Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trembling at idle

182K views 525 replies 136 participants last post by  goofygoober 
#1 ·
My 2.0T has a tendency to tremble at idle. I've switched to premium gas with no results. Also it doesn't alway happen, very irregular. Any ideas?

#102 ·
My car has stalled twice since I've had it.

Just randomly coming to a stop, clutch pedal pressed, in neutral.
I never noticed it actually die as everything like music and etc kept functioning like normal.
I just know when I went to look at the tach it was at 0 and, well, the engine was off.

I don't have any real stumbling, and the car drives/accelerates just fine, however I do think it's related to this.

Again this has been twice, completely random and happened over the span of 4 months of owning the car. Both times were costing to a stop with the clutch pressed in, car in neutral.
No codes, indication, etc...

#103 ·
Hey guys.. I had the strangest tremble, stumble today. As I was backing into my parking spot my car did the rock, tremble shake. It was about 4 rocks side to side movements as I had my
foot on the brake easing back into my parking spot. Again, I was surprised.
Bungee91, when my car dies, my music stays on too, but I had to totally restart my engine, did you have to also? Mine is an automatic, but it feels as if its in 5th gear all the time, I feel no down shift much, just at times it is not supposed to. I wish the shifter had an option for low, it might help mine to keep from dying. My rpms idle around 700 normally, but it dips to 0 then around
4-500. When it rocks and wants to die it goes from around 500 and up sort of bouncing.. I am getting very good about paying attention to every second in my car.. not a good feeling. I will say
at 75 and up, this car zooms. Lots of wind noise inside the cabin, but wow is it beautiful!!! I have had a lot of people say what a pretty car it is, and it is!
I'm getting my tire tomorrow morning. I sure hope they have some new good news for me. My dealership must be as frustrated as I am

#105 ·
Probee773, You are probably right!! I am going to another dealer next week. Every time I drive my car, it rocks. It has not died in a few days. I have been putting it in neutral when it shakes bad, and then I rev the engine a little so it wont die. Honestly I don't have time for this, just like none of us do. My days are packed with other people on schedules too. But I am exhausted with
all of this. I truly want to be safe. Also if they do take the car back, I want the next person who owns it to be aware of the issues. What a mess this is. I'm sure that no one at the dealership would even say they felt or witnessed anything, might get them in trouble. Just my thought.... ugh It has gone on too long. I wish GM would step up too. At least I have documented on this forum and with my family, friends, and all 200 of my clients... so if something happens to me in this car GM will have documentation

#106 · (Edited)
funniest thing, guy I know at the plant that owns an ATS got his tuned and it doesn't tremble anymore, and it hauls ass to boot!,

while I realize many of you aren't in these cars to modify them, and, an aftermarket tune is no excuse/proper solution.... my point is, it fixed his car, so its gotta be an issue thats fixed easily. I'm still willing to bet its an A/F ratio issue. But GM needs to seriously get on this.

but either way... once I get my intake and DP made I'm getting it tuned, things gonna fly :thumbsup:

#108 ·
Remember when big motor cars like 454's didn't come with air conditioning because the motor would stumble when the air was on....or if a distributor cap was not on good, and it could not route it's voltage from the ignition coil to the spark plugs...the man who developed the distributor cap was Charles Kettering, and the first car to have it from what I understand, was a 1910 Cadillac!! So if he could do that back then.... Surely Cadillac and fix this!!! That's sort of like what I feel in this sweet little 2.0 turbo... I know it wants to
run ... This car is beautiful, it deserves to run beautiful !!
But something is choking it back.

#109 ·
I noticed the trembling at idle almost immediately. I immediately noticed how low the idle is set. I have never owned a car with an idle that low. Luckily I have never had the full on "Shake" that some seem to have, but I only have 210 miles and less than 2 weeks in, so it may come. I am going to email my salesperson just to see if he has had others with the issue.

#110 ·
When I first got my car it was having the issue but only for a second or so and would go away. So I started putting in 94 octane and it went away. Now it trembles at idle and it does not stop just keeps trembling. When I had the cue update performed and told the dealership that is shakes at idle and they said that 4 cylinder engines just do that. Pretty crappy explanation. I have had nothing but 4 cylinder cars my entire life, I'm 28, and yes they might not have been the smoothest but they never trembled like this and those cars where much lower class than a Cadillac.

#112 ·
Just felt the car violently shake for the first time last night. This is the 3rd time it has almost stalled so I dropped it off for service this morning. They just updated me and it looks like GM has a newer calibration for this issue and the service guy asked if I can keep him informed of any idle problems post update.

