Tried out automatic braking
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Tried out automatic braking in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Did not mean to but I tried out automatic braking that is part of the drivers assist package. I backed ...
    frankc5r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2.0 ATS Premium

Tried out automatic braking

Did not mean to but I tried out automatic braking that is part of the drivers assist package. I backed out of my
    garage and swung rear of car toward a flower bed. As the rear of car reached the bed, the car suddently slowed
    very quickly and stopped. It was the equivelant of me slamming on the brakes. It was kinda cool.
    I have tried the foward so far by coming up fast on a car ahead but it did not trigger a stop and I chickened out
    and stopped the car myself.
    Anyone else do any experiements???

frank
    investor74 and investor74 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    Hang a bed sheet, drive 20-30 through said sheet and see of the brakes apply...

----------

Don't do what Volvo did. Semi trucks aren't very forgiving....

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Re: Tried out automatic braking

Quote Originally Posted by frankc5r View Post
    Did not mean to but I tried out automatic braking that is part of the drivers assist package. I backed out of my
    garage and swung rear of car toward a flower bed. As the rear of car reached the bed, the car suddently slowed
    very quickly and stopped. It was the equivelant of me slamming on the brakes. It was kinda cool.
    I have tried the foward so far by coming up fast on a car ahead but it did not trigger a stop and I chickened out
    and stopped the car myself.
    Anyone else do any experiements???

frank
    I played around with the automatic braking a few times. It always works perfectly assuming you aren't already applying the brake. I've noticed if you are it will not stop you... I'm not sure if that's because the car isn't going fast enough or if it thinks the driver is already in control because they are braking.

What's interesting is that it doesn't brake in froward parking type situations like we described for reverse. I'm not convinced it does forward braking at all (although I was under the impression it did). I have gotten the forward collision alert (in the HUD and seat vibration) but not braking. I may have to do the sheet test like Its an ATS recommended to test it.

I've also confirmed the rear cross traffic alert works well on mine.

Frank, let me know if you make any developments on the front automatic braking.

Update: just double checked and the reason I was under the impression is because when you mouse over the "Driver Assist Package" in the Build Your Own feature for the ATS... one of the bullets is "Front and Rear Automatic Braking." So now I'm pretty interested and figuring this out.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Its an ATS
    Hang a bed sheet, drive 20-30 through said sheet and see of the brakes apply...

----------

Don't do what Volvo did. Semi trucks aren't very forgiving....
    That was a riot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNi1...e_gdata_player

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    Yea, I think I'll just do my own brakes. Lol

Just following up on this. I experienced automatic front braking for the first time the other day. I was pulling into a parking spot at the mall. It was up hill and a diagonal parking spot. It was also very snowy and slushy. So as I was pulling in the car was pointed at another vehicle (with the wheel turned of course). The car slowed down because of the snow and slush so I took my foot off the brake and gave it a little gas. The Driver Assist Package obviously didn't like this (because of the vehicle right in front of me) so it applied the automatic brakes and flashed the collision warning graphic on the HUD.

So apparently the ATS does have automatic front braking after all. As this thread indicates... they do advertise this in the Driver Assist Package that but I don't think anyone had experienced it yet (although many of us have successfully engaged the automatic rear braking). I still haven't done a higher speed test with a bed sheet like someone suggested. I'll probably give something like that a try once it warms up.

jreihsen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

I tested it last night with an empty cardboard box behind the car. It just push the box back. What am I missing?

BTW:
    Thanks for the video Big Jim. I can't stop laughing. But I do hope that the driver wasn't injured.

Quote Originally Posted by jreihsen View Post
    I tested it last night with an empty cardboard box behind the car. It just push the box back. What am I missing?

BTW:
    Thanks for the video Big Jim. I can't stop laughing. But I do hope that the driver wasn't injured.
    You have the Driver Assist Package, right? Assuming you do... the trick is that you can't brake at all. It's not meant to stop you if you are slowly backing into a parking spot with your foot on the brake (although in my opinion it still should). I think it assumes, since you're braking, that you've got it under control. When you are braking and approaching something, the seat will still vibrate (assuming you have Park Assist on) but it won't stop you automatically. To engage automatic braking you really need to just trust that it works and back up without your foot on the brake at all. You don't need to give it gas (although you can)... just make sure you don't have your foot on the brake.

It was tough getting used to this to show it off... because you really have to let your instinct go and trust the car.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Jreihsen, I'm interested in your updates if you attempt further troubleshooting! If you would like me to investigate the matter further for you, don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

OK Katie
    I repeated the test. I stood a ~14" cube box on the street an released everything and the car coasted right into the box, forward and backward. I repeated the test 4 times and and it stopped only once. If you would like, I can take a video Saturday, but I will have to continue to use the box as I have no truck handy.

I have however found that the adaptive cruise control seems to work well.

slowdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Still negotiating

I see this is a very bad idea. So you will let the computer brake for you. Trust a system instead of your own instincts. Not smart, then you play a game with other drivers to see if it works. Not smart, do you ever read the disclaimer in the owners manual?

Quote Originally Posted by slowdriver View Post
    I see this is a very bad idea. So you will let the computer brake for you. Trust a system instead of your own instincts. Not smart, then you play a game with other drivers to see if it works. Not smart, do you ever read the disclaimer in the owners manual?
    Huh? It's not a game. He's testing with a box and I was testing with a plastic garbage can just to see if it works and experience it so we know what to expect. I don't think any of us plan or hope to use the feature in a real situation. Lighten up....

Slow
    I'm not wealthy, but I paid $3300 for an option to help protect my wife (it's primarily her car). She is a very good driver, she's never had an accident and has no plans for purposely letting the auto braking do anything. I put it in the same category as seatbelts and have airbags which we hope to never use.

As for the not smart, you could be right. I haven't had an IQ test recently and I work in a group of engineers that seem real smart.

As it is new tech, I'm testing to make sure it will be there when if we ever need it. So far, the test results are not conclusive.

Katie
    Can you suggest any other tests?

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by slowdriver View Post
    No worries, if the system fails, Cadillac will assume all responsibility and you get off Scott free.

The problems that I have heard about similar systems is not that it works, it actually does, but that it works unexpectedly, e.g. when it detects an oncoming car, but does not see the bend in the road, and may slam your brakes unnecessary at high speeds.

Many drivers turn it off after a bad experience with a false scare.

I hope that the ATS system is truly a 'next generation' type of system...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jreihsen View Post
    Katie
    Can you suggest any other tests?
    I unfortunately can't suggest any test, reihsen, but I do suggest going to your Cadillac dealer to address this concern. Their specialized technicians may be able to shed some light on the matter for you, and document your concern. And please don't hesitate to email me with any additional feedback or queries -- I'm happy to document your feedback and results on my end of things as well.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.