V8 conversion - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, V8 conversion in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Its an ATS Yes, but why would you compare high performance V6s with trucks, vans, and SUVs? ...
    studio caddi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 4.6 Northstar
    Quote Originally Posted by Its an ATS

Yes, but why would you compare high performance V6s with trucks, vans, and SUVs?
    Apparently some people on these forums also think a V8 in a truck is exactly the same as a V8 that is in a Performance car . It's no different than comparing a 4 banger from an economy car to a race cars V8 !

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

Re: V8 conversion

I see some interesting things happening with this chassis. Cadillac may have hit a homerun with this new ground up design. If I was a betting man I see the next gen Camaro on this frame along with a couple of V8 engines. Now will they put a V8 in the ATS? Hard to say but is they do most likely it will be in the ATS-V.

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by zr1mom View Post
    I see some interesting things happening with this chassis. Cadillac may have it a homerun with this new ground up design. If I was a betting man I see the next gen Camaro on this frame along with a couple of V8 engines. Now will they put a V8 in the ATS? Hard to say but is they do most likely it will be in the ATS-V.
    They began developing the Alpha platform around the the time of the Camaro release. What we are driving right now is a luxury 4 door Camaro. Over the next 4-6 years, we are going to see some EXCITING developments from GM. I'm not making a definitive statement, but those really itching to have a V8 in their Aphla needn't worry or wait too long. If it doesn't happen in the ATS, it will happen in the Camaro!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zr1mom View Post
    I see some interesting things happening with this chassis. Cadillac may have it a homerun with this new ground up design. If I was a betting man I see the next gen Camaro on this frame along with a couple of V8 engines. Now will they put a V8 in the ATS? Hard to say but is they do most likely it will be in the ATS-V.
    They began developing the Alpha platform around the the time of the Camaro release. What we are driving right now is a luxury 4 door Camaro. Over the next 4-6 years, we are going to see some EXCITING developments from GM. I'm not making a definitive statement, but those really itching to have a V8 in their Aphla needn't worry or wait too long. If it doesn't happen in the ATS, it will happen in the Camaro!!!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Indeed. The Alpha IS the platform for the next Camaro.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Which is exactly why the ATS-V may not see a V8. There will be a V8 Alpha Camaro, and if GM is smart, a V8 Alpha sedan with a Chevy badge that will be the bang-for-the-buck of the century.

Aaron Pfadt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by studio caddi View Post
    I really want the LSA from the CTS-V but with more horsepower than it makes in the CTS-V . I love V8's and their smoothness and power and really feel that the ATS isn't a true performance car or a proper Cadillac without one .
    studio,

We are working on just such a project. Contact me outside this thread and we can talk your wants/needs. We are looking to do a complete 'system' upgrade to keep the handling in line as well as add the V8 for power. Let's talk.

Sincerely,
    Aaron Pfadt
    Pfadt Race Engineering
    888-972-2464
    www.pfadtracing.com
    aaron@pfadtracing.com

EDIT: Spammed advertising.

You guys never cease to impress, please keep us updated with your progress! Do you plan to attempt to do an V8 transformation on the AWD?

Blackjak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Which is exactly why the ATS-V may not see a V8. There will be a V8 Alpha Camaro, and if GM is smart, a V8 Alpha sedan with a Chevy badge that will be the bang-for-the-buck of the century.
    isn't that what the Chevrolet SS is going to be ?

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjak View Post
    isn't that what the Chevrolet SS is going to be ?
    The Chevy SS is based on the Holden Commodore, so that would be the Zeta platform

Yes the SS is Zeta based and the ATS is Alpha based and their is a rumored flagship that is Omega based .

