Power steering issue
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Power steering issue in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have about 600 miles on my ATS 3.6 Premium. When I was driving home today I took a corner ...
    Illini333 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium

Power steering issue

I have about 600 miles on my ATS 3.6 Premium. When I was driving home today I took a corner in sport mode and the strangest thing happened. The car over steered and I do mean the car, not me. When I went to correct it the steering felt sluggish for lack of a better word. Then shortly thereafter an alarm went off and on the display was something like "service power steering, please drive carefully". Luckily I was only a couple miles from home and the alarm went off two more times. Once I switched back to touring mode I did not get the error. Has anyone else experienced this? At first it did not phase me much but now that I think about it, this is a potentially dangerous issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Re: Power steering issue

I have a 3.6 Luxury. It's doesn't have the magnetic ride control so no shock adjustment in sport mode, but I *think* it changes the steering response along with the transmission shifting. I drive it in sport a fair amount and can't tell any steering difference though and have never had problems. (and I can only tell a slight difference in the transmission shifts). But, no I haven't experienced this.

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00 View Post
    I have a 3.6 Luxury. It's doesn't have the magnetic ride control so no shock adjustment in sport mode, but I *think* it changes the steering response along with the transmission shifting. I drive it in sport a fair amount and can't tell any steering difference though and have never had problems. (and I can only tell a slight difference in the transmission shifts). But, no I haven't experienced this.
    I read about this once.. it definitely says that Sport mode adjusts shifting AND steering. I don't spend too much time in Sport mode but I have taken corners pretty aggressively to play with the car and never had any issues. When you put it back in sport mode does the error come back? How about after you take some turns?

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Illini333 View Post
    I have about 600 miles on my ATS 3.6 Premium. When I was driving home today I took a corner in sport mode and the strangest thing happened. The car over steered and I do mean the car, not me. When I went to correct it the steering felt sluggish for lack of a better word. Then shortly thereafter an alarm went off and on the display was something like "service power steering, please drive carefully". Luckily I was only a couple miles from home and the alarm went off two more times. Once I switched back to touring mode I did not get the error. Has anyone else experienced this? At first it did not phase me much but now that I think about it, this is a potentially dangerous issue.
    I would definitely get it into the dealership for service ASAP.....sounds like the electronic power steering gear problem..

Where is the Cadillac rep that lurks on the DTS board always wanting to set up service appointments? Wouldn't this be a good time to help out? Just sayin'.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Where is the Cadillac rep that lurks on the DTS board always wanting to set up service appointments? Wouldn't this be a good time to help out? Just sayin'.
    Why do you need a Cadillac rep to respond on this board? The car is brand new and still has close to 50,000 miles left in warranty. I'm sure the poster bought his car from a dealer or did the Cadillac fairy leave one in his driveway? I know if I had an issue my dealer would hear from me right away and he can figure it out. I know I wouldn't be depending on some internet guru to fix my brand new car from his keyboard. Just sayin'.
    huna, huna and ben.gators like this.

The Cadillac rep. is a matter of principle. I'm annoyed that when I post problems with my 2007 DTS they're all over it, but when I post issues with my 2013 ATS they ignore it. Some of the issues I've complained about could be how the car is designed. Others may be a setting in CUE. Or, maybe it's a design flaw (I don't mean to hijack this thread, so my apologies. This is the last I'll mention it.) If this is the case, can't they chime in and help out? Clearly this power steering issue is serious. So where is the lady that is always offering to make service appointments for the old cars? I think that if they acknowledge issues here, it will tarnish their new product, which also annoys me. Either be consistent with your customers or go away completely. And since I know they're reading this, it's aimed at them and not ya'll.

----------

And Inlini333 I would take the car back to the dealer ASAP. If the power steering fails in sport mode, it could possibly fail in any mode so it's a huge safety issue. My ATS was towed back to the dealer with 59 miles on it because they didn't connect thhe shifter cable to the transmission and it came off, disabling the car. We are on the "bleeding edge" of these cars so any variety of things can go wrong. Don't risk your safety.

