Went for an ATS "fitting" today...
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Went for an ATS "fitting" today... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; As you can tell from my nick, I am one of extreme size. I'm really 6'11", 300 lbs. but my ...
    Sevenfeet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Went for an ATS "fitting" today...

As you can tell from my nick, I am one of extreme size. I'm really 6'11", 300 lbs. but my legs are longer than my torso proportionally so they really belong on someone 7' or 7'1". Being this height has had the effect of limiting what I can buy or rent among automobiles to a select few vehicles. If you've seen the Shaquille O'Neal commercial for the Buick Lacrosse...well, that's me in that car too. For example, when my wife wanted to buy a car last year, but the catch is that I had to be able to drive it too. So I went to several dealerships and completely eliminated entire brands including:

Toyota (my wife who holds a PhD in sustainability wanted a Prius...no dice)
    Nissan (no dice with the Leaf either)
    Chevrolet (ditto for the Volt, but the Traverse is ok)
    Honda
    Kia
    Hyundai
    Mitsubishi
    Mazda
    VW
    Ford
    Lincoln (well, I guess I could do the Navigator but my wife would never drive one)

What's left I can do includes certain specific models like:
    Chrysler 300 & Dodge Charger (my favorite car rentals when I travel on business...leg room for days)
    Buick Lacrosse (mentioned above) and Enclave)
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Acura RX
    Audi A8
    Mercedes S-class (but not E or C)
    Lexus LS, new GS is ok but not great
    BMW new 3 series and 7 series (but not the new 5 series)
    MINI

You can see a pattern here of larger (and usually expensive) cars which is one reason I've driven Cadillacs since college (a used '80 Deville back then). But there is one weird outlier...MINI. I can drive their entire line of cars because of MINI's efficient interior packaging and non-obtrusive dashboards. In fact we would have bought a normal MINI Cooper had it not been for the fact that in order for me to fit, the seat has to go back all the way until it meets the rear seat. That's not good when you have two kids, so after briefly considering the MINI Clubman, we settled on the Countryman. I wouldn't drive it long distance but it's ok around town.

Which brings me back to Cadillac. The ATS is an important car for the future of the brand and I consider myself a bit of a Caddy buff. But my dealer warned me that after they all sat in it at a dealer briefing earlier this summer that they thought I had no chance (and they mentioned me by name!). In fact the owner of the dealership said he would have thrown down his wallet on a bet that I couldn't have fit in it comfortably. And I've watch cars get smaller and smaller over the last 30 years to the point that I couldn't count on all Cadillacs to work for me. For example, the 2nd gen Escalade couldn't work because of the orientation of the column mounted gear shifter. And of course the XLR was actually worse than the Corvette it was based on.

So I looked around the ATS at the very tidy dimensions remarking that it looked handsomer in person than I'd seen in photos...much like a pressed suit. Given Caddy's recent propensity to make the shield grill the size of a steam locomotive cow-catcher (even on the XTS), I was wondering how the smaller shield grill was going to work since I never thought it worked on other cars like the XLR. I'm pleased to say that the execution of the styling works a lot better than I thought it would. I opened the door and really wasn't sure this was going to come even close to working. But I let the seat all the way back. Then I lowered the seat and fortunately that adjustment is on an include so I got some additional rear travel.

I lowered myself into seat and...

WOW, this actually seems ok. Well I could use a little more room between my right knee and the steering wheel but I've seen worse...and oh, I forgot to adjust the steering wheel. After telescoping the wheel toward me, I was faced with a very nice fit.

To put it in perspective, the recently late-2011 STS could not fit me because of the way the interior was packaged...and that was a much larger car. I've always liked the CTS (and I owned a 1st gen model a decade ago). In some ways it's better than the CTS since my knees don't block the HVAC controls in this car.

Comparing it to the list above, I can also fit in the BMW 3 series (the outgoing car and the new one). A couple of months ago I took a 328i on a rental for about 150 miles through New Jersey and while I certainly fit, I found the experience wanting since I could never get enough thigh support from the seat adjustment. This did not seem to be a problem in the ATS. Also, the seat in the lowered position gave me enough clearance for the sunroof, something the chopped roofline CTS Coupe can't provide for me.

Sadly, I probably won't consider the ATS for my next car. The main reason why is the same reason my wife didn't buy a MINI Cooper. Once you extend the seat all the way back (and the adjustment lowered all the way), it is impossible to put any human (grown-up or child) behind me, save a rear facing baby seat (and my youngest kid is six years old). I still want to drive it though and see what the fuss is about. Hopefully either Hertz or Avis will them at the rental counter soon to allow a long distance test drive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

idmd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Wow...I'm 6'5" and all torso (33" inseam) and while I fit comfortably if my hair was too poofy it would touch the ceiling.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Re: Went for an ATS "fitting" today...

You could always just remove the front drivers seat and just sit driving in the back seat with the kids

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

I came here to start my own thread but "seven feet" beat me to it.
    Can I assume this is "sevenfeet0" from the edmunds ""Townhall"?

I am 6'8" (almost 6'9") and I fit as well. Sat in one today.
    But heaven help the small child who has to sit behind me. LOL.
    I actually can pull the seat up a bit.