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    In my opinion the ATS is all (mostly all) about driving dynamic, unless you can get a V-8 light enough, get something else if you want to go fast in a straight line. Some reviewers even say going to the V-6 minimally affects handling; just my two cents. Wait for the ATS-V (probably 2015) and see what Cadillac comes up with, but I'm guessing twin-turbo V-6 (and probably rightfully so).
    That twin turbo V6 will most likely weigh the same as an LS7 V8. It should also be mentioned that the V6 has a higher center of gravity then the V8, the Twin Turbo V6 will probably be higher again. It should also be noted that the LS7 is lighter then many competitors TTV6's, like BMW's N54(N55) or Ford EcoBoost. If the ATS was all about driving dynamics, they would have allowed the MRC and Brembos with the 2.5L. IMO, the ATS is designed to be a complete driving package, with a competitive mix of speed, cornering, braking, and drivers feel.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Its an ATS View Post
    They began developing the Alpha platform around the the time of the Camaro release. What we are driving right now is a luxury 4 door Camaro. Over the next 4-6 years, we are going to see some EXCITING developments from GM. I'm not making a definitive statement, but those really itching to have a V8 in their Alpha needn't worry or wait too long. If it doesn't happen in the ATS, it will happen in the Camaro!!!
    I think thats the wrong way to summarize that. What should be said is that the next Camaro will be an economical 2 door ATS. GM did this perfectly. It much better for everyone involved if the initial car to use the platform is the more expensive luxury version. Can you imagine the backlash if Cadillac had come out with an ATS based on an Alpha Camaro? Many people don't believe you can turn a cheap product into a luxury item, but they do believe you can take a luxury item and make it affordable and palatable to the masses.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by studio caddi View Post
    I really want the LSA from the CTS-V but with more horsepower than it makes in the CTS-V . I love V8's and their smoothness and power and really feel that the ATS isn't a true performance car or a proper Cadillac without one .
    A 911 GT3 RS 4.0 isnt a true performance car, by that standard. Also, if in fact you can say what a proper Cadillac is, most will probably agree that it be about twice the size of the ATS. If you are referring to ride quality, the DTS is the only Cadillac since the A&S language was introduced to have a ride thats even close to as smooth as some of the older Cadillacs.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFKMC View Post
    The ATS is all about 50/50 weight distribution, I would stick to a 2.0t or a V6. Todays engines are a lot more efficent before in the sense of power. Most V6 engines can outrun most V8 of today.

----------

This is exactly what Cadillac wanted to accomplish with the ATS, just pure driving dynamics, great road to driver steering response, and ample horsepower to cover the concept.
    Why do you think you will lose most of that with a V8? Also, I dont know of any V8 in any car that will be outgunnned by a V6. We cant include TTV6's as they almost always weigh as much (and often more then) GM's V8...Again, if pure driving dynamics was the end all-be all, Cadillac woould have offered a manual trans with all engines, and they would have offered MRC and brembros etc on the 2.5L.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Its an ATS View Post
    Really? Most v6's? I'd say its the other way around. LS3, LSA, LS7, LS9 cars are some of the fastest on the road. The new GT500, the coyote 5.0 are both capably fast engines. The V8 in the M3, the V8 in the RS5... The "fast" V6's that come to mind are the GTR V6TT, the S4 V6T, the 335 v6TT, and Taurus SHO. I think you jumped a little far with most V6s...
    I cant speak for the other engines, but I do know the BMW ttv6 and the Ford ttv6 both weigh more then the LS7....and make less warrantied HP. Id love to see the LS7 in the ATS-V. It would probably be around 3700 lbs...power to weight sijmilar to the C63, with better driving dynamics and a huge aftermarket.
    rodster111 and rodster111 like this.

Um most V6 twin turbos weigh more than GM's next gen V8's and get comparable gas milage to them .

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

GM 3.6L weighs app 350#s, the LS3/L99 V8 is 465 plus. Every 100#'s is a tenth in the 1/4 mile.

We have single & twin turbo 3.6's making 500 hp and getting 28 plus MPG, and the super charged versions 26 plus MPG.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

wilmo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Guys, it's fun to think about an LS7 ATSV.. But it simply will not happen. The LS7 plant will be retooled in one year, just enough time to make enough of them for the new Z28 (which is awesome)...

My money is on the TTV6 with 420-480 hp.. In which case a manual is a long shot. I want them to put the new LT1 with a 7 speed stick from the new vette but i doubt it with the M3 going to a turbo 6. Those are the only two real powertrain options for the new V..
    In either case, the car will be awesome. And for those saying a tt v6 wont keep up with a V8.. The only way you are right is if you are talking about overall potential, a ttV8 is more powerful than a TTV6... True. But if we were to get the TTV6... A 500 dollar tune would have it over 500hp with about 15 minutes of install time. The v8, although it has a higher ceiling, would be much more expensive to get over 500hp... And would be better to drive for those that dont want to trash their warranty...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.