2.5 L ATS good buy or not - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.5 L ATS good buy or not in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by marktanner Another possibility: 2.0 with a stick saves enough money to afford the CUE. All 2.0s get ...
    Jones atsnh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0t Premium

Re: 2.5 L ATS good buy or not

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    Another possibility: 2.0 with a stick saves enough money to afford the CUE. All 2.0s get the Brembo brakes and upgraded wheels with run flats, and the sticks all come with a limited slip differential, too. The base 2.0 stick is a true performance bargain. CUE adds the upgraded sound system, CD player and rear back-up camera, as well as a whole lot more smart phone integration that is lacking in the base system. Don't forget the iPad that also is included with the CUE system, which takes some of the sting out of the price.

I've driven both the 2.5 Luxury as a loaner, and the 2.0 stick Luxury test drive. The 2.5 is adequate, but the 2.0 is really much nicer. It is smoother and better sounding, as well as being much quicker and more fun to drive. And the base 2.0 has much better looking wheels, than the wheels on the 2.5, not to mention the great brakes. Really worth the difference, IMO.
    I could not have said it better. Go with the manual transmission and the you can get CUE!! Plus the manual is so much fun!!

Jercat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 G8 GXP

To the op, the price you pull up on the Cadillac site is msrp, so you should get the car for less and that would cover the difference is getting the 2.0 with cue.

xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

I wanted to comment about the whole "2.5L engine does not belong in a Cadillac" matter. At first I bought into the whole, just get a 2.0T, it's only $600 more argument. Then I went to the Cadillac web site and found that it is closer to $2000 difference. I bought a 2.5L base with the sunroof and heated seats. It was what I could afford and the extra $2000 might have put it out of reach. In the Northeast US where traffic enforcement is pretty tough, I am not sure how an extra 72 horses would help me. When I owned a Challenger that only had 50 more horses than my 2.5L ATS, I got a ticket that could have cost me up to $1000 (I pleaded down to $252) in the first month I owned the car. I can't even imagine having 272 HP in a car the size of my ATS. So I think the 2.5L has plenty of power. We have these discussions about power and performance. but in practical terms, much of this performance is wasted on American roads that are congested and where speed limits are low. Move this conversation to Germany (or even Montana) and it's a whole different story.

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by xtheunknown View Post
    I wanted to comment about the whole "2.5L engine does not belong in a Cadillac" matter. At first I bought into the whole, just get a 2.0T, it's only $600 more argument. Then I went to the Cadillac web site and found that it is closer to $2000 difference. I bought a 2.5L base with the sunroof and heated seats. It was what I could afford and the extra $2000 might have put it out of reach. In the Northeast US where traffic enforcement is pretty tough, I am not sure how an extra 72 horses would help me. When I owned a Challenger that only had 50 more horses than my 2.5L ATS, I got a ticket that could have cost me up to $1000 (I pleaded down to $252) in the first month I owned the car. I can't even imagine having 272 HP in a car the size of my ATS. So I think the 2.5L has plenty of power. We have these discussions about power and performance. but in practical terms, much of this performance is wasted on American roads that are congested and where speed limits are low. Move this conversation to Germany (or even Montana) and it's a whole different story.

Agree to disagree I suppose. I'll probably never reach the top speed in my 3.6, I'll grant you that. I live in NY with notoriously strict cops. I'm also a young single male driver... so my insurance is already through the roof and would skyrocket with a speeding ticket. However acceleration is one of the most fun, exciting, and legal ways of experiencing a car's horsepower. When you're on a highway and trying to pass a slow vehicle, or on back roads and taking corners a little more "spiritedly" ... you can definitely feel it. Moreover, with a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds from the 3.6 (vs. 7.2 seconds in the 2.5 L) highway entrances are a whole different experience.

By no means am I criticizing you for getting the 2.5 L. To each their own, in my opinion. But the 2.0T gets to 60 in 5.7 seconds which means the acceleration is definitely there... which is one of my favorite attributes of the ATS and can be enjoyed without breaking any traffic laws!

macintoshse1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

FYI glacier blue
    Phone picture not the best quality

WP_000930.jpg

one more

WP_000931.jpg

last one

WP_000933.jpg
    investor74 and investor74 like this.

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

Recently my 2.0T was in the shop the dealer gave me a 2.5L to drive for a couple of days. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the power it had enough to make it very comfortable to drive either highway or on the back roads plus it was getting much better gas mileage than the turbo. I still love having the turbo but for those looking at the 2.5L won't be disappointed. I am a performance nut owning corvettes, Camaro's and other muscle cars.

