Cadillac Owners Forum banner

ATS CUE Problems

27K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Fraggy 
#1 ·
I just picked up my 2.0 ATS yesterday and noticed a few problems with CUE on the drive home.

Wanted to know if anyone had experienced these and if they could offer any advice. Some additional information about my set up, I have an iPhone 5 connected via Bluetooth and a 30 gig iPod video connected via USB.

Here are the issues in no particular order:

1.) Pandora app on CUE will not connect on iPhone via BT.

2.) When switching back to iPod after being on XM or FM, the speakers make a "popping" noise.

3.) After one track is finished playing on the iPod and it moves to the next, the second song "skips" for about a second.

4.) When answering incoming calls, they automatically go to the handset instead of handsfree.

Has anyone else had these issues? I can handle the lagginess of CUE and a couple of other issues, but these are some major gripes that are really going to kill my experience witht he car.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Talk to your dealer. I'm sure there will be plenty of glitches that are going to be addressed as they happen. The good news about many of these problems is they can be fixed with some reflashes and other types of downloads I'm sure. I know I have had issues with my bluetooth in my Audi that at times can be frustrating. I just think its the nature of the beast. We expect so much from all these electronic gadgets and at times they just don't work as advertised.

#3 ·
1) I was told this was the way it was supposed to work. I'm not sure how accurate that is... but I at least knew ahead of time. If you want to use Pandora through CUE, it has to be plugged in. Maybe there's an issue sharing the data connection over bluetooth? If you open Pandora on your phone, and then stream it via bluetooth... that will work. But I understand that is less than ideal.

2) I've never experienced that

3) I get this, but not always. I haven't figured out when exactly it happens yet. Kind of annoying but it doesn't bother me as much as it should. I've just tried to be optimistic that little things like this will be fixed in future releases.

4) Never had this issue. I'm using an Android phone over blueooth (and a iPod classic plugged in).

Good luck with your issues! Hopefully there will be a release in the near future to address some of these bugs. Speaking of, has anyone heard anything about that? I'm surprised there wasn't a release that coincided with the SRX release... similar to how the ATS had a newer version than the XTS.

#5 ·
This has been my experience with CUE on the ATS:

1) Pandora will only work when plugged into USB.
2) I've not heard any popping noise when switching devices or to radio
3) Yes, I"ve had the same skipping problem when moving to the next song. I think it may be related to either shuffle mode (I have not had it happen in straight play mode) or CUE is still processing the playlist/songs upon startup.
4) Not had that problem. Incoming calls have gone straight to Handsfree.

My connections, for comparison, are iPod Classic 160GB (with about 60GB of music) via USB, iPhone 4 (for Spotify streaming purposes only) via USB, iPhone 4S via bluetooth. I find there is a long lag each time the car is started with CUE loading the playlist on the iPod Classic and can at times lock the iPod up. Spotify though works terrific (you have to just hit play on Spotify first to get it going, then the Cue next/previous controls work fine - including cover art).I keep a wi-fi hotspot in the car (plugged into another USB port for power) and that provides wi-fi signal to the iPhone 4 for Spotify.

Cue still has some hiccups when it comes to managing all of these devices, switching between them, etc. Hopefully in time Cadillac will find ways to improve the effiicency of reading a long ipod playlist and song list and download as an update. Otherwise, pretty satisfied with the performance of Cue especially considering how it can find songs across devices given enough time to load the playlists.

#7 ·
AZCADATS:

Thanks for the details. I am glad that you are seeing some of the problems that I am seeing. I am going to see what happens when I switch my iPod to a different one and make sure it just isn't the iPod hardware (though it works perfectly in my other cars and at the house).

----------

I've read about the iPhone 5 connectivity issue elsewhere - I think in the XTS forum, but I can't find it now. I think the conclusion was that it was an iPhone 5 issue, and certainly my 4S works fine.
I've not had any of the other issues, although I don't use Pandora.

The one issue I have with CUE is that is plays back songs from my ipod classic in alphabetical order rather than track order, which is pretty frustrating.
RXUYDC:

So the newer phone doesn't work properly? That sucks. Let me ask you this, are you running iOS6 on your 4S?

I too get frustrated that it plays songs in alphabetical order off of the playlists/albums.

#10 ·
My CUE plays pandora flawlessly via Bluetooth.

I have seen a few bugs here and there that can be frustrating. My biggest problem now is my phone contacts syncing up. When I first paired my phone the list popped up almost right away in the CUE contacts and recent calls. However, I noticed a lot of contacts were missing. So stupid me, I unpaired and deleted my phone thinking I could get it to sync again and maybe it just didn't finish downloading my whole contact list. Well now I can't get anything to show up. I even did a factory reset of CUE and still nothing. Any ideas?

