2.5 L ATS good buy or not - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.5 L ATS good buy or not in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by macintoshse1 I'm looking into getting a ATS and trying to stay within a budget. The two cars ...
    xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

Re: 2.5 L ATS good buy or not

Quote Originally Posted by macintoshse1 View Post
    I'm looking into getting a ATS and trying to stay within a budget. The two cars I'm looking at are a 2.5L with CUE preferred pricing is $34,688 or a 2.0L without CUE for $35134. I guess the question is would you buy a ATS without CUE. After driving both cars I could live with the 2.5L. But 2.0L pulls like a freight train and there is still power above 75, while the 2.5L appears to be running out of steam.

Thanks
    I would go with the 2.0T with CUE. I leased a 2.5L without CUE and my three regrets are no 2.0T, no CUE and no AWD. This would have pushed the cost to $41K and the lease out of my reach. Other than that, I like the ATS and compared to my Jetta TDI with a 2.0T, I don't really notice a lot of difference in engine performance. The ride is incredible and I don't think I've owned a better looking car. Previously, my favorite car was my '94 BMW 325is, but now I think the ATS is it.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

DCnative is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6L AWD & 13 ATS 2.5L RWD

Having leased the ATS 2.5 Luxury Red Crystal coat in October (wife’s car) and currently have 2,500 miles, here are a few observations;

First, not to compare the 2.0T or 3.6, but rather the experience in an urban driving environment ( Northern Va/ Washington DC suburb). A lot of stop and go
    traffic, where everyone passes you on the right to only to meet up at the next traffic light…that’s our excitement in owning a performance car.

I own a CTS 08 AWD 3.6 and have owned two STS (01 & 09), simply stated the ATS is the best car produced from Cadillac. I have had no issues. The fit and feel is superb as the gas mileage 22 mpg city (using regular gas) is acceptable for performance. It has sport mode and winter traction for RW. I see the posts talk about the experience of the turbo or V6 and appreciate the enthusiasm for the performance, but if you’re driving in an urban setting you may want to save a few bucks with the 2.5L.

It is a big plus to park the ATS in the streets of DC, especially the pay to park cluster meters have no defined parking lines No wonder the ATS received the Urban Car of the Year. On the Beltway it holds its own for acceleration and again has the same feel as the 2.0 T and 3.6 as described in Motor Authority review July 23, 2012.

The Luxury package includes the brimbo brakes, steering and suspension found on the other models and opted for the CUE/navigation and sunroof, heated seats/ steering wheel and polished 18 inch wheels.

My only gripe is that the Luxury model does not offer the HID/LED headlights. If Cadillac would offer the HID/LED they could even attract the Honda, Hyundai and Camry crowd to the 2.5. My experience; the lighting is poor in the rain and with no fog lights to brighten up visibility in front of the car is a down right safety concern.

And it would be nice to have a 6 CD exchanger. If room is a concern in the front, I would place it in the trunk. I had a Mitsubishi Spider T and the 6 CD exchanger was located in the trunk.

Well that is my take on the ATS 2.5 in hopes Cadillac improves these two features to attract more buyers…. especially the urbanites. Wish Caddy well in letting the Germans know….we got a Car Here!
    investor74 and investor74 like this.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

I'm looking into getting a ATS and trying to stay within a budget. The two cars I'm looking at are a 2.5L with CUE preferred pricing is $34,688 or a 2.0L without CUE for $35134. I guess the question is would you buy a ATS without CUE. After driving both cars I could live with the 2.5L. But 2.0L pulls like a freight train and there is still power above 75, while the 2.5L appears to be running out of steam.

Thanks
    Do consider the infinity G37 for $35,341
    The 2.5L with CUE is nice, but very different to drive
    Compare the 0-60 times in the above two links, for the same money.

The 2.0T keeps up with the G37, and both provide a very different driving experience, but CUE is indeed much nicer to have. Without CUE you also have no navigation, think about that.

If you do a lot of urban driving, commuting, or are a non-aggressive driver, the 2.5L is quite live-able, plus you get better mileage on top of it. Some reviewers called it the Fleet car option.

And think about it, the 2.5L is quite similar to the 3.6L XTS in performance, the 2.5L is not a slough by any means.

I would negotiate with the dealer. Tell him that you want the 2.0L with CUE for $36k, or otherwise will order on Internet. Then also do consider that the 2.5L is plentiful, and could be discounted by summer time.

Blk99vett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I totally agree DCnative. Caddy should have allowed the hid/led option and forged 18 inch wheels option on the luxury model with the leather seats. That combination of options would have been ideal for me. Perhaps they will be more accomadating in upcoming years. That being said, I opted for the black on black performance model with CUE. Love the ipad! If this car is as reliable as I think it will be, I have many miles of fun driving ahead of me. For those who dont want to spend as much $, opt for the CUE...it is the best option available on this car in my opinion.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Quote Originally Posted by DCnative View Post
    A lot of stop and go
    traffic, where everyone passes you on the right to only to meet up at the next traffic light…that’s our excitement in owning a performance car.
    They probably time the lights so they can take another look at your beautiful ATS!

