Hard Disc Dirve
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Hard Disc Dirve in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Is there an option for a Hard Disc Drive in the ATS....
    CMulcahy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hard Disc Dirve

Is there an option for a Hard Disc Drive in the ATS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Re: Hard Disc Dirve

Quote Originally Posted by CMulcahy View Post
    Is there an option for a Hard Disc Drive in the ATS.
    Indirectly. There is a USB port underneath the CUE system, being the AC buttons, that has lots of space for a USB hard drive. Just plug one in and the CUE system will find all music.

But why not use a 32GB or 64GB USB stick? It'll hold plenty of music already.

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Yeah, a hard disk isn't really as great of an option as they used to be. As blue_skies mentioned, a usb thumb drive is a great option that's much more portable as well. I've got a 32gig plugged in behind the CUE face, may decide to get a 64gig SD card at some point to leave in the center console if the music collection grows

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

While it is true that a USB drive reduces the need for a HDD to store music, the HDD drive also allows you to timeshift (like a DVR) music on the radio. I have that on my CTS and it's nice feature.

jamboarder is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    While it is true that a USB drive reduces the need for a HDD to store music, the HDD drive also allows you to timeshift (like a DVR) music on the radio. I have that on my CTS and it's nice feature.
    There's already a timeshift feature for radio. Technically a hraddrive isn't required to timeshift. All that's needed is storage, which I assume CUE already has internally.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    USB, SD, or Hard Drive could do that *if* that feature is already part of the system; memory is memory in this case. Although HDDs are cheaper when it comes to size, they're not well suited for the car environment (changes in temp, humidity, and vibration). Laptop or portable drives are a bit more rugged than their home equivalents, you'll pay extra for it

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

I agree that a HDD drive (by the true definition of a spinning disk) is not needed to timeshift. I got the impression that the ATS didn't have an internal storage device (whether a true HDD or flash) and as such assumed that the ATS didn't have the timeshift feature.

I think somethimes the term is used as a general statement for internal storage. As for the CTS, it is named a HDD, but I'm not certain if it is a true HDD or if it's just internal flash storage.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

You can time shift only by 25 minutes on a ATS.

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

FWIW, I think the manual explicitly says it does not support HDDs. Not sure why and I haven't tested it. But don't be surprised if you run into some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    FWIW, I think the manual explicitly says it does not support HDDs. Not sure why and I haven't tested it. But don't be surprised if you run into some issues.
    usually this is due to power limitations (when regarding USB). Some portable drives get by this by drawing power from 2 usb ports instead of just 1

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    HDDs need to be formatted to the device. Even if you plug one in to a Playstation 3 or PC, the master device (CUE, in this case) has to have the software to format the HDD.

Because of the wealth of options to bring your media into the car (3 USB, SD card, Bluetooth streaming, Pandora and AUX in), making CUE able to format a portable HDD would be a waste of engineering time and money.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

CTS is indeed a HDD. 40GB. I had a LOT of music on mine, then my CTS was totaled. :-) It also holds the nav data.

MikeFKMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

There are unconfirmed reports that they will offer it on MY2014.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.