No go on a sunroof. My head hit on the left side.
    Beautiful interior bit I still don't understand the different stitching on the console.

I've got my dealer searching for a CTS sport wagon for me. But none exist with the options I want.

Sevenfeet- I've owned 3 SRXs, my current 2011 CTS and I also own a 2006 GTo.

Hi b4z!

Yeah, it's me. You and I are in the same boat although you've clearly had more budget to buy cars. I'm still on my 2005 SRX, especially since my wife upgraded to the 2011 MINI Countryman last year. Just replaced the battery today. My sales rep is thinking I'm never going to pull the trigger on a new car at this rate.

I'm not sure why my head situation seems to be different that others, although my torso may be shorter and my hair is definitely shorter (African American, closely cropped). It's still better than the CTS Coupe.

What are you looking for in a CTS Wagon? I think my dealership in Nashville has three of them.

C&C
    C&C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

"Sevenfeet", you briefly mentioned the XTS; what are your thoughts on that? If not now (cost?), maybe in a year or two (as a CPO).

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
    Hi b4z!

Yeah, it's me. You and I are in the same boat although you've clearly had more budget to buy cars. I'm still on my 2005 SRX, especially since my wife upgraded to the 2011 MINI Countryman last year. Just replaced the battery today. My sales rep is thinking I'm never going to pull the trigger on a new car at this rate.

I'm not sure why my head situation seems to be different that others, although my torso may be shorter and my hair is definitely shorter (African American, closely cropped). It's still better than the CTS Coupe.

What are you looking for in a CTS Wagon? I think my dealership in Nashville has three of them.
    Cool! My budget is not that great. I've done a lot of early lease termination deals and moved from one srx to another. I miss my '09. Should never have sold it and got the cts. We have a 27 month old now and it is just too small for our family on long trips.
    But it gets 28 mpg compared to the srxs 20 mpg at 80 mph. And 16 mpg on my wife's Tahoe.

The cts wagon idea is problematical because there really aren't any lease deals. I am looking for very rare combo. Performance package with 19" summer tires. There is only 1 in the US and it's. It not the color I want.
    Msrp is 47k.
    When I bought my '09 srx I got $13k off off a brand new car that had been sitting on the lot for 14 months!
    That's not gonna happen with a wagon.

So I am also looking at a base XTS with a lease price of $579 mo.
    With the XTS you get perforated leather and cue, which is extra on the ats. Base ats and cts are non perforated vinyl. And the XTS has way more legroom and a huge trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Cool! My budget is not that great. I've done a lot of early lease termination deals and moved from one srx to another. I miss my '09. Should never have sold it and got the cts. We have a 27 month old now and it is just too small for our family on long trips.
    But it gets 28 mpg compared to the srxs 20 mpg at 80 mph. And 16 mpg on my wife's Tahoe.

The cts wagon idea is problematical because there really aren't any lease deals. I am looking for very rare combo. Performance package with 19" summer tires. There is only 1 in the US and it's. It not the color I want.
    Msrp is 47k.
    When I bought my '09 srx I got $13k off off a brand new car that had been sitting on the lot for 14 months!
    That's not gonna happen with a wagon.

So I am also looking at a base XTS with a lease price of $579 mo.
    With the XTS you get perforated leather and cue, which is extra on the ats. Base ats and cts are non perforated vinyl. And the XTS has way more legroom and a huge trunk.
    Yeah, my dealer turns out to have six CTS Wagons on inventory (and they've even moved a few CTS-V Wagons over the last couple of years) but none of them have anything but 18" wheels. Unless you're going to order the car, I suggest you take the color they have and run with it.

As for the 2005 SRX, my continues to solder on but at 123K miles it is certainly showing its age. We bought it in 2005 to replace our 2003 CTS (with FE3 suspension, summer tires) because we had one two year old son and a daughter on the way. The CTS wasn't a good "hauling the kid and his crap" car but the SRX has been a mostly trusty servant. I'm glad I got the extended warranty since some things we had to replace were scary expensive, but right now its mostly been consumables....battery yesterday, tires recently, etc.

Someone asked if I fit in the XTS. That car is based on the Lacrosse's platform, so see my earlier comments about the Shaq commercial for Buick. I was not worried about fitting in this car. I haven't driven it yet but it seems to be a nice vehicle from the reviews. Magnetic shocks make what might be a boring experience interesting.

You can always ditch your wife's car for an Escalade Hybrid. I'm sure they'd lease that to you.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    "Sevenfeet", you briefly mentioned the XTS; what are your thoughts on that? If not now (cost?), maybe in a year or two (as a CPO).
    I do fit in the XTS. My feeling about the car is a bit mixed. I agree that this was probably not the vehicle that Cadillac needed in the lineup (a true range topper large car is better for the brand). But the GM bankruptcy screwed up a lot of things and this was the car they were going to get done and into dealers hands that at the time, had only one car family to sell. And there are still DTS customers out there that they wanted to bring back into the showroom.

For me personally, I'm still someone who likes sporty fun-to-drive cars even though I don't drive one right now. My holy grail vehicle is the CTS-V Wagon but I doubt I'm going to have budget for it before it's discontinued.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    You could always just remove the front drivers seat and just sit driving in the back seat with the kids
    If I could have a dollar for every time I heard the Police Academy joke...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.