Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How Did Your ATS Do In The Snow This Past Week?

44K views 99 replies 59 participants last post by  Chrispy 
#1 ·
Many of us experienced the big winter storm over the last few days... So what's the verdict? How did your ATS do?

#36 ·
Drove 2014 ATS on slush covered parking lot. RWD and factory tires, first day we had it. Went no where. Put on traction control and backed up enough to get maneuvered to go forward and get going. Then got stuck turning a corner on a snow packed side street and needed a push forward from bystanders to get going. Will get snow tires this week and see if it helps, otherwise it's back to the 97 Catera for the winter!

#39 ·
I am of the somewhat older generation who grew up driving rear wheel drive cars, I did not own a front wheeled drive car till 1997. I make it a point to switch tires the first week of November on all of the 5 cars I own, each car has its own set of wheels and 4 snows, my house is about 900 feet above sea level, on a street with a steep incline, and an uphill into the garage, the 2014 RWD ATS with a set of 4 General Artic Altimax had No issues at all. Very pleased with the car and the way it handles, even in the dry the snows are not to loud, just gives up some of the handling aspects.

#40 ·
I realize some people did just fine with all seasons and rwd but I'm sure that's just a matter of discretion. People have much differing opinions on what's manageable and much differing opinions on what snow is, meaning a half inch vs a foot! I drove a 97 z28 with narrow blizzaks plus 300 lbs steel in the back and it was very manageable in just about any snow, HOWEVER, my awd ats with 4 Dunlop winter maxx (very similar to blizzaks) was phenomenal! I could just about floor it in a foot of snow/slush and it went with minimal spin. Awd+snows=fantastic winter performance. I live in buffalo where we can get a couple feet in a blink. Rwd with all seasons just won't cut it here unless you are content with driving 20 mph everywhere you go.

#41 ·
Jroca64 said:
I am of the somewhat older generation who grew up driving rear wheel drive cars, I did not own a front wheeled drive car till 1997. .
Here, here. Drove about 30 years on RWD until 2002 and remember learning the winter driving skills on ice/snow covered country roads with ditches and snow banks fast approaching.

#42 · (Edited)
I personally was not very impressed with my 2013 ATS4 2.0T with 4 Artic Altimax sneaks on. My first experience with icy roads this past week was a white knuckler, the rear of the caddy kicked out sideways on me twice on the highway going to work. Fortunately I am old enough to have driving many a winter under all conditions with rear wheel drive, front wheel drive, four wheel drive and all wheel drive vehicles, so I was able to remain in control of my slip sliding caddy and get to work safe. Either the TC is not working properly as it allowed the rear of my AWD to spin out or If it was working properly it was not activating quickly enough to prevent it from spinning out on me. Part of the problem could have been that I put to much faith and expectation in the system and was driving it beyond its capabilities. My expectations came from this. I traded my 2003 Audi A4 1.8 turbo quattro in on this car because my wife really liked it. The Audi was like a train on rails, you could not get that thing to spin or get loose it was unbelievable. Snow, ice or slush it did not matter. My wife and I always felt safe in that car and were never worried about weather conditions as you could barely tell you where driving in it. This car is no Audi as far as AWD and TC systems are concerned. Obviously my expectations where to high and I will have to adjust my driving style to the capabilities of this car.

In hopes that everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.
Peace out

#45 ·
I hear Audi's quattro all wheel drive technology is the best in the business

That said, are their any fellow Floridian's in here reading through these horror stories?? I've never driven in snow... It sounds like a nightmare.. Caddy 4's, Merc 4matics, and BMW Xi's are rare around here.

#47 ·
I hear Audi's quattro all wheel drive technology is the best in the business

That said, are their any fellow Floridian's in here reading through these horror stories?? I've never driven in snow... It sounds like a nightmare.. Caddy 4's, Merc 4matics, and BMW Xi's are rare around here.
You'd get used to it quickly...no other choice if you live up north. I find RWD to be just as good if not better than FWD, especially if the person operating the car knows what they're doing!