BTW, which DC area dealer did you use? I'm closest to Moore in Chantilly.

DCnative is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6L AWD & 13 ATS 2.5L RWD

Yes, got it at Moore......and bought it impulsively....I think now is a good time to negotiate from what you are reading on the forums....hope to see you at the next traffic light....haven't seen another ATS yet!

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Every review I have read has stated that the 2.5L engine has no business being in a car wearing Cadillac emblems. It is offered only to bring the price point down and is primarily destined for the rental car fleets.

The 2.0T is meant to be the volume engine. Due to the light weight it allows the car to be a bit more nimble. The 3.6L is the hot rod. Now the gap between the 2.0T and the 3.6L may be narrowed if you tune the turbo.

While I love the 318 horses in my CTS. In a car that heavy it could use a few more ponies. In the ATS it would be a beast. If price were an issue, I would look at the turbo and forgo some toys.

If a family member or friend were asking my advice, as they occasionally do, I would tell them to leave the 2.5L off their list.

Wideband is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    What is nice about the base level car is that it brings the MSRP to around 33K. Nevada taxes cars on the base MSRP which lowers the tax on a vehicle with a higher trim level or options being added. So I am happy that the base model exists!

DTSDan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Had a brand new National Car Rental Chrysler 300 reserved for my trip to Auburn Hills for a last visit to the Walter P. Chrysler Museum, but always check out the ready lot before heading to the desk. There was an ATS (2.5L Luxury Collection, Light Platinum over Black) sitting there, too, with my name all over it. Usually spend a couple of months a year in rentals and enjoy driving and checking out different vehicles (including CTS, DTS, and STS). Some observations:

(1) I'm 5'11", 210, big shoulders. Never could figure out a way to easily get into or out of the ATS.
    (2) First time ever experience where I could not get everything set to my liking before leaving garage. The CUE thing was
    very frustrating and the learning curve was slow. It wasn't too bad after a couple of days.
    (3) 2.5L exhaust note reminded me of a clapped out Cobalt or similar low-end offering. Engine does like to rev and in the
    upper ranges it did give me a most satisfactory sound/performance experience. Performance overall was acceptable
    and, on occasion, more than ample.
    (4) It's expensive (to me). At $38,485, any car without heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, and non-locking
    gas cap tells me GM continues to soldier on in the tried and true Roger Smith School of Business (wrecking).
    (5) The ATS drives and rides extremely well, handling some challenging roads around Metro Detroit without issue. It
    "points and shoots" much better than the CTS. It has a great look - when other Detroit drivers check out your ride,
    it's the ultimate complement for a regular production vehicle.
    (6) When the rental units cycle into the used market, resale values will react accordingly. Nearly all manufacturers now
    sell to the daily rental fleets to the detriment of product/franchise value and customers' large investment in the
    product.
    (7) All-time favorite Cadillac rental (and would consider buying, too): 2011 DTS Platinum, Vanilla Mocha over dark brown
    premium leather; second: 2006 DTS, Blue Chip over blue leather, chrome wheels. Car had best look ever.

Just my two cents.

DTS Dan
    2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi, black over saddle leather upgrade (wife's - 15,000 miles)
    1993 Mercedes 300CE, black over ash leather (daily driver - 245,000 miles) looks, drives great
    1994 Mercedes E320 cabriolet, all black (garage baby - 55,000 miles) looks even better, drives great

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    (4)Give me a break. People want Cadillac to compete with BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Then, when they do, people complain about price.

The ATS isn't an economy car. Price it out with the competition. It's fine. And still a bit better than the competition...

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Yup.

exesivefire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    (4)Give me a break. People want Cadillac to compete with BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Then, when they do, people complain about price.

The ATS isn't an economy car. Price it out with the competition. It's fine. And still a bit better than the competition...
    Golf clap...

I think they did a great job of putting it at a "reachable" price point for someone who might not have been able to afford a cadillac before, while still being able to distinguish the higher models apart for those who were willing to spend the money on the toys.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Did the math again the base 2.0T/auto with only CUE is $35,615 with no other options. I believe this is the way I'm going to go, just going have to save a little more money before I get it.

Attachment 101861
    The preferred pricing is pretty good. I got a 2.0 Standard AWD with CUE and Heated Seats for around $37k. GM treats their suppliers pretty well

Make sure you see the glacier blue in person before you order it, even a swatch.

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    Make sure you see the glacier blue in person before you order it, even a swatch.
    Good comment. I just saw a Glacier Blue ATS in the dealer show room. Not the most flattering color to show off the ATS. I am sure there is some one that loves it though.

Wideband is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisitalia
    Good comment. I just saw a Glacier Blue ATS in the dealer show room. Not the most flattering color to show off the ATS. I am sure there is some one that loves it though.
    The dealer here has the gold one on display.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.