#11 ·
Thanks for your info on pandora and bluetooth. After some additional checking, apparently accordingly to the CUE manual it is the iPhone specifically that needs USB to be connected but android and blackberry devices can use bluetooth for Pandora. This could be a mistake of course in the manual, but would make sense why I and a few others have not been able to get the iPhone to work with Pandora over bluetooth but has worked fine with USB.

#12 ·
Yea, I think you are right. Last night I was trying to help those with BT pandora problems by seeing if I did anything different and I couldn't get it to work at all with USB and BT switched off. So it's probably a matter of the phone. Time to get a new phone = P

Update, not sure what I did, but all my contacts are in there now. I just kept unpairing it and re pairing it until eventually my phone had a message that said CUE is trying to access your contacts.

#13 ·
I can get pandora to only work with iPhone 4 via usb.
i also get the skips when playing music from iphone 4.
i have another issue: when tring to find POI's in a destination city (while still at home), i could not get them to load for the destination city, even though i selected it. it actually was loading POI's either close to home or 50-60 miles from destination city... anyone else seen this?

#15 ·
In my case, with the iPhone 4 as my ipod connected via USB, the playlists do show automatically. However, it does often times take awhile until it shows up (sometimes as long as 10 minutes). When you hit the voice button and ask to play a playlist, does it say your device is not ready yet? If so, it seems to still be searching songs/playlists to load.

#16 ·
I believe rustybear's problem is when using a USB stick and playlist files. The CUE manual says it will read .m3u playlist files off the thumb drives and they aren't showing up for him. I tried the same thing with an SD card and ran into the same issue. They just don't show up. Works fine off my iPod via USB though.

#18 ·
Okay just went for a short drive and this time the SD Card actually found playlists and everything worked the way it should! I think this is why:

First off, when I first tried it I don't think it ever finished indexing the device. This time it showed the yellow spinner circle in the upper left for a while and once that went away, I went to the playlist section and they actually showed up and played. So i may have just not been patient enough the first time.

Secondly, and I think this is an important one: I modified my .m3u files. When you export them from iTunes they contain absolute file paths.... so and example like from my .m3u file looked like:

E:\My Music\Dave Matthews Band\Big Whiskey & The GrooGrux King\05 Why I Am.mp3

However when the car reads this file... that E:\My Music\ directory doesn't exist. So I did a quick find for " E:\My Music\ " and replaced it with " .\ ". Assuming that you place your .m3u files in the top level directory like I did, this might fix your problem. So the above line after the fix should look like:

.\Dave Matthews Band\Big Whiskey & The GrooGrux King\05 Why I Am.mp3

Lastly, My SD Card structure looked like this:

SD CARD
- Playlist1.m3u
- Playlist2.m3u
- Artist 1(Directory)
- Artist 2(Directory)
- Dave Matthews Band (Directory)

Does that make sense? Regardless of your directory structure, just make sure the .m3u files are using relative paths and not absolute ones. Hopefully this fixes your problem rustybear.

#19 ·
Okay just went for a short drive and this time the SD Card actually found playlists and everything worked the way it should! I think this is why:

First off, when I first tried it I don't think it ever finished indexing the device. This time it showed the yellow spinner circle in the upper left for a while and once that went away, I went to the playlist section and they actually showed up and played. So i may have just not been patient enough the first time.

Secondly, and I think this is an important one: I modified my .m3u files. When you export them from iTunes they contain absolute file paths.... so and example like from my .m3u file looked like:

E:\My Music\Dave Matthews Band\Big Whiskey & The GrooGrux King\05 Why I Am.mp3

However when the car reads this file... that E:\My Music\ directory doesn't exist. So I did a quick find for " E:\My Music\ " and replaced it with " .\ ". Assuming that you place your .m3u files in the top level directory like I did, this might fix your problem. So the above line after the fix should look like:

.\Dave Matthews Band\Big Whiskey & The GrooGrux King\05 Why I Am.mp3

Lastly, My SD Card structure looked like this:

SD CARD
- Playlist1.m3u
- Playlist2.m3u
- Artist 1(Directory)
- Artist 2(Directory)
- Dave Matthews Band (Directory)

Does that make sense? Regardless of your directory structure, just make sure the .m3u files are using relative paths and not absolute ones. Hopefully this fixes your problem rustybear.

I'll try that. The only problem I see is that I have to manually change each and every song in my playlist(s)....this could be very time consuming....must be an easier way.....maybe not :hmm:

#25 ·
Seems to be a random thing as to which artwork it likes to show....have same problem with my thumbdrive which has all artwork on the songs....puzzling that some show up and others don't....maybe it's a matter of having max values (resolution; size) for artwork pic? Most likely software glitch....how bout others out there?

#27 ·
Not sure if it's CUE-related but I set the middle screen of the DIC to the compass and occasionally when I start the car, it will revert to the Radio info screen, other times, it will start in the compass screen. It's pretty intermittent but annoying the same time.