#113 ·
Just checking in. I'm saddened by all of the issues with this car. My car rocks, stumbles, stalls, trembles, has no power.. heaven forbid I get in a traffic situation that I need to get out of, and my car have no power. Sitting in an automatic car wash Monday, about 2 mins in to sitting there, my car died.. Its getting old, it's every day now it scares me to drive it.
My Mom has a birthday at the end of this month. Her church is throwing a surprise party for her. She lives 700 miles away.I will rent a car to drive before I drive this Cadillac ATS 2.0!!
I read other forums where "Katie" reply's from GM. She always says to contact her. Funny they don't take my calls anymore!! only one time did anyone reply to anything I have written.
WAKE UP CADILLAC!!!! We have a problem..it's not just me. My car has been updated, re calibrated, tightened, tires changed, bolts tightened, trunk switch replaced, auto seats tweaked and tweaked again, idle reset...the list goes on. My car is 3 months old! I have shot video of the trembles, and video of my poor little motor running, and I am sending all of this to an attorney Monday!
Hopefully GM will step up. No new car should act like this! Especially a Cadillac!!!!! I work hard to be able to drive what I want.. I chose this car, GM has chosen ignore the security issues.
When my insurance went up because of collision repairs for this car, that confirmed a lot for me

#114 · (Edited)
Just checking in. I'm saddened by all of the issues with this car. My car rocks, stumbles, stalls, trembles, has no power.. heaven forbid I get in a traffic situation that I need to get out of, and my car have no power. Sitting in an automatic car wash Monday, about 2 mins in to sitting there, my car died.. Its getting old, it's every day now it scares me to drive it.
My Mom has a birthday at the end of this month. Her church is throwing a surprise party for her. She lives 700 miles away.I will rent a car to drive before I drive this Cadillac ATS 2.0!!
I read other forums where "Katie" reply's from GM. She always says to contact her. Funny they don't take my calls anymore!! only one time did anyone reply to anything I have written.
WAKE UP CADILLAC!!!! We have a problem..it's not just me. My car has been updated, re calibrated, tightened, tires changed, bolts tightened, trunk switch replaced, auto seats tweaked and tweaked again, idle reset...the list goes on. My car is 3 months old! I have shot video of the trembles, and video of my poor little motor running, and I am sending all of this to an attorney Monday!
Hopefully GM will step up. No new car should act like this! Especially a Cadillac!!!!! I work hard to be able to drive what I want.. I chose this car, GM has chosen ignore the security issues.
When my insurance went up because of collision repairs for this car, that confirmed a lot for me
Its very sad your car has so many problems. I don't know when Cadillac stopped talking to you but it would happen anyway as soon as they believe it will turn into a lemon law case. Let your lawyer (I hope you got a new one recently) handle it. And definitely enter a report at NHTSA for the problems you feel are unsafe. It doesn't take that many similar reports to cause a govt safety investigation. That will help everyone. But even if yours is an isolated case or very rare case, it's still 100% for you and you deserve to get your money back if they can't fix it under the guidelines of the lemon laws where you live. ALL car models have lemons, you just were one of the unlucky buyers. Good luck.

#117 ·
My sister had a Audi a4 2.0 turbo that did the exact same thing. I remember she took it to the dealer and according to them "that's what cars with a 2.0 turbo do" "it's the turbo". That was my only hesitation on buying the ats 2.0 because I hated the fact it did that. Sure enough my ats idles a lot just like the Audi. I don't think that can be fixed please correct me if I'm wrong

#119 ·
I have a 2013 ATS that also trembles when you are at a stop. It started right after I took delivery of the car. I have had the car in twice(it is going in for the 3rd time Thursday) for this problem and both times they could not duplicate the problem. Friday morning it was so bad that it felt like it was going to die right there and at the last second everything went back to normal. The vin is D0136626. I don't know what else can be done about this. Please keep me in the loop.

#120 ·
Hello cathycpc,

I apologize that you are still experiencing issues with your ATS trembling. I looked up your VIN and I see that another one of our Cadillac Customer Care associates is working with you but they haven’t been able to get in contact with you. They have a scheduled call to you today between the hours of 430pm and 630pm EST. Could you private message me your phone number and a time that you could be reached so I can make sure it is what your agent has on file? Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#122 · (Edited)
Hi Gregory W,

I've tried twice to private message you and Laura, but it won't let me.. Here is what they did. 5334 ECM out of calibration DIAG 0.00 scanned vehicle systems with GDS2 and found no codes. Scanned each module calibration via SPS and found a newly released update to improve idle quality. Programmed ECM and performed set-up to install new calibration. I'll se if this fixes it. So far so good. Will keep you updated.

Cathy CPC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.