Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trembling at idle

182K views 525 replies 136 participants last post by  goofygoober 
#1 ·
My 2.0T has a tendency to tremble at idle. I've switched to premium gas with no results. Also it doesn't alway happen, very irregular. Any ideas?

#409 ·
so I got the car back from dealer after the new mounts are installed. The vibration improved alot. However, I can still feel it from my seat. Interestingly enough, they gave me a new 15 ats coupe performance 2.0 loaner. The car was silky smooth at idle. Made me wonder if GM decided to go with a different design in the 15 (leaving pre 15 models to have patched up mounts) or is it the 2.0 engine nature to not vibrate as much as the 3.6,, or is it just because the new car hasn't been broken in yet.....

#410 ·
After having my new engine mounts in for a while and getting used to them - I have no more issues except at idle. My engine would shake noticeably at any speed. At idle it still has a rough idle, it just feels like a different idle. It feels like the whole car shakes more, whereas before it seemed like it was just more focused in the front end.

#412 · (Edited)
I have my car in currently for a rough idle that doesn't happen consistently. It my situation it appears to be an issue with the throttle body, and they are running through a calibration process (13 pages) to see if it resolves the problem. If that doesn't resolve the issue, they are going to replace the throttle body.

Edit: Got the car back today, and so far the rough idle is gone. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

#411 ·
darn, that doesnt sound right man. may be they installed it wrong or sth. u should complain with the dealership

jlukavsky said:
After having my new engine mounts in for a while and getting used to them - I have no more issues except at idle. My engine would shake noticeably at any speed. At idle it still has a rough idle, it just feels like a different idle. It feels like the whole car shakes more, whereas before it seemed like it was just more focused in the front end.

#413 ·
I have "trembling" as well not sure if related--I go a letter from Cadillac, asking me to take to dealer for reprogram of ECM and new spark plugs with a colder heat range Had it done still runs the same

BTW I had a 2015 ATC 2.0T as a loaner had no such issues, and seemed?, to have better acceleration

going to ask dealer about when next oil change

#415 ·
You should be good they redesigned the engine mounts. I had them replaced under warranty and it cleared it up. No worries, and don't read too much into this or other forums it will make you paranoid about your car. Congrats and just enjoy your new ride.

#416 ·
Thanks for the info GJB.

I noticed the bulletin included 2015 so I was a bit worried but nice to know there is a cure.
Dealer just told me yesterday it now has a VIN and should be ready for pickup the last week of March.
Really can't wait.

My only other new car was a 1984 Fiero SE which I converted to a 1985 Fiero GT, restored to pristine condition back in 2005 and is now considered an antique.
That reminds me. I only have a 1 car garage. Which one gets it? ... LOL
I think I should look for cheap storage nearby for the Fiero. After 30 years it is too hard to let go of.

#418 ·
Just FYI...I have a slight tremble at idle only when my car sits overnight on cold starts and only until the RPMS drop to 6-700 then it's gone. I'm going to have them look at it at my next oil change. Car just rolled 2000 miles and it seems to have started about 500 miles ago. On a side note, my 15 was a replacement for a 2014 buy back. Got the car at the end of January and already had the air intake assembly replaced due to a bad hose and clamp and also both headlights due to condensation. These cars are brilliantly engineered but use the cheapest parts, which is why this car will never be a success. Don't get me wrong, love the car and how it drives, but at this price point, they should be using higher grade parts. Won't own this car outside of warranty.

#421 ·
2014 ATS luxury, 2.0 turbo.

Its back at the dealer again for the issue.

Does anyone know what the fix is? The service writer tells me that a rough idle is normal and it has to do with emissions.

Has anyone successfully cured the rough idle on a 2.0 turbo engine? Perhaps there is a service campaign I can have the dealer reference?

Thanks!

----------

JFRAY23,

Wondering, why did GM buy back your vehicle Was it related to the rough idle?

----------

Wondering, why did they buy back your 2014 model? Was it related to the rough idle?

#424 ·
sadly, I do agree with you that this is the level of "quality" that GM/their dealers offer. It took four months for them to fix the vibration at idle for my 14 3.6 ( i bought it in august 2014) a problem that has been there since 13 model. then the moldy ac which has been there since 13 model. according to some forum members, their 13 got fixed finally. but guess what, GM said to me "this fix cannot be applied to ur 14". all local caddy dealers said that sorry, GM told them not to try fixing anything and "wait for permanent solution". even when I suggested some of the bulletin that others have had applied, hoping I could get the same "treatment" and that the moldy ac go away, dealers still refuse to apply. I mean seriously? a supposedly 51k car that smells like socks?!!

sorry to rant out of topic there. I am just getting frustrated with GM. first time buying a new luxury American brand and I am already disappointed.

Zarathos987 said:
Wondering, has anyone tried getting a 3rd party opinion on the issue? I really hope this is not the level of quality and service we should be expecting from GM.