#28 ·
I took my ATS into the dealership to review my CUE issues... The Service Manager discussed the problems with CUE engineering and they determined that it was a software compatibility issue between my iPod and the CUE. My iPod is from 2005 and the engineer said they did not design CUE to interface with such an older device... This sucks, but at least I know what my issue is...

Time to go out and buy a newer iPod touch...

#29 ·
I doubt if you'll see any difference...I have my songs on a brand new USB and the artwork was just as random. Solution? I mark down the songs on which the art work that didn't work, went into I-tunes and substituted artwork out for pictures (jpegs) of Artist or song art on google images then reloaded on thumb drive through doubletwist. It's hit or miss and no rhyme or reason at this point, regardless of device used. Maybe a software update at a later date?

#30 ·
Yes, I have the same problem with item #4. Was wondering if anyone with an IPhone 5 have figured out how to go straight to handsfree.

Wanted to know if anyone had experienced these and if they could offer any advice. Some additional information about my set up, I have an iPhone 5 connected via Bluetooth and a 30 gig iPod video connected via USB.

Here are the issues in no particular order:

1.) Pandora app on CUE will not connect on iPhone via BT.

2.) When switching back to iPod after being on XM or FM, the speakers make a "popping" noise.

3.) After one track is finished playing on the iPod and it moves to the next, the second song "skips" for about a second.

4.) When answering incoming calls, they automatically go to the handset instead of handsfree.

Has anyone else had these issues? I can handle the lagginess of CUE and a couple of other issues, but these are some major gripes that are really going to kill my experience witht he car.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.[/QUOTE]

#31 ·
Yes, I have the same problem with item #4. Was wondering if anyone with an IPhone 5 have figured out how to go straight to handsfree.

Dwilli:

I just got off the phone with Apple as I am still having the issue. No resolution yet.

However, the Apple Care rep (Seth) is raising the issue up to the engineers.

But we need everyone who is having the issue to call both Apple and CUE support so that both parties are working on a solution. If you (or anyone on this forum that is having the problem) has not already called in, please do so as soon as possible.

#35 ·
We've only had our car for two days, and we've seen none of the problems listed on previous posts.

But we cannot send a destination from our iPhone 4S. When we try, the CUE just says "Downloading Destination ..." As long as we leave it there. This will be quite an annoyance.

#41 ·
Try this. When you send the destination and cue says "downloading.." go back into onstar nav and send it again. I know this isn't the correct way but when ours hang up like that we just resend and it goes thru.

----------

One iOS feature to be aware of that sometimes trips people up: the iPhone will route audio by default to whichever device you use to place/answer a call. In other words, if you use the answer button on the iPhone screen to answer, the audio will be routed to the phone, even if its paired to one or more Bluetooth devices. You have to use the steering wheel or CUE buttons to answer to preserve call routing to the car. That said, several people report incorrect routing even when answering via the car's interfaces.
Agreed. This is actually a feature of the iphone that I hate because when it is connected and say you're listening to FM all your text message tones, mail tones, etc will not be audible. I wish there was a way to stay connected and still have all your tones stay audible.

#38 ·
The manual says that the iPhone must be connected to USB for the Pandora. Android can do it through bluetooth. I have the same problems with iPhone 5 when answering a call. It goes to my phone not the car speakers. There are several threads about this. They say it is an iPhone 5 problem that is happening on other makes of vehicles. However, I also have a 2007 Infinti G35 and my iPhone 5 works perfect with it.

#39 ·
My wife and I both have Iphone 4 and 4s respectively. Have NONE of the problems stated on this thread. Our calls go straight to hands free. You guys definitely have a Iphone 5 glitch problems IMO. Now there is a setting on these Iphones about receiving your calls on either your phone or vehicle speakers; however in my ATS, the Iphone automatically selects the vehicle speakers; after bluetooth and the Iphone is initialized by CUE when I start the car.

#42 ·
To fix audio through handsfree issues, update your iPhone to iOS 6.1. Many of the Bluetooth issues (including sound defaulting to the handset when answering calls via the steering wheel) have been corrected in the new software.

Pandora will work via BT, but only basic features like play and next song. Start Pandora on your phone, then press the "media" icon on the CUE screen until you get to BT. You'll see song info and be able to skip, but the full feature set (like, dislike, album art) is only available when connected to USB.

#43 ·
One of the problems I am having is when I'm playing music from my iPod that's plugged in via USB. I will be playing a specific album and when the car is turned off, then turned back on, the current song will finish and then CUE will automatically start playing songs on my iPod in random order, as opposed to starting with the next track on the current album I was listening to. All of the shuffle settings on my iPod and on the CUE are turned off, so I'm not sure why it's doing this. It only does this when the car is turned off then turned back on. Any one else experience this?

#44 ·
Hello mdfasoline

Thank you for your post and we apologize for the difficulty you’re experiencing with your entertainment system. I would like to investigate this issue further for you. If you would, please private message us your VIN #, vehicle mileage, address, full name and contact number I will look into this further.

Reggie B.
Cadillac Customer Care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.