WillinSD is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I went back and forth between the 2.5 and the 2.0T during my decision process. I had it pretty set in my mind I would get the 2.0T base model, no CUE. However that became a bit difficult for me to find unfortunately. I had the down payment and financing all set up so I was getting pretty anxious to get into an ATS. When it came down to it I didn't want to wait anymore and figured that I had test drove the 2.5 and really enjoyed it, so I found one which had CUE and just took it home. I have no regrets what so ever, but I also live 8 blocks away from my work and don't do much driving in the first place, so the performance upgrade one would get from the 2.0T would be mostly lost on me. Personally the 2.5 has plenty of power and I find myself speeding so easily in it! I love any reason to hop in it and drive, the interior is fantastic and the drive is so smooth! I'm not completely sold on CUE though, it's fine for what it is, but I'm also not a techy guy.

xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by zr1mom View Post
    Recently my 2.0T was in the shop the dealer gave me a 2.5L to drive for a couple of days. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the power it had enough to make it very comfortable to drive either highway or on the back roads plus it was getting much better gas mileage than the turbo. I still love having the turbo but for those looking at the 2.5L won't be disappointed. I am a performance nut owning corvettes, Camaro's and other muscle cars.
    Thanks for this post. I couldn't prove it because I haven't driven the 2.0T ATS, but in the 2 months that I have owned my 2.5L I have never felt like I didn't have power when I needed it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    Agree to disagree I suppose. I'll probably never reach the top speed in my 3.6, I'll grant you that. I live in NY with notoriously strict cops. I'm also a young single male driver... so my insurance is already through the roof and would skyrocket with a speeding ticket. However acceleration is one of the most fun, exciting, and legal ways of experiencing a car's horsepower. When you're on a highway and trying to pass a slow vehicle, or on back roads and taking corners a little more "spiritedly" ... you can definitely feel it. Moreover, with a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds from the 3.6 (vs. 7.2 seconds in the 2.5 L) highway entrances are a whole different experience.

By no means am I criticizing you for getting the 2.5 L. To each their own, in my opinion. But the 2.0T gets to 60 in 5.7 seconds which means the acceleration is definitely there... which is one of my favorite attributes of the ATS and can be enjoyed without breaking any traffic laws!
    The problem with acceleration is that it leads to speed. LOL. I was allegedly clocked doing 67 in a 30 MPH zone in my V6 Challenger even though I had started from a dead stop, from a side street and was pulled over maybe an 1/8 of a mile from that side street. Acceleration is great, too much is just dangerous for me and my bank account.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by zr1mom View Post
    Agreed.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by WillinSD View Post
    I went back and forth between the 2.5 and the 2.0T during my decision process. I had it pretty set in my mind I would get the 2.0T base model, no CUE. However that became a bit difficult for me to find unfortunately. I had the down payment and financing all set up so I was getting pretty anxious to get into an ATS. When it came down to it I didn't want to wait anymore and figured that I had test drove the 2.5 and really enjoyed it, so I found one which had CUE and just took it home. I have no regrets what so ever, but I also live 8 blocks away from my work and don't do much driving in the first place, so the performance upgrade one would get from the 2.0T would be mostly lost on me. Personally the 2.5 has plenty of power and I find myself speeding so easily in it! I love any reason to hop in it and drive, the interior is fantastic and the drive is so smooth! I'm not completely sold on CUE though, it's fine for what it is, but I'm also not a techy guy.
    The 2.5L will keep up with the XTS - I wouldn't call it slow at all, check over at the XTS board how drivers like their car there.
    Funny though, as the STS was always faster (similar to CTS 3.6L)

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Cadilla...mph-Times.html

2013 Cadillac ATS Standard (2.5L) 0-60 mph 7.4 Quarter Mile 15.5
    2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum (3.6L) 0-60 mph 6.8 Quarter Mile 15.2

2013 Cadillac ATS Performance (3.6L) 0-60 mph 5.3 Quarter Mile 13.8

2012 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sedan 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter Mile 14.5

2008 Cadillac STS 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter mile 14.5
    2001 Cadillac STS 0-60 mph 6.4 Quarter mile 14.8

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Macintoshse1, I'm sorry that this thread has just been brought to my attention today! If you have any questions about your future ATS, don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. I'm happy to investigate on your behalf, and I'm also happy to provide you with a build sheet if you send the last eight of the ATS's VIN.

WillinSD, your feedback is much appreciated! I'm glad you're enjoying your ATS, and I'm just an email away if you have any vehicle questions!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.