How Did Your ATS Do In The Snow This Past Week? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, How Did Your ATS Do In The Snow This Past Week? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; My AWD ATS had absolutely no problems!...
    rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: How Did Your ATS Do In The Snow This Past Week?

My AWD ATS had absolutely no problems!

Duntov7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

how the RWD ATS did in the snow, and please let us know what kind of Tires you're using
    -------------------------------------------
    This is an excellent question. I am looking for Snows 225/40R18 by Bridgestone (RunFlats), Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (non Runflats), Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D (non runFlat) etc.
    Users please let us know !!

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

A question like this is about tires, and then about AWD vs RWD, not really the car. You could try 10 similar sedans with the same tires and get the same responses on this thread. Nothing special about the ATS. Not that I'm complaining.

Huna......Yup, I'm looking for a little winter tire 'input' from users, before I invest about 2 grand on winter tires and alloy wheels.

Major7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

The ATS does great in the snow. It my best snow car since my Grand Cherokee. I had a Merc C Class and an Acura T/L in between.

If you want a great winter tire, you can't go wrong with the Blizzaks. I had them on my RWD C Class and they made all the difference. That car was not drive-able in the snow without them.

Thanks, Major7......I am leaning towards the Blizzaks, and I appreciate your input !

rsf507 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2.0T 2013 ATS Performance Black raven with Morello Red (:

With AWD, is it recommended you go with winters? or is it generally felt all season are ok?? My girlfriend drives a CRV and she just has all seasons and her car is great in the snow, any thoughts...

Wideband is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Reading all of the comments about driving in the snow sure makes me glad to be living in the sunny southwest! Enjoyed a very nice 70 degree day here in Las Vegas yesterday.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by rsf507 View Post
    With AWD, is it recommended you go with winters? or is it generally felt all season are ok?? My girlfriend drives a CRV and she just has all seasons and her car is great in the snow, any thoughts...
    I have always done fine with AWD and all-seasons. I'm not driving through the Rockies or anything, but we get lots of snow and ice. Traction vs. handling vs. braking can be different discussions, but all-in-all, I consider my ATS AWD plenty capable.

rsf07: It's your decision, but up here in the snowy north, proper Winter Tires are acknowledged by all experts to be strongly recommended whether RWD, AWD or FWD. It's the tire winter-tread that steers and controls, not the drive propulsion type. I have CTS AWD, and wouldn't back out of the driveway w/o Winter Snows......but what do I know. Some folks don't even wear seat belts ! Just portraying many, many years of winter driving experience. I had winter snows on an earlier Corvette too.....lots of fun doing spinneramas.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Major7 View Post
    The ATS does great in the snow. It my best snow car since my Grand Cherokee. I had a Merc C Class and an Acura T/L in between.

If you want a great winter tire, you can't go wrong with the Blizzaks. I had them on my RWD C Class and they made all the difference. That car was not drive-able in the snow without them.
    My V wouldn't move with summer tires in the snow. I knew that, but I had to try it for fun. Blizzaks made a world of difference.

As for not wanting to spend money, used winter tires are easy to find. Especially this time of year! I paid $300 for my Blizzaks that were almost new...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wideband View Post
    Reading all of the comments about driving in the snow sure makes me glad to be living in the sunny southwest! Enjoyed a very nice 70 degree day here in Las Vegas yesterday.
    And I would hate that. I get to do things in my V now that would get me arrested in the summer. 4 seasons of sun and warmth is 4 seasons of suck.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

The British magazine Autocar has a recent video of two nearly identical cars in the snow. It can be found at autocar.co.uk . They used Skoda Yetis, a VW based CUV. One had AWD with standard tires (probably all-season, though not listed). The other had FWD but with snow tires on all four wheels. The comparison was very revealing. The AWD was predictably quicker off the line, 0-30 taking 11 seconds vs. 15 sec. Under braking from 20 MPH, the AWD took about 40 feet MORE to brake to a stop. They said it was the difference between avoiding a wreck or having a big hit. As they noted, under braking, ALL cars are NO wheel drive. In cornering, the AWD did .17G, while the snows did .23, which is a 35% improvement in grip!

As they said, AWD will get you up the mountain, but you will need snows to get DOWN the mountain. They said they would take snows over AWD anyday. They did not test a Yeti with AWD AND snows, which undoubtedly would do even better. The lesson here is that ALL cars need winter tires in real snow conditions, including those with AWD, at least if one wants to stop or turn.

Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    As they said, AWD will get you up the mountain, but you will need snows to get DOWN the mountain. They said they would take snows over AWD anyday. They did not test a Yeti with AWD AND snows, which undoubtedly would do even better. The lesson here is that ALL cars need winter tires in real snow conditions, including those with AWD, at least if one wants to stop or turn.
    Based on personal experience, I would tend to agree with this. My 530i (RWD) with snow tires (cheap General Altimax Arctics) handles winter conditions better than my wife's C300 4Matic with all-season Conti DWS. Sure, she'd beat me at take off, but turning and stopping, I win. We don't get a ton of snow here in Illinois, so that's why I hesitated to get her a dedicated set of winter attire. She does OK for the most part. But if we move to a more snowy area, she'll be getting dedicated winter rubber.

drsketch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    My V wouldn't move with summer tires in the snow
    Was it awd?

rsf507 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2.0T 2013 ATS Performance Black raven with Morello Red (:

I don't think the V comes in AWD does it?
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.