#49 ·
We had our first real snow storm in the Kansas City area this weekend, 4-5 inches, and very cold. I got out in the snow while the snow plows were just getting started. I have the factory Michelin run flat all-seasons, and for the most part the car is capable in the snow. My last car was an Audi A4. This car is quite as good as that one was. I also used just the factory all-seasons on it also. Starting and stopping does not have much difference, but when it's time to turn the Cadillac is not as sure footed. It has a little more tendency to want to snow plow, and not track through the corner. I'll probably get a set of snow tires for next winter.

#50 ·
Big storm this weekend in Southeast MI. Got around 11 inches of snow and I was havin a great time once I turned OFF the traction control so my wheels could spin a bit. I have a RWD 2.0T MT with Blizzak WS70 225-45's on the standard's 17 inch wheels. I couldn't get up even a moderate grade with the TC on and a $&@!'in ford focus passed me without a problem on hill from a dead stop. Turned off the TC and I haven't looked back. All my other cars have been FWD with snow tires (Acura TL, Honda Accord) and man I have been missing out on winter fun! I gladly took the wife to the mall yesterday just so I could do my best ken block impression in the (nearly empty) macys parking lot.

#53 ·
its alllllllllllll about the tires
a mustang on bridgestone blizzaks with a few sandbags in the trunk will drive circles around some stock suv with awd and cheap all-season tires

why people still dont realize this is beyond me, it seems car companies are more than happy to perpetuate the illusion that awd = invincible in snow, and upsell people on suvs

#54 ·
This is very true. Even the all season runcraps on the ATS seem to do pretty well. If it weren't for the depth, I would have driven it today. The sad fact is, tires can only get you so far if the snow is deeper than the car's ground clearance.

AWD is more profitable for the OEMs, so they'll push it. Plus, most people are too cheap/lazy to buy a second set of wheels and snow tires for their cars. Easier to just buy a whole new car instead. haha

#57 ·
joekitch said:
its alllllllllllll about the tires a mustang on bridgestone blizzaks with a few sandbags in the trunk will drive circles around some stock suv with awd and cheap all-season tires why people still dont realize this is beyond me, it seems car companies are more than happy to perpetuate the illusion that awd = invincible in snow, and upsell people on suvs
Couldn't have said it better myself!! I drove a 97 z28 through a few winters with nice new tall narrow blizzaks plus a few hundred lbs of steel weights in the hatch and it was flawless.

My ats awd with Dunlop winter maxx is excellent in anything so far....I'm in buffalo area and as I speak we're getting pounded! I think we're declared first official blizzard in over 20 years with projected 3-4 feet of snow in the next 48hrs and -45 wind chill!

#61 ·
Well, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get all season tires. My high performance summer tires are terrible on snow/ice. I got stuck at the end of my driveway this morning in 1/2 inch of packed snow because I did not backup far enough, and when I went to drive forward, the rear end slid into the gutter. If I would have backed fully into the street and straightened the car out, I could have gotten it to go forward. I was able to backup to the edge of my cleared driveway and got the left rear on solid pavement and accelerated enough to keep my momentum up and get going. The LSD works great! I only had 3 blocks of this to drive before I hit the main streets that are cleared. I do not get enough snow here to justify snow tires.

#64 ·
I do not get enough snow here to justify snow tires.
They're not snow tires, they're winter tires, if your winter temperature averages below 45F, you will get better traction than all seasons, whether or not there is snow on the ground. For that temp, if you already have performance tires (aka summer) you're better off with your second set being winter tires.

Tires do play a big part in traction, but AWD will beat any RWD car with snow tires--period. Please show me a Mustang with Blizzaks beating an AWD car in the snow. I really think that people who don't have AWD try to justify with any type of excuse why RWD with snows is better--IDIOTS!!!
How about an M3 beating a Subaru? See below.

Who is saying a RWD with snow tires beats AWD with snow tires? The only thing being "justified" is: a RWD car can be perfectly safe in the snow, keeping up with traffic, no white knuckling. At least as safe as AWD with all seasons. Car and Driver agrees.

I've been all over in the snow with Blizzaks in Michigan this Winter and have been perfectly fine. Am I rally racing WRXs? No, that's not the point. Don't be afraid of winter if you want to enjoy RWD the other seasons, that's the point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.