 2.0 liter turbo in your country? If they do, please give it a try, too. It's really a sweet engine, nearly as fast as the 3.6, but cheaper to buy and more efficient, too. Plus, it's available with a stick that's considerably better than the early reports have said, if you are so inclined.
Have fun, and please let us know how things go. Make sure they demonstrate the CUE system before you drive off, as well as the driver assist features and the HUD, The Premium has LOTS of toys.