What! NO ATS COUPE!!! - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, What! NO ATS COUPE!!! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by studio caddi Yes but the Alpha is the platform that the XLR replacement would be based on ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Re: What! NO ATS COUPE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by studio caddi View Post
    Yes but the Alpha is the platform that the XLR replacement would be based on and not the C7 ! The proposal also said that a cheap RWD Chevy coup would be based on the XLR replacement that is similar to the Chevy Code R concept . Apparently Cadillac has stated again and again that a XLR replacement needs to be a Cadillac from the start and not be based on another GM brands car ! The Cheap Chevy that is based on the XLR would help development cost . If they were smart they would also base a Buick on the XLR replacement .
    I would hardly consider the Corvette a "Cheap Chevy".

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Compared to the cars it competes against it is. Not that it matters when the owners of those high quality luxurious performance cars are looking at its taillights.

studio caddi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 4.6 Northstar
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

I would hardly consider the Corvette a "Cheap Chevy".
    I never said that the Corvette was a cheap Chevy ! The proposed Code R is a cheap RWD Chevy . Their is a new C7 coming out in the third quarter of next year and the Cheap Code R is not going to replace the C7 Corvette . Where did you get the idea that the cheap Code R will replace the C7 Corvette ?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Here's the next Cadillac Coupe:

ELR

or

Autoweek

or

Fox Business News

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3
    Here's the next Cadillac Coupe:

ELR

or

Autoweek

or

Fox Business News
    Yes and the Alpha based sports car will be after that .Supposedly based on a shortened version of the ATS's Alpha platform .

Quote Originally Posted by studio caddi

I never said that the Corvette was a cheap Chevy ! The proposed Code R is a cheap RWD Chevy . Their is a new C7 coming out in the third quarter of next year and the Cheap Code R is not going to replace the C7 Corvette . Where did you get the idea that the cheap Code R will replace the C7 Corvette ?
    I didn't say that. I misread your post. I thought your cheap Chevy comment was based on the Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

I didn't say that. I misread your post. I thought your cheap Chevy comment was based on the Corvette.
    Ops sorry about that .

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by rchern View Post
    They might be right. The CTS coupes rear seat is pretty small, has limited headroom because of the slope of the back of the car, and is extremely hard to get in and out of so trying to make a coupe out of a smaller car is going to be a challenge.
    Absolutely agree....makes no sense to make a coupe out of a small car; the CTS Coupe IMHO was a disaster! Even the sunroof was a laugh....you could only tilt. Also seats were stiff and uncomfortable (drove one as a loaner car....absolutely hated it). Only thing it had going for it was looks...that's all. Best start from scratch and make the ELR a coupe.

slowdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Still negotiating

ELR looks nice but you know the price will be out of site, the Chevy Volt took to long to get to market. It is not selling so what do you think the ELR will do?

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3

Absolutely agree....makes no sense to make a coupe out of a small car; the CTS Coupe IMHO was a disaster! Even the sunroof was a laugh....you could only tilt. Also seats were stiff and uncomfortable (drove one as a loaner car....absolutely hated it). Only thing it had going for it was looks...that's all. Best start from scratch and make the ELR a coupe.
    Where did you get that it was a disaster? I will give you that the sunroof wasn't well thought out, but aside from that my understanding is that the car and design has been well received. Go on the CTS forums and most everyone loves their coupes.

The seats in the coupe are the same as the sedans.

The rear seat is small and getting back there is a challenge, but guess what? It's a coupe. The CTS coupe was compared against an Infiniti G coupe and the CTS had more room (once you got yourself back there). The BMW, Audi and Benz coupes are no better, but I wouldn't call them disasters either. Complaining about the rear seat in a coupe is like buying a CTS-V and complaining about the gas mileage.

C&C
    C&C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

JMO, but I see the CTS Coupe going down in history as a classic icon (i.e. classic collectible) in the future. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Where did you get that it was a disaster? I will give you that the sunroof wasn't well thought out, but aside from that my understanding is that the car and design has been well received. Go on the CTS forums and most everyone loves their coupes.