#426 ·
Its odd that it seems to affect the 2013 and 2014 model years more than the 2015. Other than cosmetic changes and a different tune does anyone know what other the other differences are for 2015?

I am not happy with my purchase and cant believe GM builds a Cadillac with problems such as this. As a long time GM owner, I feel very disappointed and let down with the ATS.

#427 ·
They probably upgraded the 15 with the newer mounts? If you look at TSB counts by model year you will see "approximately" 50 for the MY 13, 30 for the MY 14 and 2 for MY 15 so far.

This is a good indicator that Cadillac is being aggressive at resolving issues as the car matures and is good to see.

#428 ·
yeah, lets hope that the 15 has the moldy ac fixed also.

GJB said:
They probably upgraded the 15 with the newer mounts? If you look at TSB counts by model year you will see "approximately" 50 for the MY 13, 30 for the MY 14 and 2 for MY 15 so far. This is a good indicator that Cadillac is being aggressive at resolving issues as the car matures and is good to see.

#440 ·
I'll chime in and say that I get a trembling idle in my 2014 2.0T. Really it's just barely perceptible, but I certainly notice it, and of course more often after reading about how common it is. Doesn't necessarily bother me, per se, but it's admittedly not what I'd expect from a motor in this type of car. I have about 3300 miles, run on 93 octane, auto transmission, no modifications. I'll mention it as part of the list at my first dealer visit for an oil change, but I just assumed it was within normal specs.

#441 ·
With a "new to us" 2013, 3.6 ATS, it has cold start trembles which feels to me as definitely a fuel issue, though maybe not? It drops cylinders several times a second and is quite rough but only lasts maybe 20 seconds which is still too long if it's a fuel issue, I was hoping to find an answer here but not yet?

The car came with a carfax, at about 6100 miles it says it had injectors changed, I'm wondering if that was what they were trying to fix? The car now has about 13,500 miles, BTW!

#443 ·
Just want to give you guys all the heads up here.... I own a Solstice 2.0T with direct inject. I am considering an ATS 2.0T. I haven't read this whole thread as there are over 30 pages so I don't know if it has been brought up. But there is a problem with Direct Inject motors and carbon building up on the #2 and #3 cylinder from the PCV valve. Once this carbon is cleaned off the valve, the cold start issue goes away. Ford is also having the same problem with their Direct Injection (all eccoboost) motors. There is basically nothing that can be done other then to physically clean the valve with a "walnut blast" or tear the heads apart and clean the valves. We on the solsticeforum are now running into this issue as many cars are merely "toys" and only have 20k on them. Ford is working on a cleaning agent that should be out in the next couple of months, but as of right now, there is no way to clean them other then what I stated above. DO NOT try to have anyone do a Fuel Induction cleaning as the cleaners won't reach the valves anyway and if you have a turbo, it will destroy the turbo! There is only one shop that I am aware of that performs the walnut blasting and for our Solstice/Sky vehicles it costs $600.

----------

So…I read the first 2 pages….most seem to suffer from this when their vehicles are cold. The issue I was speaking about in my previous post is when the car is cold and has over 20k miles. Most start to do it around the 25-30k mark (at least the Solstice/Sky). So this is something to think about. Here is the Ford technician that found the issue on the eccoboost. It is the second video of him talking about it, but I wanted to put the second one up because he actually shows the inside of the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK2eXdaydqI

#444 ·
i dont know if the dirty valve causes the trembling in the ats but ours have rough idle since day one, not even after aby mileage at all. several of us can verify this
The_Ghost said:
Just want to give you guys all the heads up here.... I own a Solstice 2.0T with direct inject. I am considering an ATS 2.0T. I haven't read this whole thread as there are over 30 pages so I don't know if it has been brought up. But there is a problem with Direct Inject motors and carbon building up on the #2 and #3 cylinder from the PCV valve. Once this carbon is cleaned off the valve, the cold start issue goes away. Ford is also having the same problem with their Direct Injection (all eccoboost) motors. There is basically nothing that can be done other then to physically clean the valve with a "walnut blast" or tear the heads apart and clean the valves. We on the solsticeforum are now running into this issue as many cars are merely "toys" and only have 20k on them. Ford is working on a cleaning agent that should be out in the next couple of months, but as of right now, there is no way to clean them other then what I stated above. DO NOT try to have anyone do a Fuel Induction cleaning as the cleaners won't reach the valves anyway and if you have a turbo, it will destroy the turbo! There is only one shop that I am aware of that performs the walnut blasting and for our Solstice/Sky vehicles it costs $600. ---------- So…I read the first 2 pages….most seem to suffer from this when their vehicles are cold. The issue I was speaking about in my previous post is when the car is cold and has over 20k miles. Most start to do it around the 25-30k mark (at least the Solstice/Sky). So this is something to think about. Here is the Ford technician that found the issue on the eccoboost. It is the second video of him talking about it, but I wanted to put the second one up because he actually shows the inside of the motor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK2eXdaydqI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.