Cold feet anyone? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Cold feet anyone? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Your cars are under warranty...take them in and get them fixed! Auto fans are set to preset temps before they ...
    rustybear3 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: Cold feet anyone?

Your cars are under warranty...take them in and get them fixed! Auto fans are set to preset temps before they kick in; modules or actuators need to be reset or replaced....what you guys are describing is not normal and needs to be corrected by your dealership.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    There is a thread on e CTS forum that covers this too.

Keep in mind that the HVAC will behave based on what it "thinks" the ambient temperature is.

For example, let's say you're car is parked in the garage and the temperature is 60 degrees in there, but the actual outdoor temp is 32. When you first start the car it may start to blow cold air until the outside temperature gauge catches up to what the real temp is.

I park my car in the garage. When start it up in the morning I will notice that it is faintly blowing air, that is until I pull out of the garage and as the temp drops (meaning heat is required) the fan stops and doesn't start blowing until the car has sufficiently warmed up.

I suspect the ATS works in a similar fashion.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    There is a thread on e CTS forum that covers this too.

Keep in mind that the HVAC will behave based on what it "thinks" the ambient temperature is.

For example, let's say you're car is parked in the garage and the temperature is 60 degrees in there, but the actual outdoor temp is 32. When you first start the car it may start to blow cold air until the outside temperature gauge catches up to what the real temp is.

I park my car in the garage. When start it up in the morning I will notice that it is faintly blowing air, that is until I pull out of the garage and as the temp drops (meaning heat is required) the fan stops and doesn't start blowing until the car has sufficiently warmed up.

I suspect the ATS works in a similar fashion.
    My old STS worked in exactly that fashion.

The ATS (and XTS for that matter) use the new HVAC control (and CUE interface) and it gets somewhat confusing.

There is auto-everything, auto-air-flow direction, auto-fan-speed and auto-temperature control. You can, similarly to the older systems, override the air-speed, the air-flow and the temperature, while maintaining auto-mode for the other settings.

But this is not intuitive - you are very likely to drop into a 'manual' mode and then you are stuck with the system blowing as set. Getting it back into auto mode is also not intuitive. Just pressing 'auto' does not always what I want.

I am keeping the ATS now in auto-mode and only change air speed or temperature, and the effect has become less. I don't know if the system really behaves like the older systems, or that it is because I set the air-speed to a much lower level, so my feet don't freeze off before the engine heats up. Either way, it remedies the issue somewhat.

Also, the front and rear defogging modes as well as the outside/inside air select buttons work with auto mode, if I understand it correctly.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

I took the car in today and they updated the softwear with 3 updates. I don't know if this will help or not. I've already noticed that it didn't affect the "clicking" noise that emits from the dash when the heat is on, so it will have to go back for that. But the updates were specific to the HVAC system so maybe my other issues will be addressed. Time will tell.

Last of a Breed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm having an issue where I'll shut the fan off but after a few minutes of driving the fan will kick back on the lowest setting on its own. I'm pretty sure I have the auto off as well. It gets aggravating when the cabin is where you want it, yet the heat keeps kicking on.

This happen to anyone else? Is there an option in the menu settings to shut of auto climate?

I was able to test the HVAC issue of the fan cutting off and it's very, very difficult to get it on again when the car is remote started. Even after the softwear update, it still does that. However, I've come to realize that it's only if I use the OnStar App to start the car. It's not a problem if I use the key fob to remote start the car. So, I just won't do it that way anymore. However, the airflow is still blowing air in "bi level" like it or not when it shoud be directed at the floor (even when trying to do it manually, no change) and the grinding noise is still present. The car will go back to the dealer at the first of the year to have them address these issues again. Has anyone been succrssful in having this airflow and noise issue repaired yet? I'm sure a TSB will be issued on this at some point as so many here have the same complaints.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

[QUOTE=AtlantaGuy00;3164001]. Has anyone been succrssful in having this airflow and noise issue repaired yet?

I've been waiting two weeks for a new mode actuator to arrive. I'm still hearing the niose and my defroster vent blows regardless of setting.
    Bert

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00
    However, I've come to realize that it's only if I use the OnStar App to start the car. It's not a problem if I use the key fob to remote start the car.
    That sounds rather like OnStar is using the settings in your ATS while yor key fob is using personalized settings which can vary. That would likely be the design/intent ... but I am waiting for our ATS to be built so I cannot test this.

I'm not so much fussed with the fan issue since I've figured out that it only happens with the app, but that NOISE in the dash is driving me crazy!

huna is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Same problem here with the fan going to off. I always leave the climate control on AUTO. Always. Never change anything but the temp. When I use the app to start the car, the fan goes to OFF. To fix it, I push the climate control OFF button, then AUTO again. (As I recall, that has worked every time, but I'm not sure.)

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I'm sorry that this thread has just been brought to my attention today! If any of you would like me to explore your individual climate control frustrations further, please let me know. I will need the last eight of your VIN in order to research more in depth, but I'm certainly happy to do so! My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

EricDOhio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

"Cold Feet" has finally arrived for me. It was around freezing this morning and when I had the heat on I can assure you, the heat never hit my feet. Has anyone determined if it is possible to cut away some of the plastic underneath the dash and perhaps run some dryer hose? No joke here...I am just hoping that doesn't affect my lease at turn in.

I am open to any idea on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    My 2.0T ATS warms up almost instantaneously....only a minute or so with auto set at 72 degrees and temperatures 35 or colder outside....sounds like you guys have a thermostat issue.
    It's not that the engine doesn't warm up, it's the direction of the airflow going the wrong way (out the defroster and hardly directed at the floor) as well as a clicking/ grinding noise which sounds like the actuator door not closng properly when heat is called for.

[QUOTE=Bertha D Blues;3164136]
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00 View Post
    . Has anyone been succrssful in having this airflow and noise issue repaired yet?

I've been waiting two weeks for a new mode actuator to arrive. I'm still hearing the niose and my defroster vent blows regardless of setting.
    Bert
    Bertha, did the part ever arrive? I was curious for an update of the fix for your actuator door issue.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

[QUOTE=AtlantaGuy00;3181170]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Bertha, did the part ever arrive? I was curious for an update of the fix for your actuator door issue.
    My mode actuator arrived as did one for another ATS that was having the same problem. My service rep and I decided to wait until the actuator in the other car was replaced to see if that fixed the problem. It didn’t. It was a 2-day job to remove the whole dash for the repair so I only want it done once. My rep drove two other ATS’s on the lot and one of those had the same problem. We haven’t decided what to do at this point. Wait until Engineering has a definite fix? Replace part after part? One thing is certain, I cannot live with this much longer and I hope things don’t get ugly.

Bert

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.