The seats in the coupe are the same as the sedans.

The rear seat is small and getting back there is a challenge, but guess what? It's a coupe. The CTS coupe was compared against an Infiniti G coupe and the CTS had more room (once you got yourself back there). The BMW, Audi and Benz coupes are no better, but I wouldn't call them disasters either. Complaining about the rear seat in a coupe is like buying a CTS-V and complaining about the gas mileage.
    Just my opinion. Perhaps disaster is a little harsh. I think it too heavy, performance sluggish and responsiveness average at best....harsh ride and the hidden doors handles awkard to open. Rear visibility is as bad as it gets, it forces the driver to rely almost solely on the parking sensors and rear view camera when in reverse. Don't get me wrong; it's a sharp looking car with nice lines...but as my neighbor who had one said: what good is a good looking car if it has flaws you can't live with? Was not impressed and I had it a week. I could hardly wait to get my ATS back from service....p.s. I'm not that crazy about the CTS sedan as well; I was an STS owner and again, IMHO there was no comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3

Just my opinion. Perhaps disaster is a little harsh. I think it too heavy, performance sluggish and responsiveness average at best....harsh ride and the hidden doors handles awkard to open. Rear visibility is as bad as it gets, it forces the driver to rely almost solely on the parking sensors and rear view camera when in reverse. Don't get me wrong; it's a sharp looking car with nice lines...but as my neighbor who had one said: what good is a good looking car if it has flaws you can't live with? Was not impressed and I had it a week. I could hardly wait to get my ATS back from service....p.s. I'm not that crazy about the CTS sedan as well; I was an STS owner and again, IMHO there was no comparison...
    There isn't anything about the car that I can't live with. The only thing that concerned me was reliability me as I came from 20 years of Acuras. So far though, so good though. Rear visibility isn't the best, but then again it is a coupe.

Performance, it could use a bit more power, but 0-60 in the low 6s isn't necessarily bad. With the 3.6 you do have to get the revs up to get it going, and weight has always been the one criticism of all GM cars. The ATS is supposed to change that. The coupe comes with the FE2 suspension which is a step firmer than the base CTS sedan. If you thought the FE2 was bad, you should have experienced the FE3 that comes with the sport package. It is pretty much a track set up. MRC isn't offered in the CTS unless you get the V.

I guess in the end that's why people drive different cars. I'm excited about the ATS from a performance standpoint. I do think the sedan looks too much like softened CTS sedan. A compromise that was made for the Chinese market.

As for the ELR, it is gorgeous, and it looks like a shrunken CTS coupe.

Good luck with your ATS.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    There isn't anything about the car that I can't live with. The only thing that concerned me was reliability me as I came from 20 years of Acuras. So far though, so good though. Rear visibility isn't the best, but then again it is a coupe.

Performance, it could use a bit more power, but 0-60 in the low 6s isn't necessarily bad. With the 3.6 you do have to get the revs up to get it going, and weight has always been the one criticism of all GM cars. The ATS is supposed to change that. The coupe comes with the FE2 suspension which is a step firmer than the base CTS sedan. If you thought the FE2 was bad, you should have experienced the FE3 that comes with the sport package. It is pretty much a track set up. MRC isn't offered in the CTS unless you get the V.

I guess in the end that's why people drive different cars. I'm excited about the ATS from a performance standpoint. I do think the sedan looks too much like softened CTS sedan. A compromise that was made for the Chinese market.

As for the ELR, it is gorgeous, and it looks like a shrunken CTS coupe.

Good luck with your ATS.
    I guess that's why I went to a certain extent with the STS....the CTS was too angular for my tastes, especially the back end which bulged out with the scultptured accent. The soft lines of the ATS greatly appeals to me in that it is more of a timeless and classic look. That's the great thing about these cars.....each model has something for everyone. The handling of the ATS is amazing....(I have the turbo) very noticeable when you switch between Cadillac models. Your are spot on about some of these suspensions.....I chose comfort and handling over a harsh ride on a car that I never intend to take on a track. Have fun with your CTS!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.