Illini333 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium

I am going to take it to the dealer. For now I am driving my "back-up" vehicle ..... My corvette. . I did drive it a little bit more though and it did not happened again.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

I have 3.6 Luxury as well. The change in steering feel (stiffness) and transmission response is vast. For highway driving, the sports mode makes the car feel much easier to handle (no floppy feel) than the touring mode. Both modes do stiffen at higher speeds, but the sports mode is the way to go.

As to the transmission, the effect is governed by your foot position on the throttle. The PAL (?) algorithm allows for a much freer revving engine in sports mode than in touring mode. In fact, it works so well, that there is absolutely no need for paddle shifters, unless you want to take it to the track.

The Luxury, Performance and AWD have the benefit (imo) that sports mode and stiffened suspension are decoupled (by the virtue that they don't have MRC. On the Premium, I wish that the Cadillac engineers separate the sports mode from the stiffened suspension, as the stiffened suspension is only desirable on smooth pavements.

To confuse everyone, Cadillac names the touring suspension "Sports Suspension", on the non MRC models.

----------

Did the alarm go off in both left-hand and right-hand corners? If not, this could point to a design flaw (centrifugal oil shifts?)

The difference between Premium (RWD) and all other models is that in Sports mode the suspension also changes to a stiffer setting (MRC algorithm). [In all cars the Sports mode changes the transmission algorithm and the steering wheel stiffness]

I can see the MRC sports suspension being harsh and a wheel therefore breaking traction or skidding otherwise, but do not see why that would trigger a power steering warning, unless your power steering pressure suddenly dipped down.

Have the dealer check it out, I hope that it is a one-off (and one-time) occurrence.

But the power steering is electric. Would that change the theory?

VSS
    VSS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T 6-Sp M

I just had the same thing happen to me. I took delivery yesterday of an ATS 2.0T with a manual transmission, and this morning I got the "power steering" service message, and the steering assist wasn't working. It took some muscle to get it to pull over - a bit of a shock given how responsive the steering usually is. I turned the car off and back on, which seemed to clear the problem for now. But not a great first day with the car. Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, how was it fixed?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I am going to take it to the dealer. For now I am driving my "back-up" vehicle ..... My corvette. . I did drive it a little bit more though and it did not happened again.
    Illini333, I'm very sorry that this frustration occurred so soon after getting your ATS, and I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress! Please know your safety is of utmost importance to Cadillac. If you would like any assistance working with your dealer, I'm just an email away at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    I just had the same thing happen to me. I took delivery yesterday of an ATS 2.0T with a manual transmission, and this morning I got the "power steering" service message, and the steering assist wasn't working. It took some muscle to get it to pull over - a bit of a shock given how responsive the steering usually is. I turned the car off and back on, which seemed to clear the problem for now. But not a great first day with the car. Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, how was it fixed?
    I realize you're looking for responses from other owners, VSS, but I do recommend checking in with your dealer if you have any concerns. And please do email me if you would like any further assistance along the way!

The Cadillac rep. is a matter of principle. I'm annoyed that when I post problems with my 2007 DTS they're all over it, but when I post issues with my 2013 ATS they ignore it. Some of the issues I've complained about could be how the car is designed. Others may be a setting in CUE. Or, maybe it's a design flaw (I don't mean to hijack this thread, so my apologies. This is the last I'll mention it.) If this is the case, can't they chime in and help out?
    AtlantaGuy, I just wanted you let you know that I agree -- we should be posting on this thread! Any customer concerns definitely merit our attention, especially concerns that involve a customer questioning their safety. I was out of the office for an extended amount of time for the holidays at the time this thread was created, and I'm sorry that this particular thread was only brought to my attention today.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    dave13 and dave13 like this.

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

Thanks Katie for stepping up and taking notice. As new owners of a new model I would expect GM would be very interested in any issues we are seeing in order to possibly see a pattern forming. Myself and a couple of others have seen some engine stumbling on the 2.0T when stopped but its been very intermittent. Hard to repeat so just watching it for now.
    dave13 and dave13 like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thank you, zr1mom! Please do let me know if you would like me to step in and investigate at any point; I welcome private messages and emails.

Katie

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Thank you, zr1mom! Please do let me know if you would like me to step in and investigate at any point; I welcome private messages and emails.

Katie
    Thanks Katie! Will do!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.