Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trembling at idle

182K views 525 replies 136 participants last post by  goofygoober 
#1 ·
My 2.0T has a tendency to tremble at idle. I've switched to premium gas with no results. Also it doesn't alway happen, very irregular. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Have had that problem with my recent BMWs as well. On my cars it's been because the idle is very low...around 500-600 rpm, I think programmed that way to conserve fuel. Not something I've really worried much about. Have you checked the tach to see if engine speed is low?

#13 ·
I am sure that it is not AC related. but it does happen with a cold engine. It could be any other component on the drive chain that kicks in and pushes the momentary resistance upwards. It feels that the engine is about to stall and it shakes in its bay.

Higher idle rpm would overcome the issue, I guess.

#10 ·
cam lobe at low RPM on the old cars it would set there inch the car up and down, You guys are forgetting that you have less cylinders which makes the harmonics different than a V-8. It will stumble as you add stress to the motor at lower RPM. AC kicks in or surge of electrical power extracting juice from the alternator. When you are running 3000 RPM it is smooth. Just a different set up than you are used to. If it was all electric, it would be hard not hearing the engine rumble..

#16 ·
It is very cold around here now but I haven't experienced any "trembling" from the 2.0 engine. I even marvel at how smooth the engine is at all times. Now my wife experienced this once. She said when leaving work one day the car was very cold and she didn't warm it up. The first stop light she came to she said the car started to shake and it felt like it was going to stall. Since then she now uses her remote start when its real cold and hasn't had a problem since. Our car is garage kept and the only time its out in the cold for extended periods is at her work. Remember if you have a Turbo engine its a good idea to warm it up a bit before driving and in the Summer its a good idea to let it idle for a minute before turning it off.

#19 ·
Dealer Fixed:
Mine was stumbling all the time when at any stop throughout the day, thought it was a bit rough, but thought that was just the car - but when I drove a dealer loaner ATS I realized how nice it should run
Dealer fix - "INSPECT UNDERCARRIAGE, ADJUST EXHAUST AND ENGINE MOUNTS AND POSITION, RESET CRANK VARIATION"
Runs much, much smoother now!

#24 ·
It's not nitpicking when your car is brand new and shit like this happens... aren't the vehicles tested prior to be released from the manufacturer??? My wife drives the car daily, so i will have to ask her if she is noticing this since i got the car back. The dealer did correct an issue with the Torque of some bolts on the turbo, the service guy said it was a recall/service bulletin, not sure if that cleared it up. @ATurboS and @wannaV I would contact your dealers and see if they have gotten this "Service Bulletin".

#27 ·
I have a 2.0 and have been able to track down when my car will tremble. It seems that after any sustained speed event like highway when I then come to a light the car will tremble. I personally think it probably has to do with fuel savings measures and it takes a bit for the car to change back into city habits. All theory at this point.

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
My turbo is at the dealership now. They called today to let me know they had not been able to reproduce the trembling problem and that there were no bulletins out for it. I too have had my car come close to stalling when this happens. I have had it for just shy of a month.

@Cadillac Cust Svc: Anything you can do to help us get to the bottom of this would be appreciated. It seems as though the dealerships are waiting to hear that there is a problem from GM before attempting to solve it.

#31 ·
Contact Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, give her your VIN and she can look up to see if in fact there is a Recall. this is what she emailed me..."! I’ve been checking my resources and doing preliminary research on your particular ATS, and I do see there is one open recall currently on your vehicle (recall number 13013)" The dealer knew about it and fixed it, it involved the turbo-to-exhaust manifold joint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.